You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jan 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00260 Jan 2008

Jan 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

NOTE: Readers having difficulty in reading the text
may need to change their encoding to UTF-8.
----------
srI:
SrI  upakAra  sangraham ? 62
---
adikAram ? 1
poorva upakAra paramparai
(The Foremost Series of Favours)
---
SECTION ? 5 (19)
(27 Favours of the Lord leading to the means for
MOKSHAM)
-----

        After showing how the Lord helps us in NOT being
inattentive, while learning at the feet of a
sadAchArya, true to His name, ?HriSheekEshah? (the
Lord of the sense-organs), SwAmi Desikan now points
out yet another favour done by Him:

 (19)  Thirumanthiram muthalAn  ceeriya shabdangkaLaic
cevippaduththi, chinthAmal koLLumpadi paNNinathuvum;

        The perfect attention in the discourses is possible
only by controlling our sense-organs, particularly
j~nAnEndriyas (sense-organs of knowledge), and still
particular, the organs of sight and sound. During the
discourse, our eyes should be fixed on the AchArya?s
eye and our ears should be kept sharp-tuned to receive
the sound waves coming out of the AchArya?s lips.
Whenever some diversion takes place, we should
immediately utter the name as a mantra: ?Ohm
HriSheekEshAya namah? and then, He will take care of
us and ensure that our mind is nailed to the AchArya?s
words.
        Only when we are able to keep our mind and the
sense-organs steady, we will be fir to receive higher
knowledge which is indicated in this sub-section by
SwAmi Desikan.
        What is that higher knowledge is also referred to by
SwAmi Desikan:
?Thirumanthiram muthalAn  ceeriya shabdangkaLaic
cevippaduththi,?  --
        Making us hear the excellent verbal authorities,
?Thirumanthiram? etc.
        There are three rahasyas starting with the
?Thirumanthiram?. The other two are: ?Dvayam? and
?Caramaslokam?. These three mantras are uttered by the
AchArya into the ear of the disciple at the time of
formally enlisting him as a SrIvaiShnava.  These
mantras have to be retained fully in the heart by the
disciple, who should recite them repeatedly every day
after self-purification. This is what SwAmi Dsikan
says in these words:
?chinthAmal koLLumpadi paNNinathuvum;?  -- The Lord
helps the jIvas to retain these highest mantras
without spilling even a letter or phonetic.
        As these have to be learnt from the AchArya directly
face-to-face, they are not explained here
deliberately.
        Thus, SwAmi Desikan speaks about another favour done
by the Lord to the sAttvik jIvas to take another step
towards Him.

(To continue)
dAsan
Anbil S.SrInivAsan