You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00175 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear SrI Venkatesa Prasad :

To the limited knowledge of this writer, the Sandhya is part of the Vedic
mandate and hence part of the Santana Dharma per se, which put differently
implies "universal" approach. In short, Bharatavarsha is the
world/universe.
You may be in America or Madipakkam but at one point this entire Bhulokam
- including Australia, China and of course America - all were part of the
same Santana Dharma. In fact one should consider this world as
Bharatvarsham.

Moreover,during Sandhya you are primarily making the highest offering of
your Prana and waters to SrimanNaarayana inside the sun. The Sun is
referred as "mitra" in one of the shlokas. Mitra is a friend. The Sun
shines all over, be it America or a corner in Iraq.  As our learned friend
Shri Sadagopan has rightly put, the "Bhavanam" is critical.  Your genes are
part of a tradition which has originated and pervaded the Universe. One of
the key  purposes of the Sandhya sankalpam is for illumination to enable
you to see everything, everyone in the same light.

And more importantly, what has been ordained by the Shrutis cannot be
altered. Two things are to be noted:

a. Shrutis have laid down certain words/chantings - which again has been
given by our beloved SrimanNaarayana

b. Shruti also says that what you have taken in from your Guru initially
has to be followed implictily.

In fact Bharatavarsha is a beautiful word. Look how with great pains the
name has been concieved. Bha is knowledge, Rath is Love, therefore, Love of
knowledge.  The country or place where people hanker after this supreme
love for knowledge about the Lord, where spirituality reigns supreme and
where spiritual pursuits is one of the most important preoccupations, that
place was called " bharata varsha".

Moreover it is a Sanskrit word, so one does not need additional
justification for using it.  Without wanting to demean the word "America"
etc.  the word if used in sankalpam may not convey any meaning. You are
making a resolve. It should be devoid of meaningless words.  Just because a
majority of people call the place "America"  in English does not mean it is
the correct expression. In fact it should be then 'united states of
america".   Beijing is the Engish version of Peking (of which language  one
does not know) but if you ask a true Chinese he may say "peiping".  To each
his own. Who is to say what is right. However, Bharatavarsha IS RIGHT.
THERE ARE NO TWO WAYS.YOU GREAT GRANDFATHER SAID DURING SANKALPAM,YOUR
GRANDFATHER SAID THE SAME AND YOUR FATHER FOLLOWED SUIT.  You have the
benefit of 'aptavachakam' . With due respect to your query, if a man is in
Inner Mongolia, his sankalpam cannot change, or deep in the Artics.

Again as our learned friend Shri Sadagopan has said,the Lord knows it all.
In the Vamanaavatara one foot covered the entire earth, including America
so to say.

Trust your doubt stands clarified.  The writer has added something to the
best of his knowledge. Errors may be forgiven.

Om tat sat
tat tvam asi

                      Sadagopan

                      <sgopan@computer         To:
Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      .net>                    cc:      Sgt
<saranagathi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                               Subject: Re: [Oppiliappan] Doubt
in Sankalpam
                      07/17/04 05:49

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to Oppiliappan

Dear SrI Venkatesa Prasad :

There are a few , who modify the  Sankalpam
to say : America KandE , MerO: uthtarE Paarsve
etc. In all my travels around the world , I never
changed my sankalpam . I never felt that I have  left
BhAratha KaNDam or the shade of Meru's  southern
slope .

BhagavAn is Sarvaj~nan . He knows where His  children
are at anyone time in His vast Universe . He  appreciates
the thought that His children want to perform  Nithya-Naimitthika
KarmAs ordained in His SaasthrAs . That bhAvam is  more important to
Him than any inaccuracies in geo-positions  .

That is my humble opinion .

V.Sadagopan