You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00259 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

                    SrI:
SrImate raâ??ngarAmAnuja mahA deSikAya nama:
SrImate SrInivAsa rAmAnuja mahA deSikAya nama:
SrImate VedAnta rAmAnuja mahA deSikAya nama:
SrI raâ??nganAtha divya maNi pAdukAbhyAm nama:

AcArya rAmAmRtam  - (from SrI raâ??nganAtha pAdukA  dt. Nov 07  Part 1)

               English Translation of
SrImad rAmAyaNa upanyAsam in tamizh by SrImad tirukkuDandai ANDavan

        As published in SrI raâ??nganAtha pAdukA by
SrI u.ve. nATTEri KiDAmbi rAjagopAlAcAriyAr  (Editor of SrI raâ??nganAtha
pAdukA)

namaskaram.  This series was started in 2006 in the andavan and ramanujamission
yahoogroups and is now being extended to oppiliappan and RaamaBhakthi
yahoogroups.  Bhaktas interested in reading the previous postings can find them
in the andavan and ramanujamission yahoogroups.  Volume 1 of this series has
been published as a Book by SrImad ANDavan ASramam in Chennai. aDiyEn has 4
copies of English and 4 copies of tamizh books; anyone interested can contact
aDiyEn; books can be mailed only to US address; those in India can contact
SrImad ANDavan ASramam in Chennai.

(Please set your encoding to Unicode UTF-8 for reading these postings better).

SrImad ANDavan tiruvaDi,
kalyANi kRshNamAcAri
=====================================
                    SrImad tirukkuDandai ANDavanâ??s SrImad rAmAyaNa upanyAsam

They ate vegetables and roots available on the gaâ??nges banks and kept going
in the afternoon and reached the town of visAlA.  rAma and lakshmaNa asked,
â??svAmi!  What town is this?â??  â??Now that You are askingâ?¦  this is where
diti did penanceâ??.

â??diti devI!  Why did she do penance?â??  â??There was a mahaRshi named
durvAsar.  He went to vaikuNTham, actually to kshIrAbdhi.  It was a Friday.  It
was a Friday in the month of tai; he went and praised lakshmI with SrI sUktam.
He is not an ordinary mahaRshi.  He chanted the stotram.  Immediately,
mahAlakshmI gave Him a garland.  She was wearing on her head.  durvAsar came
back very happy carrying that garland.

â??bhUta nAyakan, puvimagaL nAyakan, malar magaL nAyakan, Ananda nAyakan â??
that great a bhagavAn; lakshmI is residing on His chest; how much tapas have I
done to get Her garland â?? yAn peRa ettavam Seydanan kol â?? I got this!â??
He was extremely pleased.

As he was returning, he came to devalokam.  indran was coming in a procession
on his elephant airAvatam. He was sitting in a golden mandpam set on top of the
elephant.  It is called svarNAsavAri.  It was navarAtri vijayadaSami day.  In
Mysore state, it is called jambU savArI, do you know!

indran was coming in a golden mandapam.  Thirty three crores of devas were
coming behind him along with musical instruments. In the front was indran.
durvAsar offered that garland to indran.  indran looked.

tanai ovvAdavan magizhcciyAl vAsavan tan kai
vanaiyum mAlayaiyum nITTalum tOTTiyAl vAâ??ngi
tunai valattu ayirAvadattu eruttiDait toDuttAn
panai Sei kaiyinAl paRittu  aDip paDutttadu appagaDu
                                           (kamban â?? agaligaip paTalam 3-10)
(indran gave it to his elephant, and it threw that garland down and trampled on
it)

tanai ovvAdavan â?? durvAsa mahaRshi was one with no equal.  Kambar will use
this phrase â??tanakku nigar illAdavanâ?? â?? one who has no equal  - in
several places.  We have to give the meaning for that.  nArAyaNan is the only
one who has no equal.  Kambar uses the term â??tanai ovvAdavanâ?? here for
durvAsar.  In one place, he wrote â?? â??tanai ovvAdavanâ?? for Aâ??njanEyar
â?? that he has no equal.  He writes that there is no other person who is on
the same level as him.  We have to say the meaning in an intelligent manner.
There is no one equal to durvAsar as far as his anger is concerned.  There is
no one equal to AnjanEyar in his devotion to rAman - Like that.  durvAsar got
very angry.

bhUtanAyakan puvimagaL nAyakan, poru il
vEda nAyakan mArbagattu inidu vIRRirukkum
AdinAyaki viruppuRu teriyal  koNDu aNainda
mAdarALvayin peRRanen muyanRa  mA tavattAl
                                   (kamban â?? agaligaip paTalam 3-13)

Somebody told me I should be quoting a lot of  Kambar songs. So, I am quoting.

â??How much penance have I done to receive this garland!  You insulted the
garland I brought from vaikuNTham. Whose garland is it?   This garland belongs
to lakshmI, the special lady, who is seated nicely on the chest of AdinAyakan,
vELvi nAyakan, vEda pratipAdyan; I was so happy to receive that thinking how
much blessed I am!  And you threw it?

InRu  nin perum Sevvi kaNDu uvagaiyin Inda
manRal am toDai igazhndanai ninadu mAnidhiyum
OnRu alAda pal vaLaâ??ngaLum, uvari pukku oLippa
kunRi, nI tuyaril kiDa ena uRaittanan koDiyOn

â??Looking at your aiSvaryam, I gave you the special garland of lakshmI,
thinking that you should get lakshmI kaTAksham â?? Her blessing.â??

Sometimes, when we give tAyArâ??s garland to some eminent people, they will
take it and tie it in the front of the car; there would be some symbol like a
lion, tiger or svastik in the front; he would tie the garland around that.
When the car is going fast, the garland would fall down and animals will
trample over that.  Next time he comes, he will not be the minister; that is
all.

durvAsar cursed indran saying that he will lose all his wealth and he will
suffer penniless. Will a person curse like this?  Will one commit a mistake
with durvAsar?  It may okay to commit apacAram towards other Rshi-s, but not
with durvAsar.  He cursed - â??onRu alAda pal vaLaâ??ngaLum uvarip pukkoLippa
kunRi, nI tuyaril kiDaâ??.  He gave the curse because he was â??koDiyOnâ??
(very anger-driven).

indran lost everything.  He became penniless.  He could not bear it.
Immediately, he did penance towards perumAL.  â??If you churn kshIrAbdhi ocean
using the mandara mountain, you will get amRtam â?? nectar.  When you churn,
the churning rope must be one with a lifeâ??.

If you buy a rope in the store, will it have life?  Where can one go for a rope
with life?  Finally, they approached vAsuki (snake).

Why a rope with life?  I learned by experience.  If the rope has life, even if
you keep using it and it keeps deteriorating, it will grow eventually.  If you
keep pulling a lifeless rope, it will deteriorate and get cut; only when it has
life, it will grow.

When I used to walk, my leg muscles would wear off.  Then, when I rest in some
place, the flesh will start growing.  That is when I realized He asked for a
rope with life.   This is a true experience.  That is why they got vAsuki for
the rope (the skin of the snake will keep growing and shedding!)

malai Amai mEl vaittu vAsukiyaic cuRRi
talai Amai tAn oru kai paRRi alaiyAmal
pIRak kaDainda perumAn tirunAmam
kURuvadE yAvarkkum kURRu (nAnmugan tiru. â?? 49)

They churned the ocean using mandara mountain.  amRtam came. What else came?
Poison and the moon came. He gave both to paramaSivan.  He gave the kaRpaga
tree, kAmadhenu, the apsaras women etc., to devendran. lakshmI came.  perumAL
married Her.  terivai mArvil aNindanan SrIdharan mUrti.  A big ratnam â?? stone
â?? came - Kaustubham â?? perumAL kept that also.  PerumAL kept all the special
ones.  They kept churning.  Nectar arrived.  The asura-s snatched it and ran
away.  deva-s didnâ??t know what to do.  perumAL asked them to relax.  He took
the form of a mohini and walked along the ocean beach.  Very intriguing form.
bhAgavatam, harivamSam and laksmI tantra samhitai describe this wonderful
incarnation.  It is described that He was wearing only white colored sari.  He
had exquisitely beautiful hair.  Bees were trying to smell His lotus like face.
 He is trying to push them with His finger nails of His left hand.  The upper
part of His sari is blowing in the wind.  He is wearing a six-yard sari.  asura
cetAmsi mathayan â?? the minds of the asuras were stupefied.  His sari floating
in the beach wind is being described in a wonderful manner.  virocanan, the
asuran,  came.

kAsi tvam kasya vAmoru!  â??Lady! Who are you?  Why are you walking on this
ocean beach?  Who are you?  â??kasya tvamasi?' â?? Who are your people?  Are
you married or not? I do not know!  You are wearing six-yard sari!  (AcAryar
and the audience laugh) Not sure if you are married or not!  Kasya vA tvam asi
â?? who do you belong to?â??  He said - asmAkam cetAmsi unmatnantI tvam ekA
carasi. â?? you are driving our minds mad by your beauty.  She said, â??I came
to see the beach in the evening time. Why are you asking?â??

â??We have this vessel containing amRtam. Distribute what is in it to us and to
themâ??.

â??Look, it is not good to give the job of arbitration to ladies.  They will be
very partial.  If they like somebody today, they may not like them tomorrow.
â??nUtnam nUtnam vicinvatAmâ?? (bhAgava. 8.9.10) â?? mohini says. I am not
saying.  She says, â??Women do not like the same thing for two days; they will
keep desiring new things.  I may like you today; tomorrow, I may like the
deva-sâ??.

Virocanan said, â??You can distribute any way you likeâ??.  Mohini said okay
and had the asura-s sit on one side.  She kept dancing bharata nATyam.  The
asura-s were dumb-founded.  She gave all the nectar to all the devatA-s and the
vessel was becoming empty.  At last one of the asura-s understood what was
happening, and came to the side of the deva-s and got the nectar.  It is said
he was rAhu- ketu.  Then, She clapped Her hands and said that distribution was
over.  asuras complained that they did not get any.

Mohini said, â??Why were you just watching?â??  A big battle ensued.  Every
person started fighting with the other.  nAradar came and said, â??Why are you
fighting now?  What is the use?  Now try to bring down that devendran
somehowâ??.  The asura-s gave up and left.  All the nectar was gone.  The
devatA-s got all the nectar.

tErazhundUr ANDavan was doing upanyAsam on this story one day.  One person was
working in tanjAvUr Engineerâ??s office.  He was doing kAlakshepam along with
me under tEraznundUr ANDavanâ??s tiruvaDi.  He was a very naughty person.  How
else would he be if he was doing kAlakshepam with me? (AcAryar is laughing
slightly).  He listened to this story.  He came closer to svAmi and said,
â??There is something very wrong with this story!   There were 66,000 asuras
who churned using vAsuki, and with great difficulty; will so many people be
fooled?  This story is very wrong!  You also say this story!  Will AcAryas say
like this?  And, this AcAryan is said to be so special.  The asuras who went
through so much labor â?? would they have been fooled like that?â??

SrImad tErazhundUr ANDavan said he also had the same doubt, and said he will
think about it for one day and let him know.  So, that friend left.  He came
back one early morning at 3 Oâ?? clock, ten or fifteen days later.  It was the
first day of the month at 3 a.m.  AcAryan asked him why he came at 3 a.m. since
the kAlakshepam was only at 8 a.m.

â??No!  I would have normally gone to taâ??njAvUr and then come back.
Yesterday, I had kept some money in my wallet â?? 150 rupees; I lost the money;
 so I did not have money for the train ticket, and came straight here.â??

â??How did you lose it?â??

â??I got my salary - first day of the month.  I went to see a drama; somebody
stole it thereâ??.

â??How many days had you workedâ???

â??One monthâ??.

â??Will anyone work hard for one month and then lose it all in a drama!â??

â??The dance was very interesting.  The one playing the king was dancing; I was
watching that and lost the moneyâ??.

â??Did you lose the whole of one monthâ??s salary of 150 rupeesâ???

â??Yesâ??.

â??You worked for one month!  You lost all thatâ???

â??Yes, the drama was that greatâ??.

â??If you lose 150 rupees in this dance, wouldnâ??t the nectar be lost if
perumAL dancesâ???  (laughter in the audience) said SrImad tErazhundUr ANDavan.
 The answer to that friendâ??s question was very obviously shown to him in his
own experience.

â??Yes, svAmi!  What I said was wrongâ??.

Then ANDavan got someone to give him money for the train charge, and then he
went to tanjAvur and came back.

His money got pick-pocketed just for this dance.  How do you think it will be
if perumAL Himself dances!
===========
To be continued â?¦..

Be a better friend, newshound, and