You are here: SriPedia - RaamaBhakthi - Archives - Jul 2004

RaamaBhakthi List Archive: Message 00010 Jul 2004

Jul 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 2

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

In the previous post we saw the krithi of OVS mahaan, which is almost
maNipravaaLa translation of sreemadh bhaagavatham slOkam on the krishNaa's
birth. We will see the meaning and few points on the krithi in this post.

The slOkam read "tham adhbhutham baalakam". We, to denote children of all ages
upto their marriage, wrongly use this word 'baalaka' or 'baala'. But there are
separate words available, which are given just for information and start using
correct words for correct situation
baala: - a child boy - under five years
kumaara: - boy under 5 years
sisu: - under age 8 from 5 years
poganda: - for boys between 5 to 9 [sometimes till 16 also considered]
kichOra: - 10 to 16 years boy
[source - Monier Williams Sanskrit English dictionary]

now we will see the meaning of the krithi we had in the post 1:

Raagam: naattakurinji thaaLam: aadhi thaaLam
pallavi:
adbhuthanaam baalakanaam ambuja eekshaNaam
ananthanaam nandha maayavanai vasudhEvan kaNdu koNdaan

meaning: vasudhEvan [father of krishNa] saw that wonderful child, resplendent
with lotus-like eyes, that endless lord, that happy trickster.

anupallavi part 1:
vathsamenum maruvum maalaiyum kausthubhamum
maarbinilE viLanga moolath thaththuva sankhamum
chakkaramum gadhaiyum thaamaraiyum naalu kaigaLil ilanga
meththa oLi minnaladu naaNa peethaambaramum
mEniyadhu kaarmukhilin neela niRamE thaghavum

meaning: vasudhEvan saw that child krishNa
-       decorated with the sreevathsam mark,
-       garlands around the neck,
-       the shining kausthubham in his chest,
-       the four hands holding (a) that conch which declares the praNavam the
basic principle of sound, (b) the discus, (c) the mace, (d) the lotus,
-       the light itself will shy when sees the peethaambaram the yellow dress,
-       the body having a beautiful hue like that of rain clouds which fits
moreaptly.

anupallavi part 2 continued:
muththu navaratthina padhakkam makutak-katakam
munji puri noolum aparanji maNi takkaNamum kaatti
pazha vinaigaL Otti karuNai vizhi kootti
aanandham ootti bhakthi neRi naatti mandha naghai kaatti
khara kamalam -aattiya paramEttiyavan karuNai koLum [adbhuthanaam]

meaning: vasudhEvan saw that child krishNa
-       a shining pearl and gem studded jewel in the chest,
-       the gem studded head gear [kreetam],
-       the sacred thread across chest having the deer skin as munji [a small
cut piece of deer skin to purify or sanctify the sacred thread]
-       bells hanging in the waist belt
-       the sins carried over were all destroyed
-       the eyes of the child krsihNa shedding sympathy -dhayaa
-       the very sight created happiness in the heart
-       the way of bhakthi established
-       exhibiting a slow smile
-       the lotus in hand shaking and indicating [something]
-       that supreme lord shows sympathy

charaNam part 1:
kaNdaan kaNdu koNdaan aNdarum kaaNaadha athisaya maayavanaik
karpakamum nava nidhiyum kaamadhEnuvum bhuvanangaLai oru
kudaiyil kattik - kaavalooRum perum padhamum kaivalyamum
indhirap - padhaviyOdu siddhigaL ettum idhO enavum

meaning: vasudhEvan saw that child krishNa, vasudhEvan saw repeatedly,
-       that wonderful lord who can not be seen easily by the dhEvaas
themselves,
-       that karpaka tree
-       that nine types of wealth,
-       that rare of rarest kaamadhEnu cow,
-       that king of all the worlds brought under single roof, protected by
him,
-       who gives the supreme relief,
-       who offers the seat of indhra,
-       who offering all 8 sidhdhis- results,
-       says hey take all these

charaNam part 2 continued:
paRai kotti muzhakkiyum avaigaLai oru kaNam
ettik kasandhadhu ena veruththidum -uLam attiyillaadha
aanandhamaaga neelath - thirumEniyanai nirmalanai
niththiyanai niraakaaranai nirguNanai oru kaNa ninaivaarkada
nenjam iruppavanait thaththuvanai dhaayakanaith-
thaarakanai senthaamaraiyaaL aga naayakanai
kaNNaarath-thaanavanai thaanavanai
thaanavanai thaanavanaik- kaNdaan [adbhuthanaam]

meaning: vasudhEvan saw that child krishNa with all his eyes
-       drummed and announced to all happily
-       just shying away from that saying hey all these are bitter in front of
this krishNa
-       saw happily that blue coloured lord with a clean mind
-       saw that pure of purest
-       saw that ever living [endlessly living]
-       saw that niraakaaran -
-       saw that characterless
-       with a single second thinking of him removes all blemish in the mind
-       that the key matter
-       that lord showering sympathy
-       that basic of all
-       the husband of that lotus born mahaa lakshmi.

[Note: there are no parts split in anupallavi and charanam but for convenience
of giving meaning I have done that.]

Points:
1. See here, due to the happiness of seeing krishNa mentally, by the poet, that
word 'thaanavanai' is repeated 4 times. This word if split as thaan avanai and
added with kaNNaarak kaNdaan - then the sentence becomes complete and conveys
kaN aara - eyes wfilled with wonder - with awe - saw my krishNa. Another
meaning is thanavan - dhEvan - thanavanaith thaanavanai - god of gods - yes who
else it is - than my krishNa. Oh what a line.

2. Let us compare side by side the SB slokam and OVS krithi:
a. SB: tham adbhutham baalakam ambuja eekshaNam

OVS: adbhuthanaam baalakanaam ambuja eekshaNaam

b. SB: chathur bhujam sankha gadhaaryudha aayudham |
sreevathsa lakshmam galasObhi kausthubham

OVS: vathsamenum maruvum maalaiyum kausthubhamum
maarbinilE viLanga moolath thaththuva sankhamum
chakkaramum gadhaiyum thaamaraiyum naalu kaigaLil ilanga

c.      SB: vasudhEva aikshath

OVS: ananthanaam nandha maayavanai vasudhEvan kaNdu koNdaan
OVS: kaNNaarath-thaanavanai thaanavanai
thaanavanai thaanavanaik- kaNdaan

d. SB peethaambaram saandhra payOdha soubhagam ||

OVS: meththa oLi minnaladu naaNa peethaambaramum
mEniyadhu kaarmukhilin neela niRamE thaghavum

e SB: mahaarha vaidhoorya kireeta kuNdalathvishaa
parishvaktha sahasra kunthalam |

OVS: muththu navaratthina padhakkam makutak-katakam

f. SB: udhdhaama kaanchi angadha kankaNaadhibhir virOchamaanam

OVS: munji puri noolum aparanji maNi takkaNamum kaatti

Thus you can see the central idea and a large portion of the SB slOkams arejust
translated into our language for us to enjoy that krishNa jananam.

3. Now let us see the naaraayaNeeyam slOkams, which describes the krishNa's
birth.

baalya sprusaa~pi vapushaa dhaDhushaa
vibhootheerudhyathkireeta katakaangadhahaara bhaasaa |
sankhaarivaarija gadhaaparibhaasithEna
mEghaasithEna parilEsitha soothigEhE || slOkam 3 canto 38 naraayaNeeyam

meaning: thou didst shine in the lying in room with a form which though that of
a child was endowed with all the divine majesties of mahaa vishNu, with a
shining diadem, bracelets, shoulder ornaments, and necklace, with conch,
discus, lotus, and mace in the four hands and with a complexion blue likethat
of a rain cloud.

vaksha: sthhaleeshkhanileena vilaasi lakshmee
mandha aalakshitha kataaksha vimOksha bhEdhai: |
than mandhirasya khala kamsa kruthaamalakshmeem
unmaarjayanniva virEjithha vaasudhEva || slokam 4 canto 38 naraayaNeeyam

meaning: O lord, who art born as the son of vasudhEva thou didst shine there as
lakshmee who ever is inseparably present on thy chest in all her glorycast her
glances of various graces all around as if to disperse the oppressive
wretchedness that reigned in the prison house of the wicked kamsa.

Here also we can see the same SB slOkam is just maintained with the theme, but
given in poet's own version in Sanskrit which is for us to enjoy.

4. oh naaraayaNaa - oh krishNaa - hey born dressed special child - please be in
my mind to enjoy you without a separation between you and me - chindhai
piriyaadha naaraayaNaa - let me enjoy your birth in my mind -

vaNNap pavaLa marunginiR chaaththi malarp paadhak kiNkiNi aarppa
naNNith thozhum avar chindhai piriyaadha naaraayaNaa - [says periyaazhvaar in
2-3-2]

oh Krishna please be in my mind, without separation even for a second.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia