You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00061 Nov 2003

SrI:

Dear Swamy  Desika BhakthAs:

We will now enjoy  the Five Paasurams of Amrutha SvAdhini
Prabhandham  next . These Desika Prabhandha Paasurams
( 110-114) deal with the ChillaRai Rahasyam of Abaya PradhAna
Saaram .

Previous detailed postings on this SrI Sookthi of
Abhaya Pradhana Saaram by adiyEn are archived in :

http://www.ibiblio.org/Sripedia/oppiliappan

Please search under the key words , Abahaya Pradhana
Saaram . There is a wealth of information on this important
SrI Sookthi relating to the Lord assuring the SaraNAgathAs
freedom from every kind of Fear .

(110) SrIman NaarAyaNan is the only UpAyam
**************************************
Our AchAryAs have stored the esoteric meanings of the three
Rahasyams (RahasyArTams) without giving them away as upadEsams
to the unqualified seekers . When sishyAs like us approach
the AchAryAs with reverence and pray for these upadEsams ,
they bless us copiously with these rahasya arTams .They
do this not because they want their fame to be spread or
for amassing  wealth for themselves  but out of their
compassion for us just as the mother cow KaamadhEnu
gives copious milk to her calf  happily .

AchAryas are saluted here as " Kaakkum karutthudai
Desikar " ( AchAryAs who wish to keep rahasyArTams as
Rahasyams so that they do not fall in the hands of the unfit).
" nammai kanRu yena yeNNi surakkum suravikaL pOl
soll amudhu sorihinranar " ( When we approach them with
earnestness  and reverence , they shower us with
the esoteric meanings of the rahasyams just as KaamadhEnu
pours forth milk out of Her full udders for her little one ).
The AchAryAs do not shower these blessings for gaining money
or for advancing their fame ( Ivai eenthAl parakkum puhazh
varum , paimporuL vaaytthidum  yenRu iyampAr).

111) The granting of Abahyam by Lord Raamchandra
In this Paasuram , Swamy  Desikan covers the famous slOkam
found in SrImath RaamAyaNam enshrined as the direct words
of Lord Raamachandra:

SakruthEva PrapannAya tavAsmeethi cha yAchathE
ABhAYAM SARVA-BHUTHEBHYO dAdhAmyEthath vratham Mama

When accepting the plea for SaraNAgathy from VibhIshaNan ,
our Lord expressed His thoughts this way: " I will grant the boon
of  freedom from fear of every kind for all janthus , once they seek
My protection even once and declare that they are My Daasans .This
is Vedam , Smruthi , SadaachAram and my thoughts . My offer of
Abhaya PradhAnam to prapannAs is the vow that I practise at
all times ". Swamy  Desikan states in this Paasuram that his mind
has become tranquil as a a result of the reflections over
the firmness of the Lord's assurance  in the charama slOkam to grant us
freedom from  fear .

The key passage of this Paasuram is " NeRi uraitthAr nilai
uNarnthu nilai peRROm " ( Our mind is tranquil after knowing
the firmness of purpose of the Lord , who instructed us on
His SaraNAgatha RakshaNa vratham).

112) Determination not to seek lower (alpa, asTira) Phalans
It is worldly matter for the animals to reject gold found in
the fields and go after their own food (viz) ., the blades of grass.
On the other hand , the kings will collect that gold with
relish and ignore the grass. Similarly , the insignificant people ,
who have no idea about the glories of the Lord's sacred feet ,
will run after the evanescent and valueless phalans. There is no loss
to us from such behavior by the deluded. We have chosen
the holy  feet of the Lord for our protection . He stands
to protect us all , who sought His feet for their rakshaNam
and is ready to grant them that boon of protection.

The key passage of this Paasuram is: " Tannai adainthida
Taann aruL seyyum TanicchilayOn ponn adi nAmm
adainthOm ; aarr puRam seythidin yenn koll ? "( When
our Lord with His Unique bow of KodhaNdam stands there
to grant us SaraNAgathy , what do we care about those ,
who do not seek the Lord's anugraham? We have chosen
the beautiful feet of Lord Raamachandra as our protection ).

113) Prapatthi's help to other Yogams
******************************
Our merciful AchAryAs , who fully understand the meanings of
Veda-VedAnthams reveal to us the Svaroopams of
Karma , Jn~Ana and Bhakthi yOgams.When one follows
any one of the above three yOgams and yet find it difficult to
practise some of their requirements , the practise of
Prapatthi would overcome those deficiencies in fulfilling
the total requirements of all the other Yogams as means
to Moksham.Thus Prapatthi yOgam  has the power to
accomplish all Phalans. Please recognize Prapatthi's
unique power to stand on its own to grant all phalans
through developing a clear understanding of the meaning of
PraNavam .

114) The legendary forbearance of Lord Raamachandran
Kaakusura SaraNagathy is the topic of this Paasuram .

When KaakAsuran committed a major offense againt
SitA PirAtti , Lord Raamachandra sent a BrahmAsthram
against him to destroy him . The asuran was chased by the powerful
asthram and circled the universe and begged the gods to
save him from the power of that asthram . The sages and DEvAs
were appaled at his offense and chased him away. After
circling the universe without no one to help him , the asuran
was exhausted and fell at the feet of Lord Raamachandra
and begged for the gift of life . Our Lord who has taken
the vow to protect anyone , who sought His protection branded
the asuran by taking one of  his eyes away since the power of His
asthram could not be diminished. The Kaimkaryam to this
most generous Lord is the Life's goal (PurushArTam).
To secure that goal , the grace of the Lord that is influenced
by the performance of Prapatthi on our part. The AchAryAs
instructed us on the inner meanings of SaraNAgathy .May we
enjoy the bliss of staying at the shade of those AchAryA's Thiruvadi !

The upadEsam from this Paasuram is that our Lord will protect us
even if we are aparAdhis as long as we surrender at
His feet as the helpless ones . KaakAsura SaraNAgathy
is given as an example for the Lord's forbearance.

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam , Daasan ,
Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM