You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00256 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,
Let us now continue on GodhA PiraaTTi?s Naacchiyaar
Thirumozhi verses... on ThiruvEnkatam? [Extracted from
the most wonderful translation of Smt Kalyani
Krishnamachari based on Sri Sadagopan Swamin?s
treatise and acharyas? commentaries.]

Let us enjoy the final verse 10.8 [from Nachiar
Thirumozhi] today? This completes AndAL?s anubhavams
of ThiruvEnkatam.

mazhaiyE! mazhaiyE! maN puRam pUSi uLLAi ninRa
mezhugu URRinARpOl URRu nal vE nkaTattuL ninRa
azhagap pirAnAr tammai en ne njattu agappaDat
tazhuva ninRu ennai tagaittuk koNDu URRavum vallaiyE
10.8

Oh rainy clouds! In making vigraha-s etc., it is
common to first make a figure of wax, then coat it
outside with clay, and then melt the wax inside and
pour it out. The azhagar of tiruvE nkaTam has
similarly embraced me outside, and is melting me
inside out and destroying me. Won t you first unite me
with Him so that I can embrace Him closely just as I
am imagining in my mind, and then shower your rains
over both of us to your heart s content? [Meaning from
SrI SaDagOpan mama?s [of New Yorls] tamizh treatise:]

Wonderful anubhavams of SrI Periya Vacchaan Pillai
Swami:

The clouds have rained and made the flowers (kArkkODal
etc.) blossom, and the peacocks dance with joy, and
have tortured ANDAL in whichever way they can. Now
they have started showering on her as well, and thus
continue to disturb ANDAL s mind even further. SrI
tirumalai nambi is said to have become deeply
engrossed with the meanings of this pASuram and the
next one, and after chanting these pASurams, will be
filled with tears in his eyes ( kaNNum kaNNIrumAi oru
vArttaiyum SollAdE ), and will become silent and not
be able to proceed further for quite some time.

mazhaiyE mazhaiyE: the reason why godai is calling the
clouds two times is that, they are all so far away and
she wants to make sure they can hear her.

maN puRam pUSi uLLAi ninRa mezhugu URRInARpOl: People
who make vigrahams first make a wax figure, apply cold
clay on the outside , then melt the wax inside and
pour it out. When emperumAn embraced godai, it was
like applying cold clay on the outside. When her heart
melted and turned inside out, it was like heating up
the wax to expel it outside.

azhagap pirAnAr tammai: He is endowed with the
soundaryam that is so captivating everyone, and I am
totally out of my control.

en ne njattu agappaDat tazhuva ninRu: I should embrace
Him in the same form as He is in my heart, unlike the
current state where He eludes me as soon as I stretch
out my hands to embrace Him. When we are together thus
embraced and together just as bANAsuran's daughter
Ushai and kaNNan's grandson aniruddhan were chained
together in the same jail, then you pour your rain on
both of us to your heart s content; not now when I am
alone and depressed.

Additional enjoyment from SrI PB Annangarachar Swami:
The raining clouds with whom godai had already talked
to in viNNIla mElAppu had been the cause of several
things and events that have tortured her (like the
flowers, fruits, the dancing of the peacocks etc). In
addition to killing her through these, the clouds have
now started raining on her and directly hitting her.
Rain during the vislEsha kaLam (viraha tApa kAlam) is
not a welcome event for godai. Hence, she is
requesting them to rain during the samslEsha kAlam,
when the rain s varsham will be Anandakaram .

Divine commentary from SrI UttamUr
Vijayaraghavachariar Swami:
SrI UttamU Swaami gives a couple of alternate
interpretations for this pASuram. One involves taking
the phrase maN puRam pUSi uLLAi ninRu mezugu
URRiNARpOl URRu nal vE nkaTattuL together, and
interpreting the phrase maN puRam pUSi to refer to
tiruvE nkaTam Hills, and mezugu URRiNARpOl to refer to
the pouring waterfalls over the divine Hills. The
anubhavam here is that tiruvE kaTa malai looks like a
huge rock coating over some object, and bhagavAn is
pouring the waterfalls on these Hills like pouring the
molten candle over this shape.

The second interpretation is that ANDAL is praying to
the clouds that in addition to their pouring their
waters on her, they should embrace Him and bring him
over and shower Him also on her (azhagap piRAnAr
tammai URRavum). This way, He will be close to her
(ennait tagaittuk koNDu) just as she imagines in her
mind. There is a coating in her mind of the desire to
be close to Him, like the wax coating on the figure
referred to earlier.

If the clouds bring Him and pour Him on her mind (en
ne njattu agappaDat tazhuvik koNDu ennait
tagaittukkoNDu URRavum), the wax of desire will melt
away because her desire would have been fulfilled.

ANDAL feels: Currently, I am looking at objects like
you and my desires grow out of proportions out of
despair. If you rain Him on me in such a way that He
is with me the way I imagine in my heart, then I will
not have to look outside at objects like you any more
:
( naishA paSyati rAkshasyo nemAn pushpa phaladrumAn
ekasta hRdayA nUnam rAmamevAnupaSyati rAmAyaNam
sundara kANDam )

mazhiyE mazhaiyE: Can mean several rain clouds or
clouds that are far away or for calling the clouds
with love to request them for their help [[compare
agastya s words in Aditya hRdayam when calling rAma
with love: rAma rAma mahAbAho in yuddha kANDam ].

SRI MG Vasudevan Swami enjoys and shares his thoughts
on this wonderful verse subsequent to Smt Kalyani
Krishnamachari?s [above post]

Oh rain! Rain! why two times. Think of the nursery
rhymes. "Rain rain go away come again another day".
Why two times here? - emphasis? Childish repetition?
Rhythmic beauty? Tongue twister to train these young
ones for tougher words? Whatever it be, added taste is
one single answer. Similarly here also. We also invite
people when they visit us and when they are at the
doorstep- "vaa vaa- come, come"- why? is not one vaa
enough? It is the expression of surprise and
expression of the affection in welcoming. Aathmaartha
welcome.

1.Oh rains! You "maN puram poosi uLLaai". When the
raindrops come down from their high places of
atmosphere, they get coated with the dust in the
atmosphere while travelling down. The  dust is nothing
but particles of earth. Hence you are coated with maN,
puram- puraththE- outside,  poosi- covered  uLLaai-
exist or is there. So it is correct. A scientific
truth and a valid point is stated in such simple
words.

2. Further "Oh rains!" you are coated with dust-
"puram maN poosi uLLaai"- you have mud in your back-
[mudhugil man ottuthal means a defeat, "pOril puRa
mudhugu kaatuthal pOl"- showing the back in the war
means getting defeated in the war]- this shows, Oh
rains! I have understood that you have failed in your
mission - in that ambassadorial mission- of informing
that
Lord of thruvEnkatam, the plight of this poor lady.
Due to indhra kObam? moved suddenly from thiruvenkatam
to thirumaal irum cholai and then to srivilliputhoor.
So you are unable to bring my Lord.

3. In your cloud form you have failed. But I know "Oh
rains! you are capable". When he comes and embraces me
at that time you are capable to disturb our embracing
each other knowing fully well he may get angry or
bless you for enhancing that taste of embracing me.

Is it aanDaaL's self motivation to hope still there is
a chance of meeting him and embracing him?

4. Subsequent words are "uLLaai ninRu ooRRu - how it
is
"mezhuguooRRinaarpOl". uLLaai -uLLe is deformed as
uLLaai- poetic license to change words slightly-
inside this cover of particles of earth, ninRu is or
standing, the ooRRu -the sweet spring water-ooRRu
neer- pure water coming out of a spring in the earth -
similar to the clear melted wax in liquid form kept in
a mud pot.

Oh rains! Like that ooRRu, you are also sweet in your
heart -ooRRu uLLaai- like that spring uLLaththin uLLE
nalla eNNam uLLavaa- and with the good intention of
helping me, but you have failed -ok- I accept your
failure. I know your capacity.

5. "mezhugu kooRRinaaRpol"- for kooRRu one meaning is
"yaman" another is " sol- word". The yaman for Mezhugu
is fire. I am like the wax soft and longing for union
with the lord. When you announce your failure by
having
mud in your back, it is like fire for me.
6. But then also I know your capacity. The "nal
venkataththuL ninRa azhagap piraanaar thammai en
nenjaththagappadath ooRRavum vallaiyE"- that
venkataththuL ninRavan- that Lord of thiru vEnkatam-
that lord azhagar piraan - that Lord of thirumaal irum
chOlai- both are one and the same for me - you are
capable of bringing that person- vallaiyE- very
positive on the capacity of rains.

For doing what- thammai en nenjaththagappadath
thazhuvi ninRu- I will embrace him -avar thammai- in
such a way that he enters into my mind- en
nenjaththagappada- thazhuvi- embrace- ninRu- when I
stand embracing my lord you are capable of disturbing
our stand- ennai thathaiththuk koNdu ooRRavum
vallaiyE.

Another meaning also is possible- en nenjaththagappada
- means when I want to embrace he must cover my
breasts and then embrace so that I enjoy the taste of
his physical contact as well mentally also. At that
stage you are capable of disturbing our embracing by
entering in between us.

In other  tamil literatures there are verses saying
that the thalaivan and thalaivi when they embrace each
other, there should not be any air gap even
in between (kaaRRu kooda nuzhaiyathapadi
thazhuvuthal). Then only it gives the taste of
embracing. I want such an embrace with the lord says
aaNdaaL. But then also she fears the embrace may be
disturbed by rains. The rain is capable of doing that
is the expression here.

7. "maN puram poosi uLLaai ninRu mezhuguooRRinaarpOl
ooRRu nal venkataththuL ninRa azhagap piraanaar"- That
beautiful person azhagap piraanaar who stands in that
thiruvEnkatam venkataththuL ninRa -appears in solid
from outside - maN puram poosi- outside he appears a
hard nut to crack. But inside he is such a parama
kaaruNikan- mezhuguooRRinaarpOl nal ooRRu uLLaai ninRu
- like wax his heart will also melt at his bhakthaas,
dhaasargaL- aNukkar. He is also like the hard earth
outside with a spring having good water inside- nal
ooRRu. Oh what a words- tears flow from eyes for such
a description when I draft these lines.

Enjoy the paasuram by reading it and contemplating on
it.

AndAL ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana