You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00162 Dec 2008

Dec 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

An Analysis on Periya Nambi episode

We have been observing a few mistaken indentities and a few incidents, in this regard.

Sri Periya Nambi falling at the feet of Sri RamAnuja has been quoted at least at  three places.

One is TirunedunthAnTakam 14th verse for the line 'madak kiLiyai kai kUppi vaNanginALEA"

Second is in vArthA mAlai and third is in ARAyirappadi vyAkyAnam for the first pasuram of TiruppAvai.

 TirunedunthANTakam pAsuram vyAkyAnam  does not give any reason for this act of Sri Periya Nambi,

When we discussed mistaken identity 2- we had observed this from TiruppAvai aidihyam for pAsuram 1.
TiruppAvai had indeed given a reson as 'ALa vandhAr enRirundhEan'. This is not further elaborated here.

Therefore, we can conclude from here that on seeing RAmAnujna he had been reminded of ALavandhAr GOshti and  was so mesmerised, had fallen at the feet. ( If we take this line of thought it is a clear case of mistaken idenitity)

Sri Senthil and Sri Sarathy ThOtadhir also present us a different line of thought.

Sri senthil svAmi quotes from VArthAmAlai where in vArthai 186 it is mentioned that the reason he is prostrating at Udayavar becauise after ALavandhAr EmperumAnAr is the capable AchAryan. If we take this line of thought, it is not a case of mistaken identity.

Sri Sarathy THotAdri svAmi mentions that as per vArthA mAlai \
An AchAryan should consider a good sishyan like his AchAryan. -vArthAmAlai 155.
(Though the periya nambi episode is not mentioned here , we can draw parallel from that one)

Whatever, be it, whether Periya Nambi had knowingly or unknowingly had fallen at the feet, it points clearly to the fact
of his utmost devotion to his AchAryan and his deeds and thoughts were veering around svAmi ALavnadhAr which has made him indulge in such acts, whcih is a rarest of rare episode.

I thnak both Sri Senthil svAmin and Sri Sarathy ThOthadri svamin for taking keen interest and throwing light on the subject.

Let us now  further go into other episodes

(to be continued)

dasan
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan