You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00205 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

997 ajaniShi chiramAdhoU hantha dhEhEndhriyAdhi-
       sthadhanu thadhaDhikassannIshvarOham baBhUva
       aTha Bhagavatha evABhUvamarThAdhidhAnIm
       thava punarahamAsam pAdhukE Dhanyajanma

Oh Paaduka! At first, I lived for a long time in total disregard of
the Atma, imagining that I have to please my body only. Then I
learnt and realized that I had a soul different from the physical
body but that too did not give the correct status for me, since I
assumed an independence of will and action, negating the all-
controlling Lord. Then by an accident, I realized that my soul is
for the service and pleasure of the Lord. That marked my reformation
into a treatment of my soul as the Lord's, that is Seshatva, a great
blessing indeed!

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkam 997

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: From early times , I regret that I
did not become Your servant. In the beginning  , I thought that the
body, faculty of senses, mind and knowledge snared me and held me in
their grips. During those times, I thought that I was the body or
the faculty of senses or the mind. After spending a long
time in this fashion, I recognized that they are not the Aathma and
that  became clear in my thinking. Then I thought that I was
independent aathmA ( Jeevan), who is equal to the Lord and suffered
from wrong identification ( like HiraNyakasipu). Finally,  I realized
that I am the unconditional servant of SrIman Narayana alone. Now I
recognize that service to the Lord's BhagavathAs is greater than
even the direct service to the Lord Himself. Hence, I have become
Your ( PaadhukA's) servant. I have reached the highest status as a
result of being Your servant ( PaadhukA sEvakan).

2) Srimath Andavan's anubhavam: Here, Swamy  Desikan thinks about
the bhAgyam conferred by the Paadhukais on him with utter
gratefulness. He compares his earlier sad lot and how the Paadhukais
changed all that and becomes intensely grateful.

Swamy  Desikan muses aloud : "Oh PaadhukE ! When I think of all
the anugrahms that have come my way thanks to Your benovelence,
I can not but feel grateful. I used to consider my Sareeram as the
aathmA and sought solely the nurture of my body. I led an animal
edition of human existence and entered many yonis as bird , beast
and insect. I spent aeons without knowing an iota of Bhagavath
Saasthrams. When I think of those terribly  wasted days, my heart
pounds with grief. Finally due to some ancient good fortune
(sukritha lEsam ), Bhagavath kaDAksham fell on me and I entered
human janmAs and developed the knowledge that the AathmA is
different than the body in which it resides and that seeking the
four purushArTams through Vedic karmAs is the right thing to do.
Bhagaavth KatAksham led to SadAchArya sambhandham and Tatthva
Jn~Anam. I became SeshabhUthan to the Lord and sought Your refuge.
Bhagavath Seshathvam pushed me further to its limit, BhAgavatha
Seshathvam.My life became fruitful (Saphalam ).  I recognized that
there is nothing loftier than Kaimkaryam to You for gaining all
PurushArTams. Grand indeed is the power of Your anugraham ! ".

3) Oh PaadhukE ! For a long time, I stayed in a state of total
ignorance about my svaroopam  and had SareerAthma Bramam as well as
Svatantrathma Bramam and was lost(aham chiram dEha indhriya aadhi:
svaroopam ithi mathvA ajanishi . Hantha ! ). Later due to the
JaayamAna KatAksham of Your Lord , I was blessed with SadAchArya
Sambhandham and VedAntha Jn~Anam form the AchAryan ; I understood
that the Lord is the karthA of KarmAs and is the Jn~Ana Svaroopi ,
who is the Master/ Sarva Swamy (Tadhanu tadhikassan Isvara:
BhabhUva).  I developed clear Jn~Anam about my svaroopam as Daasa
BhUthan for the ParamAthma ( DaasabhUthA: svathassarvE hyAthmana:
ParamAthmana:). I became the property of the Lord (Bhagavatha yEva
abhUvam). From there ( Bhagavath sEshathvam ), I reached the
boundary of that state and have arrived now at BhAgavatha
sEshathvam, which transformed me to become your intimate sEsha
bhUthan (idhAnim  puna: arTAth Tava aasam . I am truly blessed (
aham dhanya Janmaa aasam )....(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM