You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00086 Feb 2005

Please excuse this ignorant writer for this silly query, but from whatever
little one has read and understood, the parama-purushartha    appears to be
"Dharma" i.e. the first and foremost one. All the other three follow Dharma
and are  within the confines of Dharma.  Yes, Bhakti is accepted as one of
the factors, but Bhakti per se may perhaps come under 'moksha' or to a
limited extent under 'artha' or 'kamam' because the common thread is :

artha - work/vocation/responsibilities etc.- should be devotional in nature
i.e. with Bhakti and Prappati

Kama - again, the Kama here is the superior, the higher form, the mature
form of artha itself i.e. Supreme Bhakti and love for the Tiruvadi itself -
something akin to SriAndal's or Mira's  intoxicating surrender

Moksha - The act of Bhakti by itself may be a form of Moksha because then
the person/entity ceases to exist and the existence is only in the form of
a self-forgotten mumukshu who has lost himself/herself and even lost
consciousness of the gender and totally immersed oneself into the Lord's
Sacred Feet.   Though seemingly living, breathing as a 'human' the person
here may be considered as a Nityasuri

Forgive any errors if any but these observations came about as one was
meditating on the subject.

Om tat sat
Tat tvam asi

Message for the month : LET GO !

                      "killuminati108"

                      <killuminati@one         To:
Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      tel.com>                 cc:

                                               Subject: [Oppiliappan] Re:
parama-purusArtha
                      02/16/05 07:09

                      AM

                      Please respond

                      to Oppiliappan

Respected Sadagopaji and all other bhAgavatas here, please accept my
respectful pranams,

--- In Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sadagopan <sgopan@xxxx> wrote:

> Mukti or Moksham includes permanent residence in
> the Lord's Supreme abode (Sri Vaikuntam ) and  serving Him there to
> the heart's content with blemish free kaimkaryam ( service)
> and enjoying that bliss on a par with the Lord .
What forms can this service take? I mean, how do the muktAs serve
ZrIman NArAyaNa there? Is ZrIman NArAyaNa the only Lord there?

What is meant by "enjoying bliss on a par with the Lord"?

> The Parama PurushArTam of Moksham is not outside the 4 listed
> as PurushArTams although a particular darsanam ( theistic
> philosophy ) callas Bhakthi as the fifth PurushArTam . Sri
VaishNavaas
> folowing VisishtAdhvaitha darsanam agree on four PurushArtams.

If mokza is not outside the four purusArthas, then why is it
described as 'parama' purusArtha? Does not 'parama' stand for
higher, viz., higher than the previous four?

Which darzana lists bhakti as fifth purusArtha?

If possible, could you please provide references along with English
translation?

Kind regards,

S. Dadlani

> > V.Sadagopan

Yahoo! Groups Links

 The information in this email is confidential, and intended solely for the
 addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any
 copying or further distribution beyond the original addressee is not
 intended, and may be unlawful.  The opinions expressed are those of the
 sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of HDFC Bank Ltd.

 The e_mail has been successfully scanned for presence of virus.  It is
 recommended to scan the attachment before launching.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM