You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00145 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

India Post: Don't destroy our history and heritage: Chinna Jeeyar
Swamy

http://www.indiapost.com/members/story.php?story_id=3265

Don't destroy our history and heritage: Chinna Jeeyar
Swamy
JAGDISH SETH

India Post News Service

FREMONT, CA: While huge sums are being spent to
preserve the human history and heritage in various
parts of the world, Andhra Pradesh government and
Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam (TTD) are destroying
the ancient history and heritage of Tirumala and thus
hurting the sentiments of millions of devotees the
world over, said Sri Sri Sri Tridandi Srimannarayana
Ramanuja Chinna Jeeyar Swamy in an exclusive interview
with India Post on July 8 here.

Sri Sri Sri concluded his 10-day tour of California on
July 9. Spiritual Day Camp was organized from July 2
to July 6 at Stanford University. He gave discourses
on Essence of Mundaka Upanishad and Bhagavad Gita
besides interactive multimedia presentations
Bearing dignified and shining red and white tilak on
his forehead,

youthful Swami, with a glow on his face, was critical
of the present Congress government of Andhra Pradesh,
which is bent upon violating the tenets of Silpasastra
under the garb of "Master Plan." The blasting of
nearly the thousand-pillar mandapam violated the
sanctity of the Venkatadri hill. The mandapam has
historical and religious significance. It was
constructed by Saluva Mallaya Deva, had a great
history and was not an ornamental structure. The TTD
was "interfering in the religious affairs and
sentiments of devotees" and that it lacked "inherent
jurisdiction" to deal with such issues. The act of the
authorities is worse than the Mughals, said Sri Sri
Sri. "We should protect the purity and sanctity of the
original tradition, in the restoring the marks of the
ancient glory of our ancient history," he said.

Talking of the purpose of his current visit to the US,
Sri Sri Sri said, "I have been to many places besides
the US. I have recently visited Australia, Dubai, and
Muscat and went on pilgrimage to Kailash-Manasarovar
in Tibet. The serenity of the lake is unparalleled. My
sole objective is to meet children of God who are
everywhere in the world. I have a twin message - man
and man should live together and man should live in
harmony with nature. The root cause of the current
problems facing the world is ego and intention to
dominate others," said Sri Sri Sri.

The youth who are born and brought up here in the US
are very inquisitive to know their roots. "They ask
right questions, we never thought of, " he said. He
cited the examples of some teenagers present in the
congregation who had a profound impact after attending
a weeklong camp.

Sri Sri Sri cleared many doubts about the tradition of
guru. "A right guru never puts a stop on the
inquisitiveness of his student. He rather encourages
and prompts the disciple to question and tries to
remove his apprehensions. A true guru shows the right
path. He is not God. We require a guru in our lives to
proceed and progress rapidly along the spiritual
path," he remarked.

He gave brief account of the social activities of
Jeeyar Educational Trust (JET) for uplifting the lives
in the tribal areas of Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand,
running a school for the blind, construction of 86
houses in earthquake affected villages in Gujarat, and
cyclone hit areas in Andhra Pradesh.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM