You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00164 Jul 2008

Jul 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagwat Daasas,

Sriman Venkatakrishnan had given a spirited reply to Sriman UV Madhavakannan' s post which used the word SHIVA to denote Lord SHIVA.  He said that only after the advent of Naayanmaar's writings that word SHIVA  was used to refer to Lord Shiva.

Sri Madhavakannan has been contributing very scholarly articles for quite some time. They have been authoritative and a pleasure to read and enjoy..  I am proud to be able to say something in support of this scholar's writing.

Mahabharata is our ANCIENT Epic and hence clearly belongs to MUCH EARLIER era than Naayanmaars. In ANUSHAASANA parva, chapter 14, Shloka 17 line2, we see following words:

(Bheeshma Uvacha)  SHIVAAYA SHIVAROOPAYA. ......... .

Yudhishtira requested Bheeshma to tell him the names of Lord Shambu.  Bheeshma replied that he was too incapable of listing Lord Mahadeva's names and that Bhagawan Krishna is the only one capable of listing the (thousand) names of Sri Rudra describing His qualities.  Then Bheeshma calls  Krishna, "Vishnu! you deserve to describe the "Gunaas" of  SHIVA  ("SHIVAAYA) who is auspicious (SHIVAROOPAAYA) ".

Then Lord Krishna gave the world the SHIVA SAHASRANAAMAM.

Shri Krishnaaya Govindaaya Gopeejanavallabhaay a Namaha.

Dasan,
Krishna Murthy
Dallas, Texas

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan