You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00178 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear ShrI Venkatesa Prasad:

I read the replies to your queries from ShrI Sadagopan Sir as well as ShrI
Ramachandran Sir.  My humble pranAmams to them.  Like they both say it is a
minor point in the larger scheme of things.  Everything in this world is
encompassed by our Lord and geo-positions do not matter to Him.

However, from a purely technical stand-point I have heard it said that the
Bhagavata Purana deals with the geography of the world in a great detail.
It divides the world into seven dweepas.  For. eg:  India is in Jambu
dweepa.  America in "Krauncha dweepa".  It is also said that "SarveshAm api
varshAnAm mErO: dakshina sthita:"  Therefore, all the continents would be
south of mEru.  According to this the use of mErO: dakshinE parshvE would be
correct.  As far as "khanda" is concerned I use "AmericAkya khandE" as
advised by one of the visiting swamijis(AdamAr Mutt).  Once again these are
technical and feel free to decide for yourself what you would prefer to use.

Thanks.

Vijayaraghavan Chakravarthy
Buffalo/NY

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM