You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00045 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest Srivaishnavas,

Let us continue to query and seek answers/
clarifcations.

Question 3: Ok. Everyone and everything is His
sareeram; When such is the case, why did KaNNan choose
only those Gopasthrees specially; and in particular?
Why did He bless them with such enjoyment? If He does
not have humanly desires, anger and hatred as He is
the Lord, why did He have to hug the Gopa sthrees?
Gopikas also- why did they fall in love with Him? Even
if KaNNan- being the Lord- does not have any dhOsham,
and is not affected by paapam, punyam and he is not
affected by Karma- still the poor Gopikas get these
dhoshams as they desired for another Purushan [other
than their own husbands].. How can KaNNan be a party
to such paapams committed by Gopikas?

Answer: Once, the Apsarasthrees [dancing damsels] in
deva loka, by hearing about the most beautiful ?
dhivya sowndharyam of the Lord Sriya: Pathi Sriman
Narayanan and prayed to Him continuously like penance
for blessing them with his dhivya sowndharya roopam
for them to enjoy. Bhagawaan appeared before them and
said, ?Do not worry. I am pleased by your prayers. I
will fulfill your desires. I will appear as KaNNan in
Gokulam during Krishna avathAram and you all appear as
Gopa sthrees. Your prayers will be fulfilled. ? Thus
He blessed them with His divine body and its charm.
They were born as these Gopa sthrees. This purANA
explains. Thus due to their puNya phalam, their past
prayers, they are blessed with this Anandham and it is
Bhagawaan?s organizing things to fulfill His devotees?
prayers. None gets any dhOsham due to these acts.
Punya paapams also vary for humans and Devas.
Devasthrees thus do not get any dhosham due to these
acts and their past prayers only get answered. Also it
is told that rishis in Rama avathAram wanted to enjoy
His dhivya sowndharya ThirumEni when they enjoyed
seeing His ThirumEni; Rama let them be born as Gopa
sthrees probably for their prayers to be fulfilled as
well. All his avathArams had to meet very many
conditions and fulfill all these inter related
incidents.

This is mentioned by swami Desikan as
aChapilasparSanamAthraleelA.. In the next sloka he
says.. thatthadhabhIShtadhAthu:

Question 4: Still, one thing is not understood. Deva
sthrees could have simply got married to KaNNan and
enjoyed Him as His spouses. They could have got their
prayers fulfilled; instead, why should they be born as
Gopa sthrees, leave their husbands, in-laws, children
and run to KaNNan? Why should KaNNan allow this? How
can this be establishment of Dharma? This act is
against the manushya dharma.

Answer: Firstly there are two issues that need to be
understood. The husband-wife, father-son relations are
all not permanent- everyone knows. These all come due
to this sareera sambandham (due to the association
with this body); For this body, these relations come.
They are present as long as this body exists. After
that these relations vanish. In next birth different
parents, children, spouse etc.. Thus the relations are
only temporary and are for this birth; Being a wife,
husband is due to the body taken by this Jeevathma and
these roles will change next birth.

But the relation between Paramathma and Jeevan is
always permanent. He is Swami; We are dAsars. This is
always so. It is natural for all jeevaathmas. It is no
way associated with the body of jeevathma and does not
change when bodies change for various births. Whatever
number of births we take; this relation will never
ever change. unthannOdu uRavEl namakku ingu ozhikka
ozhiyaadhu, Govinda ? says GodhA PiraaTTi. Hence
desiring for the Lord, devoted to Him, performing
service to Him are all to be sought after. They are
normal for jeevathma and are perfectly in accordance
with dharma, saasthrAs. This is to be actually the
welcome one and should necessarily be sought after by
every jeevan for redemption. To achieve that and in
course of achieving the same, if there is a choice
between this versus the bodily relation, one can
choose the relation (eternal) with the Lord. There is
absolutely nothing wrong with that. Kaikeyi wanted to
coronate Bharathan and let him separate from the Lord
Rama. But Bharatha, who wanted to serve the Lord,
brushed aside even the bodily relation of Kaikeyi as
his mother as she was the stumbling block for that
service. He hated her for such thoughts and preventing
him from performing kaimkaryam for Rama. For us, the
Bhagavad, BhAgawatha anubhavam alone is prime and
important. It is in line with our nature. If the
relations are in line with this want of ours and they
work towards, support the same for us, then they can
be with us; if they work against this and do not
support our Bhagavad BhAgawatha anubhavam, they can be
brushed aside like Bharathan. Nothing wrong. The
cowherd women did that. It is no way termed as
incorrect; in fact, it is most appropriate for
jeevaathma by its nature.

This is very clear in Srimad Bhagawatham. When KaNNan
sees them devotedly running towards Him leaving the
elders, husbands, children, and others- and asks:
?what do you want me to do for You all? Go back
quickly and serve your husbands. Do not leav the
dharma meant for women and ladies, wives and mothers?
This not correct. Do not come here. If you want, you
do keerthanam, sing my name, utter my name and think
of me from your hoems. Go home.?.

