You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00111 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

-----Original Message-----
From:   s.ramachandran@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:s.ramachandran@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Tue 7/13/2004 6:24 PM
To:     sgopan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc:     Ponnappan; tatachar@xxxxxxx; ashok_q@xxxxxxxxx
Subject:        Re: [Oppiliappan] Re: [SriRangaSri] Significance of 3 knots at
the time of Maangalyadhaarana

Respected members:

To the best of this writer's limited knowledge, there is no reference to
'maangalayadharana' (or the sister-in-law tying  one knot etc.) in the
Vedas / scriptures.  At best we may conclude this so-called 'ritualistic
practice' is of a more modern import say circa a few hundred years perhaps.
The intrepretations may be numerous, but there is no conclusive scriptural
confirmation.  What the texts have however, referred at various points is
that a valid marriage must mandatorily be solomonised with  agni   as the
witness which is still being followed.

Also, among the intrepretations given below, certainly it cannot be for
reminding the husband to perform the trikala Sandhya. This is a nitya karma
which sticks to the man the moment as a kid he dons the sacred thread and
hears the sacred  Gayathri. It then becomes a habit coursing through the
veins of the person so to say. The mandates of the Vedas cannot be
forgotton,nor do they require reminders. Especially, when he is about to
get married he should be very well grounded with the Sandhya requirements.

Om tat sat
tat tvam asi

                      Sadagopan

                      <sgopan@computer         To:      tatachar@xxxxxxx

                      .net>                    cc:      Ponnappan
<Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                               Subject: [Oppiliappan] Re:
[SriRangaSri] Significance of 3
                      07/13/04 05:24           knots at the time of
Maangalyadhaarana
                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to Oppiliappan

Dear SrIman Krishna Tatachar :
Thanks very much for this note .
I have taken the liberty of copying it to Oppiliappan