You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00208 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

rI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesika namah:

Dearest Srivaishnavas,

naRRamaga kOl- Please bless and accept this
unintentional wrong doing or offences during the
kaimkaryam as good kaimkaryam also.- But this is not
upAyam. Doing and being good should be our nature and
our swaroopam- eternal servitude is our seShathvam.
Seeing that enjoying the service, He gets pleased and
due to His grace, He grants and that is His krupA
kaaryam. He [AzhwAr] had an apprehension if he and his
mind were impure while praising Him and
hence now he starts to address his mind. So far he was
addressing the Lord. Now to his mind. Thus having
performed Saranagathi at His Feet, there is no worry;
continue with your kaimkaryam- AzhwAr tells his mind.

vaaLkaLaaki naaLkaLsella
  nOymaikunRi mooppeythi,
maaLun^aaLa thaathalaalva
  Nankivaazhththen nenchamE,
aaLathaaku nanmaiyenRu
  nan_kuNarntha thanRiyum,
meeLvilaatha pOkamn^alka
  vENdummaala paathamE.     (112)

My mind! The days are running like the sword that cuts
the life time and the old age, diseases approach and
weaken and thin down the body; The death is going to
strike soonest and the day is here (see- it is there-
naaL adhu?] Hence, (since these days are running, You
? oh mind!) get the firm thought to perform kaimkaryam
of bowing down to Him, prostrating to Hi, praising Him
etc.. and live thus. Not just that. That would bless
us with [the Lord's granting us of] the eternal bhOga
saamyam ? ParipoorNa brahmAnubhava at His divine Lotus
Feet for all times with absolutely no interruption at
all.

Below- AzhwAr said: Please accept the praises as
correct, good ones even if there is any mistake and
bless. Now AzhwAr addresses the mind: Oh mind! Do not
think that whatever that we did ? so far in praising
Him- is enough and no more is required. No. We should
always continue
to do so for ever. It is greatest kaimkaryam that we
need to do. Never think that we need not do hereafter
such praising, prostrating, bowing down to Him anymore
till the end of our life- as He has already accepted
our prayers. That time- at the death bed, or near that
end, the body would be weak; the ability for thinking,
to do, to prostrate would diminish to reduce to even
nil. The youth, childhood has gone and been wasted
without any jnAnam; the youth would be there for ever
? never think. The days- without our knowledge- are
like the sword cutting our life one by one reducing it
to closer to zero. Even if all days put together ? if
we praise the days are not adequate to praise Him. Why
should we praise Him so elaborately?- This is a
kaimkaryam
that we need to do by our nature- by our eternal
sEshathvam to Him- eternal servitude at His Feet. Thus
we should perform the service with saathvIka thyAga
without any fruit expectation for us. It is for His
pleasure. If there is no fruit, why should there be a
mandate that we
need to do this.. ? if you ask, there is also fruit.
That is: living with Him for ever and ever at His
lotus feet, uninterruptedly, serving Him at
Paramapadham. His Feet grants us that due to our
kaimkaryam. We praise His Lotus Feet and that is our
Nature- He gets pleased and grants us to be at His
Feet for ever to continue to do that. That is the
fruit.

Thus praising Him, and the bhakti yoga, prapatti
performance is also an excuse to get His pleasure and
earn His pleasure, he gets pleased and that is what
and why he grants us the place at His Feet. The most
important upAyam is His Lotus Feet- paadhamE.

The most important thing to understand while
performing Saranagti or prapatti is that, "Prapatti"
(SAdhyaupAyam) as an act by itself is not the reason
for one's moksham. Rather, it is the mercy of Sriman
NArAyaNA (Siddha upAyam) which is responsible for
one's moksham. Prapatti is a SAdhya upAyA which needs
to be done by a baddha jIvAtmA. This becomes a vyAjA
for Sriman nArAyaNA, the Siddha upAyA, to grant
moksham. In front of Siddha upAyA, SAdhya upAyA is
"nothing" & can't even be compared. Nevertheless,
SAdhya upAyA needs to be performed since that?s the
way Sriman nArAyaNA has ordered (in Sruti & Smruti) to
have a vyAjA (excuse) for Him and thereby grant
moksham by being impartial. Similarly, Bhakti YogA is
also a SAdhyaupAyam. Of course, the performance of
sAdhyaupAyam is also due to Sriman NArAyaNA's mercy.
Since the mumukshu has proper karmA due to various
pious deeds and (most importantly) divine blessings of
bhAgavathA(s) and SadAchAryA(s), Sriman NArAyaNA out
of His mercy makes him/her perform the sAdhya upAyam
prapatti and grants moksham using it as a vyAjA [an
excuse] to seek His pleasure. So, if someone asks the
reason for ones moksham, without any hesitation, it is
the siddha upAyam Sriman nArAyanA. The Divya Dampati
is both the upAyA (means) & the upEyA (end). [this
para is from Sri Anand?s article]
Thus, praising Him, naama sangeerthnam etc.. is also
part of upAyam as the step towards the bhakti,
Prapatti maargam. Since AzhwAr declared that he is not
qualified for Bhakti yoga, this praising Him is a step
towards the Saranagati also can be interpreted.

OR If this praising Him is done after performance of
Saranagati, it is post prapatti conduct and thus being
a krithakrithya (having done what is to be done in the
form of Saranagati), A prapanna, has in one way
severed the relationship with the world with his
firmness on serving the Lord at all times. He is here
ordained to be for sometime, by the Lord, and whatever
acts he does, should be for Swayam prayojana
kaimkaryam or for the sole purpose of pleasing the
Lord, just like the loving service of the liberated at
Paramapadham. All his actions should be done for the
pleasure of the Lord and not for any gain, worldly or
otherworldly (at Paramapadham). Or  Praising Him for
His pleasure also cleanses the mistakes or aparadhams
performed after saranagati (even intentionally) as
Prayaschittham. Thus these praises can be buddhi
poorvapaapa prayachittham- enabling Paramapadha
praapthi quicker. Thus they may not mean upAyam.

Thirumazhisai Piraan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail