You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00007 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

--- sadagopaniyengar <sadagopaniyengar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sita's Sins, Big and Small-2`
>
> Piratti's sins, if they could be called such, were prompted by
> extreme Bhagavat bhakti. The intolerance of even the thought of
> anything untoward happening to the Lord and inability to
> countenance any delay in initiating rescue operations in that
> regard, were what occasioned the cruel remarks addressed to
> Lakshmana,
=== message truncated ===

Dear SrimAn Sadagopan iyengar,

The narration of the 'agni-pravEsam' scene in the Ramayana never
fails to move one's heart no matter how often it is repeated. Your
account is no exception.

Sir, I leave this thought of mine with you:

When we read the Ramayana, we see that Rama's harsh words to
'pirAtti' were a thousand times more painful than any she used
against Him on the specific occasions referred to in your very
interesting posting. The Lord told Sita (in full view and hearing of
the entire public at large in Lanka), "Begone, Sita! I have no more
use for you! You may choose anyone of my 3 brothers to henceforth be
your man! Or you may even wish to go with Vibeeshana or any of these
rAkshAsA-s! Choose any of the 10 directions in this world and get
lost in it!".

Whatever may be the explanations and extenuating reasons that
commentators may give for this behaviour of Lord Rama, there is no
doubt in our minds that the Prince of Ayodhya certainly violated all
norms of noble behaviour and decency in using such intemperate
language against 'pirAtti'.. that too in open assembly.

It raises one question therefore in my mind: In hurting 'pirAtti'
with such searing words, did Rama not commit 'bhAgavata apachAram'?
After all wasn't Sita like Rama's shadow? Wasn't she his very
life-breath? Wasn't she His foremost devotee -- His special 'bhakta'
in that special way in which all 'dharma-patni-s' and
'saha-dharmachAriNi-s' in the land of Bharata remain indeed to their
husbands unto the very end of their lives?

May it not be said therefore that Rama stands accused of the biggest
ever violation of the cardinal precept: Thou shalt not commit
'apachAram' against a 'bhAgavata' which is sin a thousand times more
heinous than 'apachAra' against 'bhagavan' Himself?

If, as you say, 'pirAtti's' sins were prompted by extreme
'bhagavat-bhakti', we wonder what then lay behind Rama's sin of
'bhAgavatha-apachAram' aginst 'pirAtti'?

Perhaps this thought might inspire you, Sir, to pen another
interesting posting entitled "Rama's Sins, Big and Small"... I would
really look forward to it, indeed!

Thanks and regards,

dAsan,
Sudarshan