You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00084 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Krishnaya Namah!

Arya dharman thiraskrutya puraskrutya mahotsavan
thadanaham harerdaso loketwam na pravarthaye

Devarshi Narada vouch for the fact that " If I won't spread Hari bhakthi
across the world, leaving aside all the dharmas, I would not call myself as
Hari Dasa"

Sage Narada, thus, as all of us know, always on his toes for spreading
bhakthi in the world and his Narada sutra is one of his works which stands
out as one of the torch bearer for bhagavathas to do prapatti at His
divyapadam.

Bhakti, he says, purifies the heart and not vice versa. I.e., we should not
think that first our heart should be purified to allow bhakthi to flourish,
but bhakthi enters heart of any sort and slowly but steadily purifies it.

To illustrate, let us dwell on "Bhikshu Pada Praschana Nyayam" . As per
this, One begger, in a broad day light, unable to withstand the heat and
humidity, requests the indweller of a house to let him stand inside for a
while to cool himself. The host agrees and the begger enters and stands
inside his house for a while. Then after some time, he sits there and
after a while he relaxes and then lay down on the floor. The surprised
host asks him to leave but the Bhikshu(i.e., the begger) instead of leaving
at the order of the host, tells the host to go out of the house. This is
how Lord (through our Nirhetuka/sahetuka bhakthi) enters our heart as a
small spark, then He becomes a gyana jyothi and after sometime He will
become a powerfull beam of light inside our hearts and throws our Aham,
i.e., the feeling of I, out of us.

Also, Narada envisages in this sutra that Bhakti cannot be experienced /
nurtured by force and it is all His krupa. To illustrate this he narrates
Prahlada's and Lord Narasimha's conversation, wherein, after many years of
successfull kingship, Prahlada finally has been graced by Lord Narasimha
liberation(mukthi). Prahlada, suitable to his caliber/character, pleads
with the Lord - "Naitan vihaya krupanan vimumuksha ekasa" Lord, I can't
come alone to you leaving all these distress souls(mankind) behind. Lord
Narasimha says " Oh Vatsa, I can't take them into my abode by force, as, If
I do like that, they will not feel happy and hence, please ask them whether
they want to come with you". Prahlada, then went on to ask his subjects
and all of them say one reason or the other which is left pending to be
done in the karmabhoomi, which forbids them to get liberated. They cite
loukika reasons (influenced by maya and being in agnana) viz., age is not
ripe, daughter's marriage on the anvil etc. but none follows him. Finally,
unable to get anybody, Prahlada turns vainly to animals and other jeevas.
Even there also he gets a negative reply, except a sookara(pig) which asks
him whether the abode of Lord gives him food and when Prahlada replies in
negative, that, food is not required there, as there is amrutham(nectar)
which eradicates hunger etc., finally, the pig refuses to come with him.
The moral He won't liberate jeevas by force.

As you may be aware, in the adhyathma ramayana also, those who follows Lord
Ramachandran, his subjects, vanara sainya etc., all are promised of moksham
by Lord Rama himself. And all the jeevas (those who follows Him, whether
human beings, vanaras, birds, animals etc.,) have been sent to His abode.
There might be many karana janma jeevas but in all, those who are intent
to reach His abode, have been liberated by the all merciful God.

Ananyamamatha Vishnemamatha prema sangatha
Bhakthirithyuchyathe Bhishma Prahladodavanaradaihi

Just like the love and care we have towards our body & our people, if we
love Lord Achyutha, that is called as real bhakthi -- says Bhishma,
Prahlada, Uddava & Narada.

Sarvaaparadha Kshamasva!

Sukumar

Sri Krishna Parabrahmane Namah!