You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00012 Aug 2005

ThirukkuRaL in EDu

The thiru-voi-mozhi pAsuram 1-4-4 describes the thalaivi's change of physique due to separation from the Lord Almighty. The otherwise normal body gets bleached as if there is no blood circulation in that particular spot. Normally, when there is such a separation, the Lord can not see as He is away. ON the contrary, if He can so see, then He is not separated from AzhwAr.

However, the fourth pAsuram takes a different tone:
'en nErmai kaNDirangi idhu thagAdhu ennAdhA..' 1-4-4;

Having seen the bleach due to the separation.

A tamilian -oru thamizhan who was in the ghOsthi of bhaTTar who was explaining this pAsuram- questioned the validity of this on the grounds that if the Lord can see this He is not away. Therefore, the words should be "kEATTu irangi'

Sri bhaTTAr elucidated this aspect. The explanation was

" When the thalaivan's one hand is scratching on a particular side of the thalaivi, the other side gets whitened and vice-versa.
Therefore, this can be indeed seen and not necessarily be heard only.

Does this have a precedent? Yes said bhaTTAr and quoted one from kuRunthogai and thiurkkuRaL

The thirukkuRaL :

'pullik kidandhEan pudai peyarndhEan avvaLavil
aLLik koLvaRREA pasappu" 1187.

The thalaivi says " I was embracing my thalaivan and moved a bit and the whitenss-pasappu- took over me.

And that is thirukkuRaL for you from none other than bhaTTar himself.

dAsan
vanamamalai padmanabhan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Home Page