You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00132 Jan 2007

Jan 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 21

Dear Sri vaishnava perunthagaiyeer,

In the previous 20 posts, we saw 'lakshmaNa' donning 10 roles. The 10 th role as a great warrior is continuing. Just for recollection

Now let us continue the role of the 'great warrior', in the reprimand of soorpanaka. See the chief commander [raama] introducing his deputy to soorpanaka and his wife – our raama anuja, and raama's wife seethaa –

bhraathaa ayam lakshmaNO naama yaveeyaan maam anuvratha: |

iyam bhaaryaa cha vaidhEhee mama seethaa ithi vi sruthaa || 3-17-16

meaning: raama to soorpanaka, "He is LakshmaNa by name, my younger brother, and a devoted follower of mine, and she is my wife, well-known as Seethaa, the daughter of VidhEha's king,.

Point: when soorpanakha asked, 'hey, who are you, looking like a sage, also one with a wife here' – raama talked about himself, first, then is not talking about the wife, but about the brother and then only about wife. Even while introducing to a third party, see raama's claim on lakshmaNa, first as a brother and then as a devoted follower. That love and affection between the brothers is spelt first by raama. That again indicates what extent is their intimacy.

Then soorpanaka introduces herself to raama, saying 'I am raavaNa's sister' etc, and ends up with saying 'I love you' like a modern day cinema, and says 'want to be your wife'. She further says 'when this lady is here, perhaps you may not like me' so --

imaam viroopaam asatheem karaalaam nirNatha udhareem |

anEna saha thE bhraathraa bhakshayishyaami maanusheem || 3-17-27

meaning: Shall I eat up this disfigured, dishonest, diabolical human female with a hallow stomach, along with him, that brother of yours, to make you free - soorpanaka asks raama.

For this raama replies, 'I already have a wife, why you want to become a cowife, only this lakshmaNa is not having a wife, so you become a wife to him'.   She, in good faith, approaches lakshmaNa, and see what he replies to s oorpanaka --

katham dhaasasya mE dhaasee bhaaryaa bhavithum ichChhasi |

sO~aham aaryENa paravaan bhraathraa kamala varNinee || 3-18-9

meaning: lakshmaNa to soorpanaka, 'How you wish to become a female servant, oh, [black] lotus-coloured one, by becoming the wife of a servant like me? I am just a vassal of my adorable brother'.

Point here is that lakshmaNa says 'he is paravaan – para adheenan – under the control of raama – cannot take a decision on his own - in the forest – 'I came as a servant, so I cannot act independendly', that consciousness is there in him. So he says, 'why do you want to become a wife of a servant like me?

Here the yajamaanan raama only says to the third party to approach lakshmaNa. Still lakshmaNa says I cannot take a decision on my own, and until raama permits. That servant role is simply shining in front of a third party – that too, when an 'offer of marriage' is being tossed upon by the girl [?] herself – just leave aside for a moment whether the proposal is suitable or not - 'poruththamaanadhaa illaiyaa' – look at that attitude of lakshmaNa – I am a servant, so you want to become a servant's wife? – that is more important.

Then lakshmaNa says to soorpanaka suggesting go back to raama --

Enaam viroopaam asatheem karaalaam nirNatha udhareem |

bhaaryaam vrudhDhaam parithyajya thvaam Eva Esha bhajishyathi || 3-18-11

meaning: On discarding her [seethaa] who is disfigured, dishonest, diabolically deleterious old wife, with a hallow stomach, that Raama will adore you alone.

point: See this slokam is more or less a repeat of what raama earlier said. LakshmaNa tolerates anything but lets no insects to fly over Seethaa. He may defy his brother Raama, but never tolerates belittlement of Seethaa, and lets none to insult her. Now he is retorting s oorpanaka in the same words, she used – seen in the previous sargam - last chapter - when she was speaking about Seetha. Then soorpanaka says, 'I will eat up this human lady', so saying she also makes advances --

adhya imaam bhakshayishyaami pa syatha: thava maanusheem |

thvayaa saha charishyaami niHsapathnaa yathaa sukham || 3-18-16

meaning: Now I wish to eat up this human female right before your very eyes, and, then I can blithely make merry along with you, without the botheration of a co-wife" said soorpanaka to Raama.

ithi ukthvaa mruga saavaaksheem alaatha sadhrusa eekshaNaa |

abhyadhaavath susamkrudhDhaa mahaa ulkaa rohiNeem iva || 3-18-17

meaning: Speaking that way she that torch-eyed soorpanaka dashed towards the deer-eyed Seethaa in high exasperation as a great meteor would dash towards Rohini, the brightest star in the sky.

Now raama commands his deputy – do the aggression like this – why – as already stated in viraadhan episode, raama would not tolerate somebody even touching seethaa – but now this raakshasi wants to eat her up. So, for the deputy the command has come and now it is he to act -

kroorai: anaaryai: soumithrE parihaasa: kathamchana |

na kaarya: pas ya vaidhEheem kathamchith soumya jeevatheem || 3-18-19

imaam viroopaam asatheem athimaththaam mahOdhareem |

raakshaseem purusha vyaaghra viroopayithum arhasi || 3-18-20

meaning: oh, gentle Soumithri, make note of VaidhEhi, she is somehow surviving. Punning in any way with the base and brutish is inapposite, [This soorpanaka] is freakish, knavish and overtly ruttish, oh, tigerly man, it will be apt of you to deface this paunchy demoness" Thus Raama said to LakshmaNa. [3-18-19, 20]

point: Already lakshmaNa is in a furious mood for this demon is trying to damage the safety of seethaa, that too in front of him – and raama is also punning and tossing her back and forth. So when the command also received then he immediately acted – that is that great warrior – see - he raised the sword – [viraadhan also was dealt with sword – the bow is taking a bit of rest].

ithi ukthO lakshmaNa: thasyaa: krudhdhO raamasya pa syatha: |

udhdhruthya khaDgam chichChEdha karNa naasam mahaabala: || 3-18-21

nikruththa karNa naasaa thu visvaram saa vinadhya cha |

yathaa aagatham pradhudhraava ghOraa surpaNakhaa vanam || 3-18-22

meaning: Thus said to that mighty LakshmaNa, he infuriately drew sword and chopped off her ears and nose before the very eyes of Raama. On hewing off her ears and nose, she, that ghastly Soorpanakha, blared highly and discordantly, and very speedily fled into forest as she came.

Now the small point here is – this is the small beginning of the Great War to come in future – that khara dhooshaNa vadham soon and later raavaNan. Whose contribution paved the way? It is the deputy's, viz. lakshmaNa's and not raama, the commander.

Then, she who is deformed reached her brother Khara, who possess violent vigour, who is bidding in Janasthaana and who is presently surrounded by his band of his hench-demons, and before him, that Shuurpanakha fell onto ground like a thunderbolt from the sky - Says slokam 3-18-25.

We will see more on lakshmaNa's contribution as a warrior in next post.

Dhasan

--
Vasudevan MG __._,_.___