AzhvAr EmperumAnAr JIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai
Srinath Venkatakrishnan <srinath_venkatakrishnan@xxxx> wrote:Date: Sun, 6 Apr
2003 05:50:29 +0100 (BST)
From: Srinath Venkatakrishnan
Subject: Re: Nappinnai
To: nappinnai_nc@xxxx, adiyen03@xxxx

Sri Balaji
Smt Nappinnai,
Sometime back i raised some doubts of Nappinnai and me and Mani had some emails
exchanged. As the same topic has again come, i would like to post my earlier
email here. Kindly go thru and throw more light on this to have clarification.
Thanks,
Srinath

Dear Sir,

1. "nappinnai nangai thiruve" is sambodanam i.e it is like "maalE, maaya
perumaanE" or ?maalE manivanna? thus saying clearly nappinnai as thiruve.

2. Vaikundavaasi abhinava dEsika uththamUr Svaami in one of his lectures
explained this word nappinnai as nal+pinnai and gave example (nal+ceLLai-=
nacceLLaiyar, one of the sangam poets.). Here I would like to quote a versefrom
cUdamani nikandu (composed by mandala purushar. published by a desciple of
jafna ARumuga Naavalar year of publication 1917.

irandaavathu makkat peyarth thokuthi

avvaiyammanai payanthaaL ammaiyEyaayEyannai

evvamilaayimOythaa meenRavanaamamonbaan

Cevvithin vaLarththa thaathi kevili(cevili?) kOdaay kaith thaayaam

Thavvai mun piRanthaaL cEttai thangaiyE pinnai thaanE (76)

If mun piRanthaaL is cettai (jYEshta) it automatically says that pin
piRanthavaL thangai ( ilakkumi) that is periya piraatti. So nal pinnai refers
to lakshmi.

Moreover an apt meaning of nappinnai as peria piratti can be na + binna
(inseperable). For this I wish to quote from the same Thriuppaavai (kuththu
viLakkeriya) "eththunai (ttuNNunai) yenum pirvuaaRRa killaayaal (vishnOresha
anapaayini) . Sri Nammaalvaar also says akalalillEn iRaiyumenRu alarmEl mangai
uRai maarba.

3. You have referred the mudal thirvanthathi song

thirumagaLum manmagaLum aaymagaLum sErnthaal

thirumagatkE theernthavaaRu en kol.---thirumagaL mEl

paalOtham chitha pada naakaNaikidantha

maalOtha vaNNar manam.

I referred this to the tamil scholar who is also a vaishnavaite scholar. Hesaid
that ?yaa? refers to iyakkam or action. Aay which is prathibimbamof ?yaa? will
refer to ?iyamillatha nilai? or inaction or inert. He said that it refers to
neela devi only. And moreover he gave a support that ? for this reason only,
neelai who is inert is away from namperumaaL moolavar (srirangam)whereas both
peria piratti and bhudevi will be serving perumaaL. And moreover in the same
pasuram, alwar says that ?you get attached to thirumagaL only..why?
thirumagatkE theernthavaaRu en kol?? His marriage or union can happen only with
peria piratti. That is why nappinnai who is thiruve was married by Krishna.
Please note that character of nappinnai is not there in bagavatham or
mahabaratham and it is only at south. Incident of Krishna ?Conquering seven
bulls? again cannot be seen in the north Indian literatures. I feel that these
are all personifications of somevedic metaphors to take to common people. So
there is no contradiction in alwar's statement. He refers to aaymagal as neela
devi and establishes that he got attached to the periapiraati only because he
is inseperable( na+binna).

So we can say

a). thirumagaL i.e nappinnai is different from aaymagaL

b) nappinnai is referred as thiruve in 20th pasuram (sambodanam)

Keeping all these in mind, my original question remains same. (why in thaniyan
Krishna resting on neela is referred whereas Andal has sung about Krishna
resting on peria piratti. Ref: thirupavai pasuram 19& 20).

Thanks

Srinath