You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00103 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

> again I don't think there is any evidence for the former,
> other than hearsay, and we know what that's worth.

I would not take the "worthlessness" of "hearsay" very far..We
just do not have a history of recording our history by any other
means other than passing it word of mouth through generations..
sure, there is a strong chance that there were embellishments added
by succeeding generations, but if we look at multiple sources
of available evidence and if the hearsay kind of meshes with the
data we have, then we can conclude that the hearsay indeed is
true..It must be agreed that due to our own biases/cirumstances,
we will tend to lend more weight to "hearsay A" rather than
"hearsay B"... but if one digs deep enough, some facts can indeed
be found that help us form a factual conclusion..

even the vEdAs were passed word of mouth and so were the
nAlAyiram, or for that matter most of our scriptures.. One can
definitely make a case for embellishments in those as well
as they were passed through generations..i.e. how does one prove
that the version of taittiriya upanishad I have is the
*authentic* version? How do i know that the "brahmins" with a vested
interest have NOT added embellishments to it? There is a
book on the "actual version" of gItA written by some person
that takes the above stance..

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
varadhan

Home Page