Gopikas could not control their tears; Their throats
choked; their eyes welled. Their hearts broken; Their
words did not come out of their mouths, tongues
refused to co-operate due to the emotions and sorrows.
Mouths quivered. Our KaNNan- our Lord- KaNNan- is he
saying this? Our only Master, Swami- to Him we belong
to- does He ask us not to come to Him any more and ask
us to go back? They started appealing to Him.

yathpathyapathyasuhadhAmanuvrtthiranga sthreeNAm
swaDharma ithi DharmavidhA tvayOktham |
asthvEvamEthadhupadESapadham tvayeeSE preeShtO
bhavAmsthanumruthAm kila bandhurAthmA ||

kurvanthi hitvayi rathim kuSalA: sva Athman
nithyapriyE pathisuthAdhibhiraarthidhai: kim |
thanna: praseedha paramEswara maasma ChinDhyA ASAm
bruthAm tvayi ChirAth aravindha nEthra ||

Husband, children- serve them- You are advising us.
Let that be there. You are the permanent relation for
all jeevans. You are darling bandhu too for us. You
are the AtmA for us as well. Due to our puNya,
paapams, the karma phalam, there is only dukkham
(sorrows) due to these relations and association with
them. What is the use of that? You are Priyaml darling
for us. The buddhimaans (intellect) realizing this
eternal relationship with You and Your darling form,
ParamAthmic nature, would get eternal enjoyment from
You only. ParamEswaraa! PankajaakshA! Lotus eyed lord-
most merciful One! Please bless us; do not break the
love that we have for You from time immemorial and for
long time.

This is what is Parama hitham for Jeevathma. Most
pleasing to the Lord as well.One should have longing
for Bhagavad vishayam,. Interest and longing for other
matters- one should attempt to get rid of. For that
one should wlawys contemplate on : God alone is
eternal relation for us; All others are only
temporary; Due to karma, these relations exist. Thes
sukhams, dhukkhams are due to Karma. This is what is
insctruced bt Sage Yaagnyavalkya to MaithrEyi and is
in BrahadhAraNyaka Upanishad.

Gopikas realized this from their experience; and
enjoyed His relationship with them. KaNNan also [as is
His nature as the most merciful Lord who runs to
devotees to be with them] blessed them with such
experience. This greatest ultimate of all saasthrAs is
established to us in this Gopika charithram. KaNNan
also, in order to establish this wonderful Bhaagawatha
saasthra dharmam, made this act as His leelA; and
blessed them especially. He wanted His avathAram to
glorify this jeevathmA?s longing for association and
relationship with Him for ever and desire for
enjoyment of His swaroopa, roopa sowndharyam. That was
one of His yet another special [visEsha] Dharma
sthApanam. Thus, it lays down the path for the highest
Vaishnava, prapannan quality and way of life and
establishes the most wonderful way of VaidIka life.
Gopikas are the highest form of devotees and
prapannans the world has ever seen. This is the
greatest of Upanishad DharmA; the pinnacle of
saasthrAs; The jeevathmAs? nithya niroopAhika
ananhaarya sEshathvam is well established in Gopika
Charithram.

The Paramabhakthi [intense devotion] of Gopa sthrees!
What a great devotion! What a mind set of Them ! what
a manO bhAvam! All deeds completely in accordance with
saaathrAs- [not disliked or hated by even their
spouses!] These marvelous dhiva chShtithams of KaNNan
as leelAs should always be contemplated, enjoyed and
read, listened to by us; if one does that, the desire
for lowkika kaamam would vanish; the desire for
sensual pleasures would disappear slowly and
KaNNanukkE Avathu kaamam (desire for KaNNan alone)
would linger and grow in us. Swamy desikan says: This
charithram on Gopikas is the best medicine for the
diseases [like Kaama, krodham] in our minds; This is
the one praised and prayed by Rishis and Saints.

raagAdhirOga prathikAra bhUtham rasAyanam sarvadhaSAnu
bhAvyam |
AsIdhanuDhyEyathamam muneenaam dhivyasya pumsO
dhayithOpavhOga: || [4.101]

Srimad BhAgawatham also mentions bhakthi parAm
prathilabhya kAmam hadhrOgam ASvapahinOthi aChirENa
DhIra: - based on which swamy Desikan composed the
above sloka. Here, the sains follow this charithram
and and declare and enjoy as the Grandest One- says
Swamy. He refers to Sri NammAzhwAr ?kuravai
aacchiyarOdu kOttathum?  and then ?en appan than
maayangaLE ninaikkum nenjudaiyEn.. [I am blessed with
the mind that contemplates only on my Father?s leelAs
and dhivya chEsthithams].

Thus we enjoyed the Gopika charithams. We need to
touch upon one of last slokas of Yadhavaabhyudhayam
before completing this series for completion?s sake.
That tells us how one should enjoy the
KrishnAvathAram.

Too long..hence tomorrow ? we will continue..
Anything found good in these posts is only due to the
wonderful original article written by Sri U Ve Dr
Vasudevachar Swami from  Swamy Desikan?s excellent
analysis. Mistakes, errors, omissions are entirely
mine

Sarvam SrI KrishNArpaNamasthu
AchAryan ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards