You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00008 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

960. vyAmuhyathAm thriviDhathApamayE niDhAGhE
        mAyAvishEShajanithAsu marIchikAsu
        samspruShtashoUricharaNA charaNAvani! thvam
        sThEyA svayam Bhavasi nascharamE pumarThE

Oh Paaduka! In the world of Samsara, which is a sultry summer, in
which the three heats afflict us, we seek relief from the mirages of
sense-experiences, that are a consequence of Maya or Moolaprakriti
with its manifestations of sound, etc. At this moment of
disillusion, You cling to the Feet of the Lord firmly and declare to
us, `This is the Supreme Goal of Life'. It allays all our doubts and
we secure a steadfastness.

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkma 960

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam : Oh PaadhukE ! We suffer from
the three afflictions -- AdhyAthmikA , AadhiboudhikA and
Adhidhaivika --of SamsArA and are emaciated by the heat of Maaya
based on the admixture of Rajas , Tamas and Satthva . We get lost in
this mirage. You take Your hands and touch Your Lord's feet and show
them to us very clearly. You point out that those holy feet are the
highest goal for us so that we can get relief from the three
samsAric afflictions and feel cool and comfortable . You bless us
with that type of true knowledge.

2) SrIamth Andavan's anubhavam: Due to the power of our ancient
karmAs, we are bound by the three guNams and engage in pursuit of
transient and perishable things linked to SamsAram . We have hence
nothing but sorrows and pain. We run after the mirage and tire. At
this time of our suffering, You point out Your Lord's sacred feet to
which You are linked and identify them as Parama PurushArTam ( the
ultimate goal of life ). You show us that those sacred feet are our
upAyam and phalan for overcoing samsAric sufferings . Inspite of all
these efforts on Your part, we do not learn and get tossed around in
the waves of SamsAram . What a pity ?

3)Oh CharaNAvani ! You are touching the sacred feet of the Lord
( Thvam samsprushta Souri charaNA ). We are deluded by the mirages
of the summer of samsAram as a result of our exposures to
the three kinds of tApams ( Thrividha TaapamayE nidhAdhE ,
mAyaa visEsha janithAsu mareechikAsu vyAmuhyathAm na: ).
For suffering souls like us , Oh PaadhukE ! You serve as
the remover of the doubts about which real pools of water to drink
for gaining Moksham and to stay away from the mischevous mirages
( charamE pumarTE svayam sTEyA bhavasi) ...(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM