From: "M.G.Vasudevan" <mgv@xxxx>
To: <srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 6:50 AM
Subject: [Oppiliappan] winning ways - post 1

> Dear srivaishnava perunthagaiyeer,
>
> The presence of the grand mother is very essential in the house for the
grandsons and granddaughters to learn some stories. Perhaps the US based
Indian families now have that luxury for the presence of grandmas. That is
because the mothers are present to help their daughters and daughter in laws
in the delivery of the child and foster them for some initial period. By the
time the child wants to listen to the stories from grandma, perhaps she may
be away. Why I talk about grandmas in the first paragraph of this write up
is that generally they tell stories of 'raama' and 'krishna' to the children
in the early stages of life thereby bringing a sense of bhakthi and slowly
developing it over a period.

> Grandmas generally start the story by saying "oru ooril oru raajaa",
following that big management principle of creating the interest first to
attentively listen. On subsequent days, the children would have lost that
interest to this kind of starting. On the contrary great people always start
straight on the subject. But we ordinary mortals need a lot of preface to
get us into that groove.

> Another point in the management science is, to start from an 'existing' or
'known situation' and then go into the new situation to get a grip first and
then expand on the subject to deal. Whereas same is not applicable to
greats. we enter into the meeting of two greats - naaradha and vaalmeeki. -
see there, a straight shot - sage vaalmeeki asks the great naaradha "who is
guNavaan, who is dharmajna" and lists totally 16 guNams. See slOkams.

> [perhaps these you might have read in my "sukhi evarO" and in vaachaama
gOcharam krithi write ups - but it is good and worth to read more or many
more times for each time it gives a new meaning and enlightenment. Hence
repeated even though the length of post may restrict my hands to deal it
again].

> thapa: svaadhyaaya nirathaam thapasvee vaagvidhaam varam |
> naaradham paripaprachchha vaalmeeki: muni pungavam || 1-1-1
> ka: nu asmin sampratham lOkE guNavaan ka: cha veeryavaan |
> Dharmajna: cha krtajna: cha sathya vaakyO dhrDa vratha: || 1-1-2
> chaarithrENa cha kO yuktha: sarva bhoothEshu kO hitha: |
> vidhvaan ka: ka: samartha: cha ka: cha Eka priya dharsana: || 1-1-3
> aathmavaan ka: jitha krOdhO dhyuthimaan ka: anasooyaka: |
> kasya biBhyathi dhEvaa: cha jaatha rOshasya samyugE || 1-1-4
>
> Meaning: the sage-poet Vaalmeeki, inquisitively inquired the divine sage
naaradha, who is
> * the thoughtful person even in meditation,
> * an eternally studious sage in scriptures [about the truth and untruth]
> * a sagacious thinker
> * a sublime elucidator among all expert enunciators,
> * a man who is a composite in his form for all merited endowments.
> * a principled one
> * a potential one,
> * a conscientious one,
> * a redeemer,
> * a truth-teller
> * who is determined in his deeds
> * conduct- wise blended with good-conduct
> * benign in respect of all beings
> * adept
> * able
> * uniquely goodly to look to
> * courageous
> * controlled his ire,
> * brilliant,
> * non-jealous
> * by whom even the gods are afraid when provoked to war
>
> When this question is asked by sage vaalmeeki to sage naaradha, naaradha
maharshi also answers straight - I know of such a person - he is raama,
dhasarathaa's son, of ikshvaaku dynasty, immediately starts pouring
sankshEpa raamaayaNam. [From slokam 8 to 97 of first sargam is an abridged
version of raamaayaNam]

> sruthvaa cha Ethath thrilOkajnO vaalmeekE: naaradhO vacha: |
> srooyathaam ithi cha aamanthrya prahrushtO vaakyam abraveeth || 1-1-6
>
> sruthvaa + cha + Ethath = on listening also all those
> vaalmeekE: = of vaalmeeki
> vacha: = words;
> naaradha: = naaradha;
> thri + lOka + jna: = three worlds preceptor of;
> srooyathaam + ithi = I will relate, thus;
> aamanthrya + cha = on beckoning [vaalmeeki] also;
> pra + hrushta: = very gladly;
> vaakyam + abraveeth = sentence [words] spoke.
>
> Meaning: On listening all those words of vaalmeeki, sage naaradha, the
preceptor of all the three worlds, very gladly said thus, "I will relate",
[also on beckoning at sage vaalmeeki], [to listen attentively] and spoke
these words.

> bahavO dhurlabhaa: cha Eva yE thvayaa keerthithaa guNaa: |
> munE vakshyaami aham budhdhvaa thai: uktha: shrooyathaam nara: || 1-1-7
>
> munE = oh, sage vaalmeeki;
> bahava: = many [or infinite merits];
> dhur + labhaa: = not attainable, [unattainable by conscious development or
effort]
> cha + Eva = also that way [for ordinary humans];
> yE + guNaa: = which merits;
> keerthithaa: + thvayaa = extolled by you;
> thai: + yuktha: = those [facets] one who has [the possessor of those
merits];
> nara: = [of that] man;
> srooyathaam = I make it clear;
> aham + budhdhvaa = I will, having known [from Brahma];
> vakshyaami = I speak on.
>
> Meaning: Oh! Sage vaalmeeki, the merits which you have extolled are many,
and unattainable [for great emperors, let alone ordinary humans, and also
infinite are they, but of such a man with such merits] I will speak on, for
I, having known [from Brahma of such a man] will make clear about that man"
[Thus naaradha started to say].

> ikshvaaku vamsa prabhavO raamO naama janai: srutha: |
> niyatha aathmaa mahaaveeryO dhyuthimaan dhruthimaan vasee || 1-1-8
>
> ikshvaaku + vamsa: + prabhava: = ikshvaaku dynasty as his birthplace
[emerged from ikshvaaku dynasty];
> raama: + naama = raama named;
> srutha: + janai: = heard thus by people;
> niyatha + aathmaa = controlled souled [conscientious];
> mahaa + veerya: = highly valorous one;
> dhyuthimaan = resplendent one;
> dhruthimaan = steadfast;
> vasee = controller [of vice and vile [or,] senses.]
>
> meaning: One emerged from ikshvaaku dynasty and known to people thus as
raama by his name, and he is conscientious, highly valorous, resplendent,
steadfast and a controller of vice and vile. [and his own senses, as well]

> Dear bhakthaas, Perhaps now you all will ask - hey this is all known to
us. What is that you want to say? Just I want to put across such a "great
raamaa's 'winning ways'" in this and subsequent posts.

> We know, king dhasaratha, with much reluctance sent raama along with sage
visvaamithra. [We also saw the saint thyaagaraajaa's krithi on this]. On
sighting thaataka, sage visvaamithra advises raama to kill her. See slOkam

> vadhyathaam thaavath Eva Eshaa puraa sandhyaa pravarthathE || 1-26-22
> rakshaaamsi sandhyaa kaalE thu dhurdharshaaNi bhavanthi hi |
>
> sandhyaa + puraa + pravarthathE = sunset in short time sets in;
> thaavath Eva = before that alone;
> Eshaa vadhyathaam = she be destroyed;
> sandhyaa kaalE = at sunset time;
> rakshaamsi dhurdharshaaNi bhavanthi vai = demons unassailable they become
indeed.

> Meaning: Sun is going to set in a short time, and only before that time
she shall be destroyed, for demons at dusk and afterwards become
unassailable, indeed." So said sage visvamithra to raama. [1-26-22b, 23a]

> ithi uktha: sa thu thaam yaksheem asma vrushtyaa abhivarshaNeem || 1-26-23
> dharsayan sabdha vEdhithvam thaam rurOdha sa saayakai: |
>
> ithi uktha: sa: = thus spoken he, that raama;
> thaam yaksheem = her that yakshee;
> sabdha vEdhithvam dharsayan = sonic archery displaying [his capacity];
> asma vrushtyaa abhi varshaNeem = with stone storms storming;
> sa: = he;
> thaam rurOdha saayakai: = her forestalled with arrows.
>
> Meaning: When visvamitra addressed him thus, raama displaying his capacity
in sonic archery forestalled that yakshee who has gone into invisibility and
storming stone-storms, with his arrows.

> saa rudhDhaa baaNa jaalEna maayaa bala samanvithaa || 1-26-24
> abhi dhudhraava kaakuthstham lakshmaNam cha vinEshudhee ||
>
> baaNa jaalEna rudhDhaa = by arrows arrays obstructed;
> maayaa bala samanvithaa = illusional power possessing with;
> saa = she;
> vinEshudhee = stridently blaring;
> kaakuthstham lakshmaNam cha = to raama lakshmaNa also;
> abhi dhuraava = towards, dashed.
>
> Meaning: And when the arrays of arrows obstructed her who possesses
illusional powers, she dashed towards raama and lakshmaNa blaring
stridently.

> thaam aapathantheem vEgEna vikraanthaam asaneem iva || 1-26-25
> sarENa urasi vivyaadha saa papaatha mamaara cha |
>
> vi kraanthaam= one who is invading;
> asaneem iva = thunderbolt like;
> vEgEna = speedily;
> aa pathantheem = she who is coming and falling - swooping down;
> thaam sarENa urasi vi yaadha = her with arrow on chest struck;
> saa papaatha = she readily fell;
> ma maara cha = completely, dropped dead, too.
>
> Meaning: And raama struck an arrow in her chest who is invading and
speedily swooping down like a thunderbolt, and thus she is readily felled
down and totally dropped dead, too.

> Point: this is the very first victory for raama. This win is achieved by
sabdhavEdhi - by the expertise in shooting arrows in the direction of sounds
emanating. That too only one arrow is sent and the enemy is struck to death.
This also means exhibiting his knowledge and skill in his archery, that too
in front of an expert king turned sage visvaamithra, the guru who gave the
assurance that the ward will be under his protection [also tutelage].
Showing the winning skills in front of a guru is a credit for the student,
is it not?

> [Note: Readers may recall raamaa's father dhasaratha also ended the blind
rishi's son [rishi puthra] by similar sabdhavEdhi, and that lead him getting
the curse of rishi to have puthrasOkam which finally will lead dhasaratha to
death].

> Other winning ways we will see in subsequent posts.
>
> Dhaasan
>
> Vasudevan m.g.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Home Page