You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00019 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

956. mAtharmukundhakaruNamapi nihnuvAnAth
         kim vA param kimapi kilbiShathO madhIyAth
         gADam gruhIthacharaNAgamanApadhEshAth
         thathprEraNapraNayinI thava chEnna lIlA

Oh Mother Paaduka! If You were to pronounce that my sin is so
powerful, let me tell You this:-You get hold of the Lord's Feet
firmly and take Him over to various places in the pretext of His
strolls all around. It is Your sport to help me too! If this were
absent, then it only means that my sin, that compels me to refuse
and negate the Karuna of the Lord, the Moksha-giver, is the greatest
force on earth! How else will I be denied the Lord's grace in spite
of Your effort?

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan

SlOkam 956

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: Citing the excuse of Your Lord's
external travel , You tightly cling to Your Lord's feet and make
sure thaT He comes my way . If I do not have Your intervention , my
huge sins will prevent Him from showing mercy to me. You bring Him
over to me and that serves as my atonement  to banish my sins .If
you did not help, I will be unhappy and complain that Your Lord is
merciless. How can I then praise adequately Your help ?

2) SrImath Andavan anubhavam : Oh PaadhukE ! You have
unlimited affection (Vaathsalyam ) for me.Due to my limited
intellect and unlimited sufferings , I assessed that You are
indifferent to me and spoke rudely to you and complained that
You are indifferent . Please pardon me for this apachAram.
My sins are huge. The Lord is there to forgive the sinners
and is ready to confer Bhogam and Mosham due to His
limitless dayA . My Paapams however prevent the Lord's
sahaja krupA coming my way . At this juncture , You perform
a MahOpakAram . You use the external excuse of bringing PerumAL
out of His sanctum for ullAsa sanchAram and hold on to His sacred
feet tightly and pray for my upliftment . You make it possible for
me, who did not get inside the Lord's temple and bring the Lord
before me to chase away my paapams . If you had not taken this
initative , there would be no sambhandham between me and my
Lord ;  He would have ignored me and that would have led to
my total destruction . My paapams would have won in that case.
Swamy  Desikan expresses sorrow (nirvEdham ) over the power of
his paapams for our sake .

3)  SWamy Desikan states that there is nothing more exalted than
the DayA of the Paadhukai that propells it to intervene on behalf of
the bhaddha Jeevans and make the recommendations to
the Lord . He queries in a rhetorical sense : Is there anything
superior than the DayA of the Paadhukais to achieve the Lord's
intervention ? ( Param kimapi kim vaa? ). The Paadhukai uses
the excuse of taking the Lord for a walk and holds tightly to His
feet during that sanchAram ( gamanApadEsAth ghADam gruhItha
charaNA ). The eager Paadhukai egg the Lord to engage in His role
as the protector of all paapis  ( Tath PrEraNa praNayinee Tava
leelA ). If that intervention and appeal were not there , then there
would be no hope of gaining moksham by the samsAris ( prEraNa
praNayanee Tava leela na chEth , Mukundha: Mu Ku na dadhAthi) ...
(V.S)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM