You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00134 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
his darling daughter GodhA PiraaTTi?s Naacchiyaar
Thirumozhi verses... on ThiruvEnkatam? [Extracted from
the most wonderful translation of Smt Kalyani
Krishnamachari based on Sri Sadagopan Swamin?s
treatise and acharyas? commentaries.]

nAcciyAr tirumozhi VIII ? starts with viNNIla mElAppu
? these ten verses are on ThiruvEnkatam. Let us enjoy
the second verse- mAmutta nidhi Sorium)

mAmutta nidhi Sorium mAmugilgAL!
vE~nkaTattuc cAmattin niRam koNDa tALALan vArttai
ennE?
kAmattI uL pugundu kaduvap paTTu iDaik-ka~ngul
Emattu Or tenRalukku i~ngu ilakkAi nAn iruppEnE 8.2

Translation from SrImAn SaDagOpan's tamizh treatise:
Oh clouds, who rain blessings on everyone without even
being asked! Did the blue-hued, tiruvEnkaTamuDaiyAn
send any message for me through you? The fire of kAmam
I have for Him is torturing me inside out and I am
being tortured also by the so-called sweet breeze
during midnights.

Additional thoughts from SrimAn SaDagopan: vArttai
ennE?: ANDAL is suffering from viraha tApam and is
enquiring the clouds : "did vittakan vE~nkaTavANan
tell you when He is coming here?" Did "niccalum
tImaigaL Seyyum nIL tiruvEnkaTattu nIlamEga vaNNan"
send a message for me that He would come soon, knowing
that I am suffering from love for Him? Even though she
is taking after her father and blabbering:
"vEdapporuLE, en vE~nkaTava, vittaganE in~gE
pOdarAyE", her vEnkaTavan is not coming to her and is
staying put in tirumalai, totally ignoring her. Hence
her sympathetic appeal to the clouds.

Additional thoughts (from SrI Periya Vacchaan Pillai
):
nidhi Sorium: The clouds are used to giving all the
time and that too not waiting for anyone to ask, and
not expecting anything in return. In fact, when the
clouds can't shower like this, their body becomes all
pale (white). tiruvaLLuvar praises this greatness
through the following tirukkuRaL - "kaimmARu
vENDAk-kaDappADu mAri mATTennARRunkollO ulagu" - the
world does not think of repaying the favor given to
them by the raining clouds; that is how service to
others must be given - without expecting anything in
return (from SrI kr*shnasvAmi iyengar).

VenkaTattu - The thought here is that the clouds share
this same place with tiruvE~nkaTamuDaiyAn, and so they
are very familiar with Him. Since they live in the
same place as He does, they should know. SAmattin
niRam koNDa: The word SAmam here stands for the
samskr*t words SyAmam, meaning "dark-blue". The clouds
not only share the place with Him, but they also
resemble Him in color [["Uzhi mudalvan uruvam pOl mey
karuttu" - tiruppAvai]].

tALALan: Refers to His Greatness, viz. those who
surrender at His Feet are unconditionally given
moksham irrespective of any sins they might have
committed.

SrI T.S.rAjagopAlan observes that tALALan also refers
to His having a SarIram for Himself that is really
held by Him only for the sake of His devotees. SrI PVP
refers to the jitante stotram 1.5 - "na te rUpam na
cAkAro nAyudhAni na cAspadam | tathA'pi purushAkAro
bhaktAnAm tvam prakASase ||". In this sense, bhagavAn
has the greatness that the mA-mugil lacks, viz. He
bears this tirumeni for the sake of others, but keeps
aloof from them till they come seeking Him; He does
not go and embrace everyone irrespective of their
disposition to Him, unlike the clouds which shower for
everyone. [But He does not now grant the same for
AndAL- that is her grouse]

vArttai ennE?: Even though He didn't come here, if He
felt that it is His own loss not to have responded to
ANDAL's prayers, he must have said something to the
clouds, and ANDAL is asking the clouds for this
information. For instance, He could have felt bad that
He did not come and help ANDAL by fulfilling her
prayers, and told the clouds:

1. Find out what godai is doing and let me know.
2. I cannot live without ANDAL for even a second, just
as rAma could not live without sItai even for a second
- "na jIveyam kshaNamapi" (SrImad rAmAyaNam sundara
kANDam 66-10)
. 3. I don't even know that a girl named ANDAL is
related to me - as dushyantan said about SakuntalA.
godai is hoping to survive just listening to His
words. How can words be enough to survive?

SrI PVP quotes arjuna's words in gItai, where arjuna
was able to carry on just listening to bhagavAn's
words: "nashTO mOha: s*mrtir labdhA tvatprasAdAn
mayA'cyuta | sthitosmi gatasandeha: karishye vacanam
tava" - gitA 18-73. (acuta! My moham got destroyed; I
attained true knowledge; my doubts are all cleared; I
will do as you said). Additionally, SrI kr*shnasvAmi
iye~ngAr quotes nammAzhvAr's tiruvAimozhi 4-7-3 to
point out that even negative words from bhagavAn could
have made him continue living:

"pAvi nI enRu onRu SollAi pAviyEn kANa vandE" -
nammAzhvAr wishes to at least listen to some chiding
words from emperumAn - "Call me a great sinner, that
is fine, as long as you come and talk to me". Even
though godai kept asking the clouds what His words
were, they keep quite and so becoming depressed, she
continues her outbursts.

kAmat-tI uL pugundu: ANDAL wonders: Maybe He thinks
that the kAmat-tI or fire of intense love towards Him
is like the ordinary fire of this world. Think of
naraka agni, which is several times more intense than
the ordinary agni of this world. The kAmat-tI by which
ANDAL is being tortured longing for Him is several
times more intense than the naraka agni also. This
agni first scorched her external appearance, and now
is finding its way to scorch her AtmA. Since the fire
of this kAmat-tI originated from her AtmA to start
with anyway, it is not wonder that it is now troubling
the AtmA.

kaduvappaTTu: This fire of longing for Him is not only
scorching her inside out, but now it is catching fire
and burning her.
iDaikkan~gul Emattu: this can construed in 2 ways:
1. ka~ngul iDai yAmattu - During the middle of the
night;
2. iDaik-ka~ngul - in the middle of the night, Emattu
- with a lot of security in a lonely surrounding. Even
though she is longing to be with Him all alone, now
she is all alone without Him and with no one to even
console her.

Or tenRalukku: ANDAL is wondering if He really is
unconcerned because He does not realize how severe the
effect of this breeze is on her. But then again, the
fact that the tenRal (sweet breeze) is torturing to
lovers who are separated is nothing new to Him. He
knows exactly how it feels: padma sougandhi kavaham
Sivam SOka vinASanam | dhanyA lakshmaNa! SevantE
pampOpavana mArutam || (kishkindA 1.105) "Oh
lakshmaNa! Only bhAgyavAns will enjoy this pure breeze
which brings the sweet smell of the lotus flowers, and
which comes floating over the groves in the banks of
pampA river". rAma, when He was separated from pirATTi
could not bear the breeze and felt tortured. And since
He knows this personally, should He not have come and
offered His protection to her under His Feet? He
should know that the only way the severity of this
breeze will subside is if the two were united and
together.

SrI PVP explains in detail how Lord rAma describes
this tenRal that is killing Him: Sivam - Auspicious
(since it will destroy Him who is separated from sItA
pirATTi); Soka vinASanam - relieve Him of His misery
(by destroying Him once for all without slowly
torturing Him); pampovana mArutam - the breeze from
the pampo vanam (which in His case is like fire from
an agni kuNDam). nan illakkAi: ANDAL is wondering why
she has been targeted for this suffering. Is it
because He thinks she should also suffer like Him or
that she is also capable of bearing this torture as He
did? She is the type who trembles when she encounters
breeze, and she won't live long under these
circumstances. Or, does He want to live after she is
gone?

Thanks to Smt Kalyani krishnamachari for her wondreful
post... and permission to enjoy in this series.
AndAL ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana

http://mail.yahoo.com