You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00219 Aug 2004

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

1002. mAtha:! svarUpamiva rangapathErniviShtam
      vAchAmasImani padhAvani! vaIBhavam thE
      mOhAdhaBhiShtuthavathO mama mandhabuDdhE-
      rbAlasya sAhasamidham dhayayA sahEThA:

Oh Mother Paaduka! The Lord's nature is incomprehensible and far
beyond our measurement as the greatness of Yourself. Nevertheless, I
dared to embark on this venturesome job difficult for an immature
debutant. May You forgive me for my ignorance and entry into a
dangerous territory!

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkam 1002

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam: Oh Mother ! Your glories like
RanganAthA's attributes are beyond description . Through my ignorance
as a young person and dull wit, I attempted to sing your glories and
lengthened this eulogy. It was a bold and eugotistic act. Please
forgive me for this through Your compassion.

2) SrImath Andavan's anubhavam: After declaring that he had composed
the sahasram on the exalted Paadhukais and how grateful he was, Swamy
Desikan was overcome with the fear that he might have overstated his
case as a successful poet. He asks for his rash statement and
requests Paadhukais to forgive his daring statement. He says: " Oh
PaadhukE Your infinite attributes (Svaroopa, Roopa, GuNa, VibhUthis)
like that of Your Lord  are  beyond one's power to describe
satisfactorily. Just like children engaging in a daring act without
assessing their capabilities, I have also dared to compose thousand
verses about Your Vaibhavam and have declared that
I have completed them successfully. This is a Saahasa Kaaryam. It is
an apachAram to conclude that I ahve captured YOur limitless glories
in the short span of thousand verses. Please forgive adiyEn's
MahApachAram out of Your sense of Vaathsalyam for Your child and
treat my apachAram as a guNam and bless me!

3) Oh Mother PaadhukE ! LIke YOur Lord , Your attributes are beyond
the ken of us (RangapathE : Svaroopamiva tava svaroopam Tava, Roopam,
GuNam vaachAm aseemani nivishtam). They  are beyond the reach of
speech. I am like a dull witted one and an ignorant child ( Mandha
Buddhi:, Baalan), which enagages in a daring act without thought
(Saahasa kaarya prayuktham). I dared to engage in an effort to
confine Your  limitless vaibhavam into a mere thousand slOkams (tE
vaibhavam mOhAth abhishtuthavatha: ). Oh Mother PaadhukE ! YOu must
forgive this daring act of follishness out of Your DayA for me (
Baalasya mama saahasam idham dayayA sahETA :)....(V.S).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM