From: "Narayanan" <naray@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 10:25 AM
Subject: [Oppiliappan] Meaning for the paasuram

> Hello All,
> I am new to this group. I am ignorant about a lot of things. So,
> please bear with me if my question is silly.
>
> I would like to know the word by word meaning of the paasuram
>
> senRAl kudayAm irunthAl singAsanamAm
> ninRAl maravadiyAm nILkadalul enrum
> puNaiyam maNivilkkam pUmpattAm pulgum
> aNiyAm thirumArkaravu
>
> I understand that this is a beautiful paasuram on Adiseshan
> which Poigayar gave us in Mudhal Thiruvantadi describing him
> as umbrella, throne etc.. I would like to have the meaning
> of everyword in this paasuram. My father chants this as a part
> of daily thiruvaradhanam. I never asked him to explain this.
> I would be greatful if someone explained this.
>
> adiyEn,
> Narayanan

Dear SrI NarayaNan :

Yes , this is a beautiful Paasuram dealing with
AzhwAr's admiration for Adhi Seshan and his desire to
emulate him in Bhagavath Kaimkaryam as
a servant of the Lord .

This Paasuram is used to remind ourselves of
our relationship as  Seshan ( JeevAthmA )
to the Sarva Seshi (the Universal Lord ) ,
whose property and wealth we are. This is
called Sambhandha Jn~Anam in a nut shell .

The primordial )Aaadhi) Seshan , who performs
many Kaimkaryams for the Lord in this Context is
Exemplary AadhisEshan . No time is more appropriate than
Bhagavath AarAdhanam to remind ourselves of
thsi Sambhanda Jn~Anam celebrated in Thirumanthiram
or AshtAksharam . Adhi Seshan is the prime example of
one who demonstrates Seshathvam ( being a bonded
servant ) to the Lord as part of the Svaroopam ( inherent
Nature) of the Seshan or JeevAthma .

Prior to the word by word meaning , Dr.V.N. Vedantha
Desikan's sumamry of the meaning of this Paasuram
will be useful:

" What a veriety of proximate services (antharanga
Kaimakryam ) does Adhi SeshA perform to the Lord ,
Sriya: Pathi ! When the Lord moves about , Adhi Seshan
serves  as an umbrella ; When the Lord is seated ,
he constitutes the throne ; When the Lord stands
he (Adhi Seshan ) is the foot sandals( PaadhukAs);\
he becomes the soft couch  for the Lord to recline on
in theMilky Ocean ; Adhi Seshan provides the eternal
auspicous lamp by the light radfiated by his hood
gems. For the Lord , he acts as the divine garment ;
he will become the pillow either to cause a distancing
in divine love-play  or to substitute himself as a pillow
in the place of the consorts , when they are estranged !
Sesha is engaged in  all aspects of Sevai to his Lord ! " .

Swamy AlavanthAr ,  one of the PoorvAchAryAs of
AchArya Raamanuja used this paasuram to pay his
tribute to the Sarva Seshthvam of Adhi Seshan
in the 40th SlOkam of his SthOthra Rathnam and
the first slOkam of his ChathusslOki ( PhaNi Pathi:
SayyAsanam Vaahanam- - - ) .

Word by Word Meaning
*************************
ThirumARkku = for the Lord , who is SrIman NaarAyaNan

aravu = Adhi SEshan , the great serpent

senRAl kudai aamm = He is the umbrella , when
the Lord moves around ( sanchAram) to protect
his Lord from the elements as it were . He stretched
his hoods over the baby KrishNan during the crossing of
the river by Vasudevan to move the Lord from the prison
of Kamsan to Gokulam on the dark and rainy night .

irunthAl SingAsanam aamm = He is the throne for the lord
to sit in SrI Vaikuntam ( Parama Padha Naathan).

ninRAl mara adi aamm = When the Lord stands , Adhi Seshan
becomes HIs Paadhukai and serves Him .

NeeL kadaluL = In the wide MIlky ocean

yenRum puNayAm = Adhi Seshan becomes the requisite
bed for his Lord always .

aNI viLakku aamm = Adhi Seshan also serves as
the MangaLa dheepam thru the radiant gems
decorating his thousand hoods .

poompattu aamm = Adhi Seshan also serves as
the vasthram and parivattam ( Silken garmnets/
PeethAmbharam) .

pulhum aNai aamm = Adhi Seshan serves at appropriate
times as the pillow for embracing .

Thus Adhi Seshan does Kiamkaryam to his Lord
in all places , times and state ("Sarva dEsa , Sarva kaala ,
Saarvaavasthai   Kaimkaryams " ) . Azhwar is thrilled to recall
this kaimkaryam of the Parama BhAgavathan , Adhi Seshan
and wishes to be blessed with such boons of service
to the Lord .

V.Sadagopan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM