You are here: SriPedia - RaamaBhakthi - Archives - Jun 2004

RaamaBhakthi List Archive: Message 00001 Jun 2004

Jun 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

When a person is not that much 'beauty personified', then he puts on a lot of
make up so that he makes himself presentable in front of others. These days the
brides and grooms spend at least few thousand rupees to take the bridal make
up, with the hope that they look attractive at least on that important day of
their life. Perhaps on the very next day without the make up, the couple can at
least think, "hey I looked gorgeous with the make up, nowthat I am without it,
what the other partner will think of me". Then may conclude, may be a
commitment is already made and have to live with it. Or can even think, now
that I decided, cannot go back on this blunder decision.

When it comes to the lord, that too my krishNa, rukmini, the would be consort
then, addressed him even before seeing him, as "bhuvana sundhara" while sending
a letter through that Brahmin [who acted as emissary between the divine
couple].

That too after knowing fully well [for she has heard a lot about him] he isdark
in colour like the cloud.

See the slOkam in sreemadh bhaagavatham 10th skandham uththara ardham - second
half of 10th canto sargam 52 - chapter 52 SlOkam 37

sruthvaa guNaan bhuvana sundhara sruNvathaam thE
nirvisya karNavivarai: harathOnga thaapam|
roopam dhrusaam dhrusmithaam akhilaarthha laabham
thvayi achyuthaa aavisathi chiththam apathrapam mE ||

See the admission - I heard your characteristics. See also 'roopam dhrusaam' -
seen your figure, concluded you are the most beautiful in the world - so
nicknamed you as bhuvana sundharan. [- seen photo? Those days may be portraits
drawn by artists are the photos available. May be the artist in his devotion to
krishNa painted very nicely. In spite of all the inherent distortions in the
mode of conveying the roopam, concluded sundharan - that too bhuvana sundharan
- world's best beauty].

Describing the beauty of sree krishNa different bhakthaas sing in the same
style as mother rukmini. May be the language is different. But the substance is
same. Enjoying his beauty to the core. Let it be periyaazhvaar turned as the
mother yasOdhaa - who did all the childcare - or an ascetic like naaraayana
theertha.- enjoying Krishna and his beauty is same. See krithi in raga
naadhanaamakriyaa thaaLam chaapu
composer - naaraayana theertha NT

For this krithi in the fourth tharangam, NT puts a title "krishNa
gOpaalanavarNana abhinaya: kriyathE" - meaning - I describe [by dancing?]
krishNa the gOpaalan - the cowherd or protector of cows - and then gives this
krithi.

Pallavi:
paahi paahi jagan mOhana krihna
parama aanandha sree krishNa
meaning: oh beautiful Krishna, who makes the whole world get enticed by your
beauty, [or stupefy the whole world by your beauty], supremely blissful
krishNa, protect me.

charaNam
1.      dhevakee vasudhEva nandhana krishNa
dhivya sundhara sree krishNa - paahi

meaning: oh krishNa, the delighter of vasudhEva and dhEvakee, divinely
beautiful Krishna. [Bhuvana sundhara - there dhivya sundhara here.]

2.      nandha yasOdhaa nandhana krishNa
indhu vadhana sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa, the delighter of nandha gOpa and yasOdhaa, the moon faced
krishNa

3.      kundhara dhana kutila aLaka krishNa
mandha smitha sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa, beautifully curly haired one with a wealth of jasmineon
it, smiling gently

4.      kinkiNee rachitha gaNam gaNa krishNa
kreedaalOla sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: Oh sri krishNa, bells making sound as ganagana and one who
enjoysplaying tricks with others.

5.      kunkuma banga vibangila krishNa
koota mahima sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa one who makes the kunkumam - vermillion to get bogged down
by your lips colour and who has a multitude of fame.

6.      chanchala jalanchala noopura krishNa
manjuLa vEsha sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa who has a waist band which makes chal chal sound because of
the bells attached to it, one who is dressed so beautifully.

7.      tharaLitha kundala maNditha krishNa
thaaNdava lOla sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa having a splendid ear stud having the beautiful central gem
of a necklace decorating your stud in the ears, one who likes playingdances to
the dance tunes.

8.      Dhikrutha suraripu maNdala krishNa
dheena paalana sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa one who made peace with the enemies of dhEvaas , one who
protects the weak ones.

9.      saadhu saadhu nata vEsha sree krishNa
sathya sandha sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa - one who plays the role of a quiet man with ease -
orinnocent one with ease, one who is true to his salt.

10.     paalitha naaraayaNa theertha krishNa
parama paavana sree krishNa - paahi
meaning: oh krishNa, the protector of naaraayana theertha, and one who
supremely delights.

Comments on the krithi and links if any to 4000 dhivya prabhandham we will see
in next post as the length increases.

Please observe in this krithi there are 22 krishNa naamam - by singing thissong
itself a good meditation on krishNa is achieved. So please do meditate and
await krishNa taste in next post.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

Home Page