You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00237 Dec 2008

Dec 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

namaskaram.

It is overwhelming to read all the postings and emails on Sri Krishnamachari.

It was my misfortune that took him away from us all.  But, he is going to a
better place with eternal bliss; no more heart problems, no more neuropathies,
no more trigeminal neuralgias, no more attack of parkinsonâs, no more
blapherospasms in the eyes, no more worry about medicine for the one affecting
the other. How much can a body take?

On Thursday, December 9 (kaisika ekadasi day), Sri Krishnamachari was returning
from work in a bus to catch the train to come home; he had forgotten to take
his cell phone with him that day; he would have normally called from work
before he left; but, he didnât.  In the bus, he is said to have had an
erythma attack and fallen down; there is no account of how long he was down;
some nurses who were traveling in the bus found him and tried to revive him and
called the ambulance; by the time he was admitted in the emergency, it was 20
minutes and he had 2 more erythma attacks. For another 40 minutes or so, they
could not get his pulse. When our daughter held his hand and told him that she
was there and amma is coming, his pulse came back, which surprised all the
doctors there. I arrived at the spot much later. Our son arrived from LA the
next morning. Our close family members arrived also.

Prognosis was â his brain and organs had no oxygen for more than an hour and
got damaged. He had seizures that night; even after 48 hours, he did not wake
up and reflexes were not back.  Four different medications were pumping his
heart, ventilator was breathing for him. Kidney failed. Everything else started
going downhill. I was asked make the toughest decision in life â when to pull
the life support out (when I hesitated, the argument given to me by doctors was
â donât think you are killing him; he could have died in the bus).
Didnât want to lose him right way; so, I went with âdonât pull the life
support, but you do not have to give any new treatments like dialysis etc; let
nature take its courseâ.  His heart started beating on his own; so all
medicines were withdrawn. Another 2 days, another pressure â can we pull the
ventilator out?  Since kidney was getting worse and worse, I had to go with â
do not pull the tube from his
 mouth; just shut the ventilatorâ.  On Thursday, 12/17, around 3 pm, the
ventilator was slowed down gradually and when it was totally shut off, he
started breathing on his own; his pulse rate was sound.  We were told that the
duration will be unpredictable; so, we watched him like a hawk during that
night; around midnight, his BP started going down, and around 4:15 am (12/18),
he breathed his last, passed peacefully and attained our Acaryanâs tiruvaDi.

Was he waiting for his family to come and see him?  Was he waiting for all his
brothersâ kids and my sistersâ kids and all the Chicago friends to come and
see him?  Was he waiting for me to come to terms with life, become ready to let
him go? May be.  All I am proud of is, as much as I could, I pulled my strength
and chanted dvayam in his ears almost all the time, especially during his last
hours.  I want to believe that he was not dead in the bus; he died peacefully
with his family around and with dvayam ringing his ears.

Our family would like to thank one and all, grieving with us this moment; it
means a lot to us and is very consoling.

He had at least one wish that did not get fulfilled; he wanted to get his
Vishnu sahasranamam published as a regular book; my son and I will try to
collect all his materials from his laptop and see what we can do to accomplish
that.

I am ending with this â who is going to call me every second for misplaced
eyeglasses? Who is going to call me to tell me â you left the âhâ in
Satrughna, check this dictionary, that dictionary, go get the other references
and provide reference numbers for all slokams? Who am I going to argue with â
no, acaryan said only my way, not your way; why are you nitpicking on
everything I write?  Who is going to edit my acarya ramamrtam books with eyes
affected by blapherospasm?  Who am I going to say â get off the PC and go
take a bath? Who is going to tell me â donât run away to watch TV; you have
to give more when you write; you cannot just translate into English without
putting life into it?

We are going to do the 9th thru 13th ceremonies in Kumbakonam; this is what he
would have liked also - to reach the astral plane from his home town where his
2 brothers are.

Warm regards,
SrImad ANDavan tiruvaDi,
Kalyani Krishnamachari (very blessed to have a fine family and lots and lots of
friends)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: