You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00053 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest Srivaishnavas,

AzhwAr glorifies the Goal and the Way here and prays
to the Lord for blessing him with that

piRappinOdu pEridarch
  chuzhikkaN_ninRum neenkumaqthu,
iRappavaiththa NYaanan^eesa
  raikkaraikko dERRumaa,
peRaRkariya ninnapaatha
  patthiyaana paasanam,
peRaRkariya maayanE!
  enakkun^alka vENdumE.     (100)

Most wonderful Lord- Ascharya bhUthanE! The
incomprehensible One! The most sorrowful- samsaaric
affliction gets destroyed and along with it, even
further births get removed [for those bhakti yogins]
and they cross the ocean of samsaara and attain the
inaccessible (otherwise) the Lotus feet of Yours.
Please bless this adiyEn [me] with that unalloyed
devotion (bhakti) on Your lotus feet with which I can
attain that lotus feet.

It is not at all easy to attain You the Lord of all-
the Ruler of the maayai- mUla prakruthI. You manifest
in mUla prkrithI and are the ruler of the same. Even
the jnAnis- those who know what is bhakti yoga, also
realize that they cannot get rid of further births.
They do not attempt to get rid of those births;
instead, they seek your mercy for the mind to think of
You only even during future births. Thus, they become
jnAna neehcars (poor in jnAnam) as they may not get
such births and they may get trapped by the prakruthi
and thriguNAs. For such bhakti yogins, along with the
destruction of their sorrows, You also enable them to
cross the ocean with the unceasing devotion in them on
your lotus feet and You let them avoid further births
as well at times.

I have sought for removal of further births explicitly
now and prayed to You for the same; not just the
removal of sorrows and samsaaric affliction. Thus with
the contemplation of avathAra rahasyam of Yours, bless
me the means of bhakti. Our Sampradaya avers that if a
devotee (bhakti yogi) practices Bhakti yoga along with
the contemplation of avathAra rahasyam of the Lord,
then there will be no next birth for him and he would
be blessed with mOksham ? as granted by the Lord.

GitAchAryan says:

Janma karma ChamE dhivyam yEvam yO vEtthi tattvatha: |
thyakthvA dhEham punarjanma naithi maamEthi
sO(S)rjuna:||

Arjuna, he- who thus knows truly My Divine Births and
actions, does not get rebirths; and giving up the body
attains Me. A person, who thus knows the secrets of My
divine Births and My doings in this world is not born
again after this life and he attains Me at the end of
this life.

I need no more births- says AzhwAr. Whatever birth it
is; even if it?s a Grand One ? there can not be one
without any tinge of sorrow or sadness; any suffering
or pain. Please bless me the Sad upAyam [like bhakti
yoga] to me also (could also be another commentary). I
have also been so lowly without being aware of this ?
hence I am also ?neechar? says AzhwAr.

The Lord asks: only when you have Paramabhakti,
Azhweer! you can enjoy me. AzhwAr rtesponds: To get
that, please bless me with Para bhakti as the means
for attaining Paramabhakti. Thus, it can also mean
Para bhakti. Prapatti is, like Bhakti yoga, a means
for attainment of all desires. It stands in the place
of Para bhakti and a person who adopts Prapatti cal
also be blessed to attain Para bhakti and others. You,
who is able to grant the taste for mOksham, and the
means i.e. the Saadhana bhakti- should bless me
(ananya prayOjanan- who does only for Your pleasure
and who has no other fruits at all other than You as
object of enjoyment.

Kruthina: kamalaavaasa kaaruNyaikAnthinO bhajE?
AzhwArs ? all of them ? [considering the vaathsalyam
of Lord, considering the utmost limitless compassion
of the most merciful Sriya: Pathi Sriman Narayanan]
have only pefformed Sarangati and are prapannars ? as
per Sampradayam. Hence Sri UttmUr Swamy says: it has
been commented as above.

Also When AzhwAr pleads for bhakti, it may also mean
the saadharana bhakti-and not bhakti yoga as the
upAyam (means). Thus this verse mentions bhakti as
Prapatti only.

swathathrAnga prapattibhyAm prapannAvathra thAvubhou
|phalasADhana bhakthibhyAm bhakthAvapi Cha darShithou

saadhyabhathisthu sA hanthrI prArabDhAsyApi bhUyasi.

Thus to get rid of further births completely, Please
bless me with that bhakti i.e. Prapatti.

Thirumazhisai AzhwAr ThiruvaDgaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail