You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00125 Jan 2007

Jan 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy the acharya paramparai.

LakshmI nAtha samArambhAm nATha yaamuna madhyamaam |
asmadhAcharya paryanthAm vandhE GuruparamparAm ||

I worship the entire guruparamparaa that starts with
Emperumaan, Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan; which has
SrI NAthamuni (in between) upto my AchArya (Sri
Ramanuja).

This thaniyan is composed by Sri KooratthAzhwAn (Sri
Ramanujacharya?s most ardent disciple); This Thaniyan
describes the paramapara of our Acharyas which starts
with Sriman Narayanan. Sri AzhwAn pays his obeisance
to the paramapara upto his Acharya. He does not
mention the name of his Acharya (calling upto my
Acharya - asmadhAchArya paryanthAm .. It fits in so
well for every one of us when we recite this upto my
Acharyan, I pay my obeisance to the Gurupamarapara.

KooratthAzhwAn is known for his intellect and
scholarship.

Thus the Guru paramparai upto Sri Ramanuja is:

Sriman Narayanan
Sri Mahalakshmi
Sri Vishvaksenar
Sri NammAzhwAr
Sri NAthamuni
Sri UyyakkoNdaar (Sri PundareekAkshar)
Sri MaNakkaal nambhi (Sri Ramamisrar)
Sri Alavandhar (Sri Yamunacharya)
Sri Periya Nambhi (Sri MahapoorNar)
Sri RAMANUJACHARYA

yO nithya-machyutha-padaam-buja-yugma-rugma
vyaamOhadas dadhi-tha-raaNi thru-Naaya mEnE
asmath-gurOr bhagavathOsya dhayaika-sindhO:
raamaanujasya saraNau saraNam prapadhyE.

[After the entire parampara upto Sri Ramanuja,
KooratthAzhwAn composes a special slOka for Sri
Ramanujacharya alone.]

I take refuge at the feet of our guru Bhagavaan
Ramanuja, that ocean of mercy who, infatuated with the
gold-like, lotus feet of the Lord, considered all else
as mere blades of grass.

ParamAthmani yOrakthO virakthO(S)paramAthmani- Due to
His jnAna, Bhakthi, VairAgyam, Sri Ramanujacharya
considered only the lotus feet of the Lord Sriman
Narayanan as the means and the Goal- for that matter-
everything. Nothing else mattered to him. He is not
interested in others and considers others (material,
sensual pursuits) as thruNam (blade of grass).

asmadhguru paramagurUn yathivarapUrNau sayAmunam rAmam
padmAksha nAtha saTajith sEnEcha ramA ramApathIn
vandhE.

After Sriman Nathamuni, Sri Pundareekakshar [also
called as Uyyakkondaar], Sri Raamamisrar also called
as maNakkaal nambhi], Yamunamuni or Sri Alavandhaar,
comes Sri MahaapoorNar [Periya Nambhi] in our Acharya
parampara.

[from asmadhAcharyan Tamil commenetry on Yathiraaja
Sapthathi ? translted into English by Sri CG Balaji
Swamin:]

Bhagavad Ramanuja, was born in the year of Pingala,
month of chittirai, shukla panchami (Wednesday) Friday
in the constellation of Thiruvaadirai in 13-04-1017 at
Sriperumbudur in Harita kulam to Aasuri Keshava
Somayaaji and Kantimati (Bhumi piraattiyaar), sister
of Sri Periya Thirumalai Nambi. He
was named as Lakshmana or Ilaya Perumal by his
maternal uncle. Even before 16 years of age, he
attained a profound mastery in all the vedas and the
shastras. At the age of 17, he married a noble maid by
name Thanjamaambaal (Rakshakaambaal). After this he
moved to Kanchipuram wherein he studied the philosophy
of Advaitha Vedanta under one named Yadava prakasha.

Having seen Ramanuja?s keen intellect and the
sharpness in his grasping power, Yadava prakasha was
afraid that his matham might not live long in his
presence and so planned to kill Ramanuja on the
pretext of taking him on a pilgrimage to Kashi.

Having learnt the designs of the guru, through his
cousin and fellow classmate Govinda, Ramanuja
discontinued his trip to Kashi and came back to
Kanchipuram with the help of the divine couple
(Perarulaala dampathigal).

Alavandar, who had come over to Kanchipuram, blessed
Ramanuja with his divine glances and made the
prophetic statement saying, ?Let him be the champion
of our sampradaayam? [aam mudhalvan ivan]. Through
Thirukkachchi Nambigal he obtained the six finer
truths of the sampradayam [as seen earlier]

He then got performed the sacraments of pancha
samskaaram from Periyanambigal at Madhurantakam and
then pursued the study of Vedantam at Perumal koil at
his (Periyanambigal) feet. Disassociating himself from
samsaric afflictions, he got initiated into the
ascetic order directly from Sri Varadaraja Perumal who
proclaimed him as Yatiraja!

Having moved to Srirangam along with disciples like
Kuratthazhwan and others, he was adored by Periya
perumal as num udaiyavar who also gave him the mantle
of the entire temple administration. The
administrative rules and guidelines set up by Udayavar
can be seen being followed in the temple even to this
day.

Having approached Thirukkottiyurnambi with firm
determination for almost 14 times, he became his
disciple finally and learnt the esoteric meanings of
the ashtakshara, dvaya and charama shlokam from him.
He then promulgated these truths from the ashtanga
vimanam of that temple to all bhaktas. After having
known the esoteric truths, he displayed his great
sense of compassion for mankind and wished for all the
subjects of the Lord to excel in their spiritual
pursuits.

?Through his merciful deeds even we have obtained the
upadesham, is he my master? emperumaanaarO?- exclaimed
Thirukkottiyurnambi. Praising his spirit of service to
mankind, he named Srivaishnava siddhantam as Ramanuja
darshanam. Since that day, he also came to be known as
Emperumaanaar.

He then toured the whole of north and obtained the
rare manuscripts of Bodhayana vritti at Kashmir. He
authored delectable works like Brahmasutra bhasyam,
Vedanta saram, Vedanta deepam, Vedartha sangraham and
other great works and fulfilled the dreams of
Alavandar. After having listened to the Brahma sutra
bhasyam of Ramanuja, Goddess Sarasvathi Devi out of
great delight named it as Sri Bhashyam and embellished
Udayavar with the sobriquet Sribhashyakaara and gifted
him with a murthy of Sri Lakshmi Hayagrivar.

He performed sharanagati at the divine feet of Periya
perumal and Periya piraatti on a panguni uttiram day
during the sErthi utsavam, by composing and reciting
gadya trayam and showed to the world the ultimate
means to salvation. He authored a work called Nityam
elucidating the ways in which Bhagavad aradhanam has
to be performed daily by all paramaikaantins. He made
his disciple Pillan write a commentary on
Thiruvaimozhi known as Aaraayirappadi and named him as
Thirukkurugaippiraan Pillan and his work as
Bhagavadvishayam.

He appointed 74 simhaasanaadhipathigal or crown
bearers of Srivaishnava sampradayam and ordained them
with the duties of propagating the philosophical
system of Vishishtaadvaitha. Emperumaanaar in this way
became the praapyam, the fruit of attainment and
?praapakam? the means of attainment of that fruit,
guru and kuladaivam of Sri Vaishnava lokam.

Sri Ramanujasya charaNou SaraNam PrapadyE
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan

<*> Your email settings: