You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00048 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha
srImadh varavara munayE namaha

Dear Sri Varadhan,

Wonderful posting. I would like to add some more to some of your
posts.

--- In ramanuja@xxxx, <tavaradhan@xxxx> wrote:
> srImathE rAmAnujAya namah

[some portion deleted]

> The fact is the svAmi dEsika was an undisputed
> leader in his own right hailing from kAnchipuram.
> Once he moved to srIrangam, it is
> clear (history, even a cursory analysis of
> his works shows that) that he followed the
> guruparampara (svAmi piLLai lOkAchAriAr) at
> that time. I do not say the above to create
> any sort of impression that PL > SD. There
> were just different roles, and they were
> followed.

Yes, this is correct. Actually the thaniyan they say that Sri piLLai
lOkAchAriyar composed on Sri dEsikan is completely untrue. Almost all
the thenkalais too believe this. But the fact is that after Sri
dEsikar got cleared of all his misconceptions from Sri piLLai
lOkAchAriyar, he composed a thaniyan on Sri piLLai lOkAchAriyar and
about 50 slokas called "lOkAchArya panchAsath". The sad part is that
these slokas are in vogue only in ThirunArAyaNapuram now. Recently
these slokas with an excellent commentary on them has been published
by Sri V.V.Ramanujam swamy, a great scholar, residing in
ThiruvallikkENi. I request every one to buy and read it. The cost is
only Rs 25/-

> And svAmi dEsika was accepted by the
> srIvaishNavAs there as well as a great
> AcharyA. Else, there would not be a sannadhi
> for him inside the temple. He is the last
> AchAryA to have a sannadhi inside the temple.
> So, there is no question of all the
> "fights/abuses etc." that svAmi dEsika
> apparently had to undergo having happened.
> All are just concoctions. One just has to
> read something called the 3000-ppadi
> guruparampara to have a glimpse of all
> these concotions. If not for the import of
> the subject, the stories are just laughable.
> {e.g. svAmi azhagiya maNavALa perumAL
> nAyanAr is portrayed as somekind of a thug
> who picked fights/abused svAmi dEsikan! -
> it will make a good movie story. The sad
> part is most people believe the story
> nowadays)

This 3000-padi itself is a concocted one. It is not complied by the
3rd Brahma tantra swatantra jeeyar as the vadagalais claim. Instead
this was created by a fanatic some were in the 19th century and was
affiliated to the parakAla mutt. This account is very clearly given
by Sri P.B.Annangarachariar swamy in his autobiography and other
books. Here Sri Annangarachariar swamy proves that at one point,
stalwarts of the vadagalai sampradhayam, like Sri thirupputkuzhi appA
swAmy et al have confirmed that the 3000-padi is not at all a pramANA.

Regarding the story of azhagiya maNavALaperumAL nAyanaAr case, Sri
A.Krishnamachari of Sri Vaishnava Sri fame, has clearly disproved
this in his magazine "PAnchajanyam" in one of its edition. The point
he proves is clearly undebatable. According to this, when Sri dEsikar
reached Srirangam in his age of 40 (this is accepted by all including
Vadagalais), swAmy azhagiyamaNavALaperumAL nAyanAr had already
attained AchAryan thiruvadi. So how is it possible that he could have
picked up a quarrel with Sri dEsikan.

Also according to the 3000-padi, the elder brother composed a
thaniyan for Sri dEsikar while his younger brother picked up quarrel
with him. As every one knows the thoughts of both these brothers were
always synchronized and once when Sri piLLai lOkAchAriyar was not
available to give a comment on his Sri vachana bhooshaNam, Sri
azhagiyamaNavALaperumAL nAyanAr gave the same with the same thoughts
as that of his elder brother.

Isn't it clear as to how absurd these concoctions are . Instead they
are calling us fanatics.

Many such incidents are there and based upon your replies for my
previous query I will start writing the same in our list.

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia