You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00111 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear bhAgavatas,

--- sumithra varadarajan <sumivaradan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Though there are only 11 paasurams, ?kangulam
> pagalum? padhigam for lord ranganatha in the whole
> thiruvAimozhi it is a tradition of our acharyas to
> say that all the 1000 paasurams belongs only to
> ranganatha. The same has been repeated by Sri
> parasara bhattar here. He says that the whole
> thiruvaimozhi was submitted to the divine feet of
> Periya perumal and then it was distributed to
> various other divya desa emperumans.

Parasara Bhattar's attachment to Srirangam is
legendary. This has led to some interesting
indicents. adiyEn will recall one interaction
of Sri Bhattar with Sri Anandazhvar.

Anandazhvar too had great attachment to a divya-
desam, but it was Thiruvengadam. At one time, a
bhAgavata who had been with Anandazhvar for a while
in Thirumalai went to Srirangam. While attending
Bhattar's upanyasam there, he happened to sneeze
and said "thiruvengadam" immediately. In those
days, Srivaishnavas would say the name of some
divyadesam after sneezing. Upon hearing this
Bhattar remarked "karuvilE thiruvilAdhAr Ar?",
recalling Thondaradippodi Azhvar's Thirumalai
pasuram 11:

oruvillAl Ongu munnIradaiththu ulagankaL uyya
seruvilE arakkar kOnais seRRa namsEvaganAr
maruviya periya kOyil mathiL thiruvarangamennA
karuvilE thiruvilAdhIr! kAlaththaik kazhikkinRIrE

Here Azhvar says that only those who do not have
the grace of the Lord when they were in their
mother's womb would fail to say thiruvarangam
at least once. But, for Bhattar this applies not
just once but at every opportunity. Needless to
say, he was disappointed at not hearing the
bhAgavata say thiruvarangam after sneezing.

When Anandazhvar heard this, he sent a message
to Bhattar stating "veruvAdhAL vAy veruvi
vEngadamE enRALO, thiruvarangam enRALO?",
refering to Thirumangai Azhvar's Periya
Thirumozhi (5.5) on Srirangam, which starts as
"veruvAthAL vAyveruvi vEngadamE vEngadamE
enginRALAl". Here, the mother of the girl
laments about the state of her daughter who is
tortured by her separation from the Lord. She
says that her daughter who is separated from
Him cries out vEngadamE vEngadamE, even though
the pasuram is dedicated to Srirangam.

How interesting are anubhavams of our acharyas!

Azhvar Emperumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam
adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan

=====