You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00258 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesika namah:

Dearest Srivaishnavas,

Thus in the way of telling the mind, AzhwAr mentions
that mOksham is imminent for him; Thus mOksham is in
the hands; There is no sorrow; worry. Thus he enjoys
telling himself in the next few verses.

maaRuseytha vaaLarakkan
  naaLulappa, anRilankai
neeRuseythu senRukonRu
  venRikoNda veeranaar,
vERuseythu thammuLennai
  vaiththidaamai yaal,naman
kooRuseythu koNdiRantha
  kuRRameNNa vallanE.      (116)

The most valorous Ramaa Piraan- the Mahaaveeran- the
most victorious One- who, in order to finish off the
life of cruel raakshasa rAvaNa [who was bent upon
doing all acts displeasing to Him], went to lankA
[where SitA was abducted and kept], destroyed all
asurAs, burnt lankA city to ashes; Such most merciful
Raama Piraan- would He let my paapams be counted by
Yama [when those paapams have already been
extinguished by Rama Himself due to his grace on His
Asrithar-me]; Will he (yama) be able to categorize and
see my sins? [No]

I have mind set to do all that is pleasing to the Lord
and have taken a pledge to do that [anukoolyasya
sankalpam]; Always he (Ravanan) wants do to only
prathikkolam to the Lord; He wills to do only what
displeases Him; He abducted PiraaTTi and angered Rama;
He had the false ego that he was inferior to none; He
worshipped devathanathram (demi god) and prayed and
obtained a sword (by name Chandra haasam) and hence
was more proud of the same and exhibited arrogance
that there is none equal to Him in all worlds. Rama
could not tolerate any further; But still, the most
merciful Lord was willing to forgive him for all his
sin, if he surrenders at His (Rama's) feet.

When Vibheeshana had performed his Saranagati,
Sugreeva and others objected to Rama and requsted him
not to believe his surrender and not to accept him as
it may endanger Rama himself. Rama mentioned that,
whoever surrenders to Him once, he will protect them
grant them abhayam and it is His vow. Rama also said,
"whether it is Sugreeva, Vibheesana or Ravana, it is
the same- whoever surrenders, He (Rama) will accept
the Saranagathi and protect them". vibheesanOvaa,
sugreevaa yathi vA rAvaNa swayam. What a compassion
and dayA! What merciful Lord is He! Sarvaanugraha
paran- Rama Piraan- will He ever leave me? Never. He
has burnt all my paapams as if they are thrown into
the fire and are burnt completely. Can Yama be able to
think of categorizing my sins, and decide which
paapams deserve which punishment etc? Not at all.
[Even punYa is included here and thus fruits arising
out of both puNya and paapams lead to the naraka
(hell) ultimately as time in heaven too will tick off
and puNyams get dissolved; one needs to come back to
the karmic diseases].

Reporduced here is the extract from Swamy Desikan?s
Raghuveera gadyam ? as applicable here on Rama?s
assurance to those who come to perform Saranagati at
His feet: [translated by Sri Sadagopan mama, New York]

ahita sahodara raksha: parigraha
visamvAdhi vividha sachiva visrambhaNa
samaya samrambha samujjrimbhitha
Sarveswara bhaava ! Jaya! Jaya !

Oh Lord! who revealed your svarupam as the Lord of all
Gods during the occasion when you countered the
different arguments of the ministers of Sugreevaa and
energetically motivated them to drop their objections
to accept  VibhishaNA as a SaraNAgatha at Your lotus
feet! Hail to Thee! Hail to Thee!

(Background): Sri RAmaa had learned about the place of
incarceration of Sita through HanumAn and thereafter
arrived at the Adhi Jagannatha Kshethram on the sea
side with the army of monkeys and bears to launch his
invasion f Lankhaa. At that time, the younger brother
of RaavaNA known by the name of (VibhishaNa) arrived
at that site to seek
the refuge of RAmaa after failing in his efforts to
persuade his brother  RaavaNaa to return Sitaa DEvi to
her husband and to seek latter's apology .

VibhishaNA cried out from his position in the sky and
described his plight to SugreevA this way: [as
recomemendation]

There is an ogre of evil conduct by the name of
RavaNA, who is the Lord of ogres. I am his younger
brother known by the name of VibhishaNA . My brother
kidnapped Sita from Jansthaanam, killed Jatayu and has
incarcerated the helpless Sita. I have vehemently
opposed his despicable deed and asked him to restore
Sita to Rama with apologies. My brother would not
listen to me and has discarded my good advice. I have
abandoned my sons and wife and have left his court and
flown over here to seek refuge at the feet of Rama.
Hence, Please let RaghurAmA,  who has the prowess to
protect any one in all the three worlds,  know quickly
 that I am here  seeking his refuge.
VibishaNA's exact words are:

tyakthvaa putraamsccha dhaaraamsccha Raaghavam saraNam
gatha :II
nivedhayatha maam kshipram raaghavaaya mahaathmanE I
sarvaloka saraNyaaya vibhishaNam upasthitham II

Hearing these words of appeal from VibhishaNa,
SugreevA was alarmed. He thought that the brother of
RavaNaa might kill all of them including Rama and
LakshmaNaa just as an owl would destroy crows. He
advised Rama to turn VibhishaNaa away on the basis of
his reasoning that VibhishaNaa was a Rakshasaa by
birth and a brother of an enemy to boot. The other
members of Sugreevaa's retinue with the exception of
Hanumaan doubted VibhishaNaa's sincerity in seeking
Raamaa's refuge . Some of them  felt that he intended
harm and therefore should be killed immediately. The
ministers of Sugreeva such as Sarabhaa, JaambhavAn,
Maindhaa suggested intensive interrogation of
VibhishaNaa before taking a decision to
accept his plea for protection. They were really not
in favour of
listening to VibhishaNaa's soulful cry for help.

Hanuman was the last of the ministers to speak.
Valmiki describes Hanuman at this point as the
foremost of counsellors and also as " Samskaara
Sampanna :(One who is learned from his study of
scriptures and Dharma Saastrams). Hanumaan pointed out
brilliantly the fallacies in the arguments of his
fellow counsellors and took the position that
Vibhishana should be accepted as a SaraNaagatha.
Hanumaan ended his analysis by stating that Rama is
the best judge to decide on the next step and act on
whatever that needed to be done.

Rama was very pleased with the counsel of Hanumaan
since he felt the same way about VibhishaNaa and his
plight. Rama was very much moved by the counsel of
monkeys, who had his welfare very much on their minds.
He thanked them and then  revealed his Parathvam-
Sarveswarathvam by stating that he can not refuse to
receive under ANY circumstances one , who has sought
his protection and approached him in a friendly
manner- even pretending friendship [though with an
evil bent of mind].

mitra bhaavEna sampraaptham na thyajEyam kathamchana I
DhOshO yadhyapi tasya syaath sathaamethadhagarhitham
II "

(Meaning ):I can not abandon  him , who has sought my
protection.
Even if there is any concealed wickedness on the part
of the one, who sought my refuge, he has to be
accepted and that acceptance will not be considered as
a reprehensible act by good people.

Swami Desikan salutes here  the prowess of Sri Rama as
the unfailing SaraNaagatha Rakshaka and his power as
the supreme Lord of all Gods to fulfil his pledge to
provide the protection to all, who sincerely wished
for his protection.

Rama says:
sakRdeva prapannAya??..abahayam sarva bhUtebhyo
dadAmyetad vratam mama   || (rAmAyaNa, yuddha. 18.34)
declared by Lord rAma during vibhIshaNa SaraNAgati on
the sea shore) -To him who even once bows to Me saying
that I am Thine, I grant him  shelter and protection
from all evils.   This is My vow.

Thirumazhisai PiraaN ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan

http://messenger.yahoo.com