You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00074 Jul 2007

Jul 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SRI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika Mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest All,

AzhwAr expresses in this 5th decad his ananyagatitvam
and (having none other as his refuge) Akinchanyam
(helplessness) which are closely tied to Saranagati.

Let us touch upon aanukoolyasya sankalpam.
A definite desire to do which is agreeable (anukoola)
to Sriman Narayana and not do which opposes to His
injunctions (saasthrAs); These two principles are most
important because Sriman Narayana is our Lord and we
should do what He likes (and has instructed) and avoid
what He prescribes to avoid- so that He will be
pleased. The saasthrAs and the commandments of the
Lord are not to be disobeyed. What has been spoken of
against must be rejected. One should escape from
dangers by doing so and pleasing the Lord. Thus, if we
don?t do the same, we would have to suffer the
consequences of paapa karmas.

In this context, let us enjoy other Sloka as mentioned
by ammAL in the second chapter. This Sloka elaborates
on the appropriate mental attitude of this
self-surrender:

aham asmy aparAdhAnAm Alayo 'kincano 'gatiH |
tvam evopAyabhUto me bhava" iti prArthanA matiH
SaraNAgati:

I am the abode of all sins, utterly helpless and
without any other recourse. Oh Lord! You alone must be
my means! Such a condition of the mind is called
SaraNAgati.

AnukUlyam iti proktam sarvabhUtAnukUlatA |
anta:sthitA'ham sarveshAm bhAvAnAm iti niScayAt ||

resolution to conform to the Lord's will: positive
acts of service - kindness, and love to all beings;
-Out of the certainty of feeling that the Lord abides
in all beings, kindness to all beings is said to be
'conformity to His will'. [Courtesy: Sri Mani
Varadarajan USA]

More of it ? later.

Let us enjoy the 3rd verse.

meenn^Okkum neeLvayalsoozh viRRuvakkOt tammaaen
paaln^Okkaa yaakilumun paRRallaal paRRillEn
thaann^Okkaa theththuyaram seythitinum thaarvEnthan
kOln^Okki vaazhum kudipOnRi runthEnE
           5.3

The fishes (even if the oceans get dried up) consider
this field alone as their only place of residence ?
such fields are in abundance in your
ThiruvitthuvakkOdu. Even if You, Lord of
VitthuvakkOdu, do not turn Your glances towards me, I
will not seek anyone else for my support and
protection. The king who is meant to rule and take
care of the citizens of his kingdom, even if he does
not do his duties and tortures them as dictator, there
is none else whom the residents and citizens can go to
and seek only His scepter. Similarly, I, the humble
and eternal servant of Yours, would only seek Your
grace.

AzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo narayana