You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Dec 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00385 Dec 2008

Dec 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear Sri LakshmaNan :

Different SampradhAyins prostrate before
the Lord once , twice or four times .

In Vadakalai SampradhAyam , it is done four
times .

One can use Yukti Vaadhams and point out the
four NamaskaraNams are for the four directions
or for the four hands of the Lord holding the disc ,
the conch , the abhaya Mudhra and the Lotus or
Gadhai. One can also view it as salutations to
the Four vyUhams etc. There is however more
doctrinal reasons based on AchAryA's teachings .
Let us look at them now :

Both Swamy AlavanthAr in His StOtra Ratna
slOkam and Swamy Desikan elsewhere has
given the reasons for the 4 NamaskArams as
Svaroopa Sodhanams .

When we are visiting a Temple of Sriman
NarayaNan , one prostrates ( ShAshtAnga
NamaskArams) before the Bali Peetam
and then enter the temple .

The First NamaskAram is to remind ourselves of
the Lord's Paratvam ( Superiority as ParadEvathai).

The second NamaskAram is to comfort ourselves
with His Soulabhya guNam ( ease of access inspite of
His Paratvam) of the Lord .

The Third namaskAram is to remind ourselves of
His Praapyatvam ( Being the ultimate goal , PradhAna
PurushArtham ) .

The Fourth NamaskAram is to remind ourselves of
His SaraNyatvam or His staying as the SarvalOka
SaraNyan and Sarva Rakshakan .

When one does the 4 NamaskArams this way ,
one's ego is pushed aside and one approaches
the Lord's sannidhi with the right attitude
and Jn~Anam .

We prostrate 4 times before AchAryan ,
Parents and elder Persons . One can
explain this with the Veda PramANam of
AchArya DevO Bhava et al .

The alternate four reaons for NamaskAram in
PerumAL Sannidhi based on Swamy
AlavanthAr's stOtra Ratna slOkam
and PeriyaVaacchAn PiLLai's
commentary is summed up in my
2005 posting in  Sriranga Sri archives
(Volume I) and Oppiliappan archives
( Part II ) :

http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/srirangasri/archives/apr05/msg00071.html

and

http://www.ibiblio.org/oppiliappan/archives/apr05/msg00015.html

The two folded palms in the AshtAnga NamaskAram
have their own significance , The right palm of the devotee
is said to represent the lotus feet of the Lord and the left
palm , the head of the devotee.

NamO Sri NrisimhAya ,
V.Sadagopan