You are here: SriPedia - RaamaBhakthi - Archives - Sep 2003

RaamaBhakthi List Archive: Message 00001 Sep 2003

Sep 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear SrI Malolan Cadambi:

The Krithi, "VaachamagOcharame" is in the apoorva
Raagam of Kaikavasi and is setin DesAdhi TaaLam.Here Saint Thyagaraja loses
his mind over the enjoyment of
BhagavAn's dhivya Roopam . Here is the text of Krithi with meaning:

Pallavi: VaachamagOcharamE Manasaa!
VarNImpa taramE? Raama Mahima

Anupallavi: rEchAri Marichuni BaDaga goDDi
rENDO vaani sikhi kOsaGEna

CharaNam: Maanavathee madhinErigi
chAmara mouDa kasthramu nEya gani
mAnamBukai mEDadhAchagaa
MaadhavuNDu gani karagi vEgamE
dheenArthi bhanjanuDai prANa
dhAnAmBhOsaga munu janina
BhANAmBhunaDu chEdharajEya lEdhA ?
gAnalOla Thyagarajanuthu mahima

(Meaning): Oh my Mind! How can one describe RaamA's divine beauty. It is
beyond the power of
the Vaak (speech) . He struck down with His unfailing
arrows Maareechan and his side kick Subaahu.Wishing
to make His PirAtti happy, He sent an arrow after
the beautiful tail of the Chamara deer that flitted
before their hut in the forest. The deer , which considered its tail as
its singular mark of beauty and pride hid its face inside its bushy tail and
was ready to
sacrifice its klife rather than lose its bleoved tail.
Responding to this pathetic gesture of the deer,
the most merciful Lord , offered protection to
the deer and commanded His arrow to return to its quiver
without doing any damage to the deer. How can
one describe the beauty of that Lord in the veera
kOlam and the Saantha kOalam ?

There are many such Roopa MahimA Keethanams of
Saint ThyagrAja such as " Inthatanu VarNimpa Tarama "
in GuNDakriya , MuddhumOmumu in SooryakAntham, alakalalla in MadhyamAvathi ,
LaavaNya Raama in
Rudhra Priyaa , Mohana Raama in Mohanam ,
Sogasu jooda Tarama in KannadagouLaa,
Maravakaraa nava-Manmatharoopuni
in DevagAndhAri, Merusamaana dheera in
Maaya MaaLagouLa , Nee MuddhamOmu joopavE
in Kamala ManOhari, Paluku KandachakkEranu
in Navarasa Kannada , Yemani MaDaDithivO in
ThODi , BrOchuvaa revarE Raghupathi
in SrI Ranjanai , SrI Raama RaghurAma in
Yadhukula KaambhOji , SrI Raama dAsadAsOham
in DhanyAsi and finally the magnificent VarALi
pancharathnam , KaKana Kana RuchirA..

In all these krithis , Saint ThyagarAja will pour out
his anubhavam of the enjoyment of Lord Raamachandran
and decalre his bhAgyam in being His servant peforming
Kaimkaryams for Him. He will select episodes from
SrImad RamAyaNam to enhance further his
visual enjoyment . He will apepal to his mind to dwell
deeply in the bhagavad anubhavam.

These are bhkthi laden krithis of the Saint from
ThiruvArUr.

V.Sadagopan
P.S: You can hear the VeeNa rendition of the Krithi by
the late VeeNai Doraiswamy Iyengar assisted by
SrI Vellore Raamabhadran on the Mrudhangam :

http://sai.aros.net/music/tyagraja