You are here: SriPedia - RaamaBhakthi - Archives - Sep 2004

RaamaBhakthi List Archive: Message 00010 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

----- Original Message -----
From: vempati anjan
To: oppiliappan ; srirangasri
Cc: brahmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; M.G.Vasudevan ; Shobha Subramaniam ; B V Murthy
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:26 AM
Subject: vali slains - part i

Dear raama bhakthaas,

MY SINCERE THANKS TO SHRI.MG VASUDEVAN SIR for his help in posting this vali
slain. i am every greateful to him .

Many of you are familiar with vaali's character in sreemadh raamaayaNam. He is
a very important character, for, he is the brother of sugreevan, the monkey
king who helped raamaa to search and locate seethaa. Further points on his
importance are analyzed from the viewpoints of kamban in coparison with
vaaleeki. On the death of vaali at the hands of raamaa we had a very detailed
write up by Sri Hari krishNan earlier. This attempt is also a sort of follow up
on same vaali vadham topic. Dear bhakthaas, at the end of these posts, you only
have to say this write up gave some new points or not .

To start with who is this vaali - some of the known facts furnished here - as
below.

1. It is well known that during the time of troubles, the supreme lord takes
many avathaarams. King indhran along with all other dhEvathaas went to brahma
first and while discussing with hi the supreme Lord VishNu arrived there. The
dhEvathaas aim is for seeking protection from raavaNan, the mighty raakshasan.
At that time brahma said to lord Vishnu said, "you will take the form of the
manushyan [human] as RaavaNan has been blessed by me [brahma], that his death
will not be by anyone like dhEvaas and many such. Thus excepted were the hands
of naraas [humans] and vaanaraas [monkeys] viz, human and monkeys".

Let us see what sree vaalmeeki says on this.

thEna gandharva yakshaaNaam dhEvathaanaam cha rakshasaam |

avadhyO~asmi ithi vaagukthaa thatha ithi uktham cha than mayaa || 1-15-13

meaning: [Brahma says to the dhEvaas assembled before him] "RaavaNan said while
seeking the boon, 'I shall not be killed by gandharvaas, yakshaas, or by gods,
or by other demons' and I also said 'so be it." [1-15-13]

na akeerthayath avajnaanaath thath rakshO maanushaam thadhaa |

thasmaath sa maanushaath vadhyO mruthyu: na anyO~asya vidhyathE || 1-15-14

meaning: "That demon did not express about humans then with his disrespect to
them, and evidently his death does not occur otherwise." So said Brahma to
gods.

So all these gods including brahma request vishNu to take the human form, which
he also concurs.

bhayam thyajatha bhadram vO hithaartham yudhi raavaNam |

sa puthra pouthram sa amaathyam sa mithra jnaathi baandhavam || 1-15-28

hathvaa krooram dhuraadharsham dhEva rusheeNaam bhayaavaham |

dhasa varsha sahasraaNi dhasa varsha sathaani cha || 1-15-29

vathsyaami maanushE lOkE paalayan pruthveem imaam |

meaning: Get rid off the fear, let safety be upon you, on eliminating that
cruel and evil-minded raavaNan who became dreadful to deities and sages, along
with his sons, grandsons, friends, cousins and relatives, ministers and forces
too in war for your welfare, I will then reside in human world ruling this
earth for 11000 years." Thus Vishnu assured the gods.

See here kamban -

alai kadal naduvaN Or ananthan meemisai

malai ena vizhi thuyil vaLarum maamugil

kolai thozhil arakkartham kodumai theerppEn enRu

ulaivuRum amararkku uraiththa vaaimaiyE.

- 6 thiru avathaarap padalam baala kaaNdam vasittan eNNudhal

Just enjoy the words - vizhi thuyil - vizhi means eyes, another meaning -
vizhiththuk koNdiruppadhu - awaken state. thuyil - is sleep. Vizhi thuyil is -
in awaken state sleeping or with eyes wide open sleeping. Who is doing that -
maamugil - the big cloud - the cloud coloured lord - is simply said maamugil.

Further enjoy that 'uraiththa vaaimaiyE'. Why an emphasis on that 'words
uttered as truth' - does that mean bhagavaan says lies also - in a casual way?
Certainly not. Then why it is 'uraiththa vaimaiyE'. Vaaimai also means vaakku -
words uttered. Here the words uttered is simply not words but an 'assurance' -
a guarantee for their freedom from raavaNan's troubles. So 'uttered truth'
'uraiththa vaaimaiyE'.

2. Further lord VishNu said "I will take the human form and I will be born in
the soorya race, my father will be king dhasarathan and my mother will be
kousalya. Also you all, the dhEvaas, take the form of vaanaraas and await my
arrival to lead you in the war with raavaNan". So the dhEvaas assembled in
front of the lord there, who were praying to VishNu also assumed the vaanara
forms. King indhran took the form of vaali.

The request of dhEvaas and brahma to vishNu [from vaalmeeki]

thvaam niyOkshyaamahE vishNO lOkaanaam hitha kaamyayaa |

raajnO dhasarathasya thvam ayOdhyaa adhipathE: vibhO: || 1-15-19

dharmajnasya vadhaanyasya maharshi sama thEjasa: |

asya bhaaryaasu thisrushu hree sree keerthi upamaasu cha || 1-15-20

vishNO puthrathvam aagachcha kruthvaa aathmaanam chathurvidham |

meaning: Oh! VishNu, desiring prosperity in all the worlds we request you will
engage yourself to become the son of the ruler and lord of ayOdhyaa, namely
dhasarathan, who is a virtuous one, renowned one and one whose resplendence
equals that of the sages, and oh, Vishnu, through the wives of such a king
dhasaratha, who are in similitude with the hree, the virtue, sree, the
affluence, and keerthi, the glory, you have a fourfold transformation and take
birth as their son.

Now the lord vishNu orders the dhEvaas you all go to earth and become
vaanaraas. See kamban on this command.

vaan uLOr anaivarum vaanarangaL aai

kaaninum varaiyinum kadi thadaththinum

sEnaiyOdu avathariththidumin senRu ena

aananam malarndhanan aruLin aazhiyaan

- 18 thiru avathaarap padalam baala kaaNdam

In this verse see the words - aananam malarndhanan - mukham malarndhanan - face
blossomed. See the Sanskrit word is simply tamilised.

aruLin aazhiyaan - aruLin kadal - the ocean of mercy - oh what a sweet way pf
putting across with words.

The same in vaalmeeki is given as brahmaa's command. See slokam

thE thathaa ukthaa: bhagavathaa thath prathi sruthya saasanam |
janayaamaasu: Evam thE puthraan vaanara roopiNa: || 1-17-8

meaning: When Brahma addressed them thus, those gods have agreed to his order
and accordingly started to parent sons in the semblance of monkeys.

Rushaya: cha mahaathmaana: sidhdha vidhyaadhara uragaa: |
chaaraNaa: cha suthaan veeraan sasruju: vana chaariNa: || 1-17-9

meaning: The great-souled celestial groups, namely the sages, siddhaas,
vidhyaadharaas, chaaraNaas have created valiant sons that are forest rangers.
[1-17-9]

vaanarEndhram mahEndhra aabham indhra: vaalinam aathmajam |
sugreevam janayaamaasa thapana: thapathaam vara: || 1-17-10

meaning: Indhra procreated the lord of vaanaraas, namely vaali, who by his
physique is like mount mahEndhra, and the highest humidifier among all the
humidifiers, namely the Sun, procreated sugreeva. [1-17-10]

Same in kamban's words:

tharuvudaik kadavuL vEndhan saaRRuvaan enadhu kooRu

maruvalarkku asani anna vaaliyum maganum enna

iravi maRRu enadhu kooRu angu avarkku iLaiyavan enRu Odha

ariyum maRRu enadhu kooRu neelan enRu aRaindhittaanaal

- 24 thiru avathaarap padalam baala kaaNdam

We will continue in next post

with due respects

V.ANJANEYULU

POWERGRID