You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00061 Aug 2006

 Sri:

 Dear Prapannaas and Mumukshus:

In the last posting , we covered upto item 4.1 ( Para included below
for Continuity ) . Today we will begin defining the five angams
(Components) of Nyaasam.

4.1: Prapatthi yOgam has five angams   and one angi (kavacham) and
hence is known as Shadanga yOgam .The five angams are :

 (1)Aanukoolya  Sankalpam
 (2) Praathikoolya Varjanam
 (3) KaarpaNyam
 (4) Mahaa  Viswaasam
 (5) gOpthruva VaraNam .

Aathma nikshEpam/  SaraNAgathy/ThyAgam/Prapatthi/ Bhara NyAsam/
Bhara SamarpaNam is  is the Angi ( the whole/sheath)  for all these 5 angams
(Components) .

This then is the  Shadanga yOgam of Prapatthi serving as a never-failing
UpAyam  for Moksham  that can be practised by one and all in a trice with
the  merciful  help of  a  SadAchAryan.

 4.11: Aanukoolya Sankalpam is the taking of a solemn vow that we will
behave  fully in conformity with Bhagavath Saasthrams. This is based on
the Jn~Anam  that  the Lord is the Master (Seshi) and the Jeevan is the
Sesha-bhUthan . The  Lord is  not only the Master for the Jeevan  but also
for the entire assembly of  sentients and  insentients ( Sarva
bhuthangaLukkum
SEshi--Sarva Seshi). This is because of  all  the sentients (charAni) and
the insentients (acharAni) are the body of the  Lord.  " CharAcharANi
bhUthAni sarvANi Bhagavath vapu:" Therefore one has to  have two
Aanukoolya Sankalpams :(a) Being anukoolan to Seshi , the Lord and
 (b) being anukoolan to all entities ( sarva bhoothams) , which constitute
 the body of  the Seshi .If the Jeevan is not an anukoolan to Bhagavath
Saasthrams or  causes harm  to the other chEtanAchEtanams forming
the body of the Lord , then the  jeevan  will committ both Isvara dhrOham
and Bhootha DhrOham .Iswaran will get  angry  over such violations
and the Prapatthi will not be fulfilled . That is why  the two  Aanukoolya
Sankalpams together  become one of the angis (Components) of
Prapatthi.  For all Vaidhika karmaas ,  a formal Sankalpam is essential.

 4.12 : Praathikoolya Varjanam: This is a Vow to abjure or stay away from
all  that  is nishEdham ( prohibited ) by Bhagavath Saasthrams.Varjanam
means banishing  or avoidance. The sankalpams of Praathikoolya varjanam
(avoidance of acts  prohibited by  the VedAs and Saasthrams) are also of
two kinds : Bhagavath anabhimatha  varjanam  and sarva bhUtha anabhimatha
varjanam . Abimatham means desirable or  pleasing ;  anabhimatham
means undesirable or displeasing .The Jeevan vows to avoid  transgression
of  the various acts declared as  Prathikoolam . Seshathva JnAnam
( Lord is  the Master and Jeevan is the serf and servant ) is behind
this angam of Prapatthi again .

 4.13: KaarpaNyam : a feeling of helplessnes , destituteness. A feeling
state  of  Aakinchanyam and ananyagathithvam ( helplessness and
without any resource or recourse  to protect oneself). The thought that
one is destitute and has no protector  other than  the Lord chases away
the pride (garvam) that stood in the way of performing  Prapatthi.
The jeevan in this state is described as a KrupaNan . The jeevan
will  pray most sincerely for the grace (krupai) of the Lord , will have
anjali- bhaddha  hastham ( palms together in a mood of prayer)
and will openly seek the  Lord's  help as an asakthan ( powerless one).
The idea that he ( the jeevan) is a  Svatantran  ( independent one fully
in charge of his destiny) would be gone . He comes  to  the determination
that the Lord alone is his upAyam for Moksham and  devevelops
Paratantra Jn~Anam . Garva haani ( the obstacle of egotism) is now gone
with the conviction that he is akinchanan and ananyagathithvan ( no path
for  protection except the Lord as Rakshakan ) . Naanya: PanTaa ithi
nischithavaan .

 4.14: Mahaa ViswAsam: an unassailable faith that the Lord will come to our
 rescue and protect us , when we perform SaraNAgathy at His sacred feet .
 This is the most important constituent in the anushtAnam of Prapatthi .
 There are five kinds of doubts about  the Lord as the unfailing Rakshakan
 ( protector) arise in the Jeevan's mind, which will eat away the ViswAsam
 in the Lord as UpAyam for Moksham . These are called Pancha sankhas
 ( Five doubts) . These Pancha Sankhaas become enemies ( VirOdhis) to
 Prapatthi . One should reflect on the inherent (SvabhAvika) dayaa svaroopam
 of the Lord and the power of His Consort to intercede on our behalf to
 overcome these doubts that plague us to develop Mahaa ViswAsam .

 4.141: Pancha Sankhaas:The five doubts that assail the mind of
the Jeevan are:

 (1) Our Lord is Omniscient (Sarvaj~nan) and Omnipotent (Sarva Sakthan) . We
 are mighty sinners. Will the Lord of this power and Jn~Anam be accessible
to  us ?  Worries are about His Soulabhyam and Souseelyam to bless
a Mahaa AparAdhi .

 (2) Lord gives Phalans according to one's karmaas. We have the Moksha
 VirOdhi of  huger bundles of sins accumulated from time immemorial .
Will he overlook  all these  and stil bless us with the grandest of Phalans
(Moksham) ?

 (3) Will He grant this Phalan (Mahaa PrasAdham) at the desired time ?

 (4) He has no equal or Superior . We are the lowliest ones weighted  down
by our sins . Will He condescend  to grant  us the grand gift of Moksham?

 (5) He is the one that does not seek others help to do some thing and is a
 Sathya  Sankalpan and YathOkthakaari . Will He give a MahOpakAram
in return for the "simple"  act  of Prapatthi done once and also done
in a trice ( a small measure of time) ?

 4.15: gOpthruva VaraNam: Choosing the Lord to protect us by means of
 a verbal request . This is a prayer begging the Lord to be our Rakshakan.
Propelled by the conviction that is both merciful and powerful to grant
Moksham , the clear-minded Jeevan free of all doubts prays to Him alone .
The Lord expects such a prayer even if He is Sarvaj~nan , Sarva Sakthan
and Parama  KaaruNeekan :

Sarvajn~Oapi hi ViswEsa: Sadhaa KaaruNikOapi sann
SamsAra tantravAhithvAth RAKSHAAPEKSHAAM pratheekshatE
--- Lakshmi Tantram: 17.80

4.16: Aathma NikshEpam as the Angi : This is the placing of the
responsibiliites for one's protection totally  at the sacred feet of
the Lord (Aathma NikshEpam). We place the burden of our protection
(bharam) at His lotus feet with clear awareness of our Paaratantryam
( Opposite of Svatantram) and Seshathva Jn~Anam ( Jeevan is the serf
and unconditional servantof the Lord).This is Bhara SamarpaNam
or Bhara nyAsam . Seeking His powerful feet as refuge is described as
SaraNAgathy .

With the 5 angams and one angi , Prapatthi becomes a Shadanga yOgam
for Moksha Siddhi .

Srimath Azhagiya Singar ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil V.Sadagopan

Yahoo! Groups Links