You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00140 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

inip pOi oruvan thankkup paNindhu

Dear SrevaishNavites:

crudely putting, if a housewifes goes begging or seeking refuge at somebody else's house, it is not only bad name to her but an insult and disgrace to her husband. This is more so after the marriage of a girl. This is what periAzhwAr states when he says :"inip pOi oruvan thankkup paNindhu"

'unakkup paNi seidhirukkum thavamudiayEAn, inip pOi oruvan thanakkup paNIndhu kadaith thalai niRkai nin sAyai azhivu kaNdAi... ' periAzhwAr thiru mozhi 5-3-3;

'I am blessed to serve YOu. If I go and stand at the doorsteps of somebody else, it is disgrace to You Oh! Lord" is the appeal by periyAzhwAr.

Here the commentary is wonderful.
Here the vyAkyAnam for "oruvan" runs as follows:
'brahmA mudhalaga... adhishUdhraRiREA' . When this applies to brahmA it applies equally if not worse,to others including saraswathi.

The vyAkyAnam for inip pOI is excellent:

"the past may not be much significant but after having realised the nature of the soul that we are subservient only to HIm and serve only unto Him, this stage of going to another doorsteps is big disgrace to Him"

Though periAzhwAr speaks this matter in a differnet context, the fact that a srevaishNavan should not approach anya DevathA is enunciated here.

Hence, as seen earlier and also according to this, it is better to avoid saraswathi or others equating to the Lord  - not out of disresepect but to act according to oru faith and philosophy.

(to be continued)
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here