You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00161 Dec 2008

Dec 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

During this divine and most auspicious maargazhi month, adiyEn wished to share
with you Thiruppavai verses everyday... I remembered the brilliant and simple,
short bhAshaNam that asmadhAcharya His Holiness Srimath Poundarikapuram Andavan
Swami had blessed us with on ThiruppAvai.  adiyEn wished to share the same with
everyone of you in this month. I requested Sri CG Balaji Swami (for the English
translation of these divine blessing by Acharyan and of Andal) to grant
permission to share his kainkarya with all of us. He has kindly consented for
the same. Thanks to him. With Acharyanâs and Godhaâs blessings, let us
begin to enjoy.

Srimath Poundarikapuram Andavan Ashramam at Srirangam
is known for its austerity and is extolled as a place where Kali has
not yet set in. Glorified by an illustrious Achaarya paramparai, the
high seat is at present being held by H.H Paramahamsetyadi
Paravakkottai Srimath Poundarikapuram Srimath Andavan Sri
Gopala Deshika Maha Deshikan. Prakrutham Swamy is veritably
held as Abhinava Vasishta, having known for his strictest
conformance to anushtaanam. His precincts of knowledge are
boundless and he beams resplendently as the central gem amongst
all the Achaarya sarvabhoumars of present day. He has been
tirelessly working towards the betterment of Sri-sampradaayam for
nearly twenty seven years now, after he took to the Achaarya Peetam.

Swamy is verily the incarnation of Gitaacharya or Kannan, the
Yadava cowherd, who gave us one of the Prasthaana-traya namely
the Bhagavad Gita. He has come back again in this Kali Yuga as
Srimath Gopala Deshika Maha Deshikan Swamy to uplift mankind
from the samsaaric mire and to complete his imparts that were not
possible during the Dwaapara Yuga. Kannan always adorned a
musical flute in His hand. This flute that could not bear His
separation, has manifested itself as âtridandamâ or staff and now
decorates the hand of asmad achaaryar Srimath Gopala Deshika
Maha Deshikan. We, his disciples, are all Gopis indeed, awaiting
his benediction

Thiruppavai of Andal needs no introduction. Though they are
only thirty in number, they are acclaimed to be the seed to the
entire imperial collect of the Vedas. A minute seed that sprouts into
a huge tree, gives refuge to the likes of kings and emperors.
Similarly, Thiruppavai enshrines in itself the finest truths of
Vedantha. Thiruppavai has been embellished with many authentic
commentaries by the Poorvacharyas. Out of Swamyâs infinite
mercy, His Holiness had assented to give a series of concise and
succinct lectures on the topic of the most delectable Thiruppavai of
Andal. These lectures were broadcast on Radio Trichy. The same
was later brought out in a printed edition from the illustrious
house of âSri Kanchi Perarulalanâ. This tamizh treatise was released
during the occasion of Swamyâs shathabhishekam during Vikrama-
Panguni-Rohini, year 2001

The original tamizh treatise has now been translated to English for the benefit
of a wider audience.
This tribute of words is placed at the divine feet of Sri Andal
Rangamannar, during the auspicious month of margazhi. This
translation is presented to Asmadacharyar as a mark of respect for
Swamyâs infinite mercy and upakaaram.

The author is none other than our Sri CG Balaji Swamin (dhouhithran of our
revered Dr Sri U VE NS Anantharangachar Swami, Bangalore. Balajiâs acharya
bhakthi is seen to be believed. I thank him for granting permission to share
this during the maargazhi month. adiyEn intends to post verse a day for
everyoneâs enjoyment.

Sri Balaji Swami is the thiruvadi of the 35th
pattam Parakala matam Jeeyar, H.H Srimath Abhinava Ramanuja
Brahmatantra Swatantra parakala Yatindra Maha Deshikan. He is also the
recipient of Swamyâs abundant grace and anugrahams and has obtained
initiation into Shrimath Rahasyatrayasaaram of Swamy Deshika at the lotus feet
of Shrimath Paravakkottai Andavan.

Sri Balaji says that it is only the parama kataaksham and anugraham of Swamy on
him that has made him attempt to celebrate the glories of the Lord as told by
Andal and as celebrated by asmad Swamy.

Sri Balaji adds with utter humility:

Swamiâs anugraham is so powerful that it can even make an unworthy being like
this author attempt to write on the greatness of this divine work. The author
has composed this work within the limits of his intellectual prowess and
qualifications. The original tamizh monograph of asmad Swamy is blemishless and
is one of the most profound commentaries that are available on Thiruppavai. The
original tamizh treatise is an outstanding example of asmad Swamyâs profound
knowledge. Its lilting style and power of expression makes it endearing to the
peruser. The author takes responsibility for all the mistakes present in this
translation work and at the same time requests the merciful indulgence of asmad
Swamy and
Bhaagavathas in forgiving the same. With these words adiyen
humbly presents this work at the feet of his master, Srimath
Gopala Deshika Maha Deshikan.

Andal, like Sita Piratti was born at Rangamannarâs
nandavanam, just like the ethereal fragrance of the tulasi growing
nearby. After she attained a marriageable age, when Periyazhwar
was searching for a groom, Andal said, âIf you get me married to
mere mortals, I shall not wish to live, I shall not allow you to do so,
I shall get wed to Paraman aloneâ. Whenever Azhwar used to sing
the glories of the Perumals of the hundred and eight divya
deshams, and whenever he mentioned about Aranga, His divine
form and the beauty of His thirumeni, she used to feel mesmerized
and shed tears of joy and at the same time feel thrilled. She, like
the gopikas of Nandagokulam, decided to get married to Kannan
alone and adorned herself with similar attire like that of gopis and
would talk hours together like them and observed the âPaavaiâ
nombu or festival. These actions were sung by her as Thiruppavai.

This is also referred to as Godai Tamizh that is  âoru peNNin thamizhâ (a
girlâs tamizh). The Tamizh sung by those born as a female. Other
divyaprabandhams are tamizh, which have been basically sung by
Azhwars who were male with naayaka-naayaki bhavam or bridal
mysticism.

Thiruppavai can give one a divine experience of unity with
Bhagavan.  It is based on those pasurams which were accepted by
the changa palakai at Madhurai, that is Thiruvaimozhi. Kodai says
âsangatthamizh maalai muppadhum thappAmEâ, one who sings this
garland of psalms or pasurams in chengattamizh, shall definitely
get the divine blessings of Thirumal.

There are certain periods for Vedam, when it should not be recited, but for a
few days, Thiruppavai can be recited at all other times. The shastras taught to
us by our parents are two in number. The first one being Geethai taught by our
father Kannan. The other one being taught to us is by our mother, which is
Thiruppavai. Its glory is said thus âVedam anaitthukkum vitthuâ, that is
Vedam is the basis for everything. And Thirppavai is the seed of all Vedas.

And so it is said that one who does not know these (5 x 5 + 5 = 30)
thirty pasurams of Thiruppavai is a burden to the earth. There are
six main topics in Thiruppavai â
1. Paavai nombu â The observance of paavai festival
2. Going together for observing the paavai nombu
3. Awakening Kannan
4. Singing the glories of Kannan
5. Preaching
6. Sharanagathi or Self surrender

Andal talks about the above in the same order mentioned.
Andal becomes an acharya to Bhagavan for having taught him
of his own duties. The shastras proclaim that a pupil can eat the
left overs of his acharya. It is for the same reason as to why
Rangamannar wishes to adorn the flower garland of Andal after her
having worn it. This is conveyed by her name âsoodi koduttha nAcchiyArâ.
Just like Gopis, Andal takes all her friends and others to
observe the festival of paavai and having preached them the
ultimate truths, helps everyone to perform sharanagathi at the
lotus feet of the Lord to attain the eternal bliss of moksham.

Let us enjoy thaniyans and first verse in next post
Andal ThiruvaDigaLE  SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan