You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00097 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear Students of Hindu (SanAthana) Dharma :

Among the 40 SamskArAs (Rituals) prescribed
for a human , the last is antyEshti . Apara Kaaryam ,
Sraaddham , TarpaNam to please the ancestors ( Pithrus)
follow in the form of Pithru mEdham " to harmonize "
the individual living in this world with the larger world
including those of the departed .

SrI Veeravalli SrInivAsan Niranjan has been kind to send
me an excellent article on the evolution of the handling
of the Pithru medha ceremonies and therafter . This informative
article is by the Sanskrit  Religious Institute and  addresses
the multi-layered traditon and its evolution during Gruhya Soothra ,
PurANic and post-PurANic periods . The evolution of the concept of
pithrus over time and obligations of the living ones to their pithrus
are very well covered . Special points about yuga dharmams
and the observances as influenced by PaancharAthra texts
are included in this study .

I recommend it strongly for your browsing .

V.Sadagopan