You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00100 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Bhagavatas,

In reading the histories of Tirupati, I gather that there
is no solid evidence other than hearsay that the sannidhi
of Emberumaanaar was constructed by Tirumalai Anantanpillai.
In epigraphy the first reference to the shrine is in the
13th century or so, at least according to S.K. Ramachandra
Rao's excellent history of the temple. Does anyone have
any evidence to the contrary?

Varadhan has told me of the opinion that the periya (pedda)
jeeyar matha was started by Emberumaanaar and that the
chinna jeeyar matha was started by Maamunigal, but once
again I don't think there is any evidence for the former,
other than hearsay, and we know what that's worth.

regards,
aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Mani

Home Page