You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00017 Feb 2004

Asmad Gurubhyo Namaha
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
> "Ganesha' was of course a Vedic Demi God. No doubt about that.
> He wrote Mahabharatha on the request /Dictation of Sri Vedvyasa.

Dear Swami,

Per authentic Vaishnava scholars(I had asked about this to different
scholars who do kalakshepams), Ganesha did not write Mahabharatha.
Vyasa himself wrote Mahabharatha as he wrote all the 18 puranas. It
seems that, the story that Ganesha wrote Mahabharatha with his
broken/ever growing tusk(s), is yet another interpolation
(idaiccherugal).

I apologize for my mistakes if any.

Adiyen
Ramanuja Dasan
--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Kazhiyur Narayanan \(Home\)"
<sriramajayam@xxxx> wrote:
> Sri Kasturi rangan,
>
> "Ganesha' was of course a Vedic Demi God. No doubt about that.
> He wrote Mahabharatha on the request /Dictation of Sri Vedvyasa.
>
> However, worship of 'Ganesha' as a primoridla God started in Tamil
nadu after Vathapi was burnt down by Pallva kings while on fight with
Pulekesi.

> There was a famous Nayanmar (Later called as Siruthondar), who
fought against Vathapi kingdom, found out an Idol of
> Ganesha among the ruins of Vathapi.
>
> This sight changed his mind and he took that idol to Tamil kingdom.
>
> Ever since that time, Ganesha's worship became famous.
>
> Even before Pallava kings, the works of Nayanmars, like
Thirumandiram etc has many emntion of Ganesha.

> The Suklambharathram slokam is for Vishvakesena only.
> The uttara part of the slokam clearly salutes elephant faced with
2 trunks.

> Ganesha is has only single trunk. In tamil he is also called
as 'Aingkaran' due to this.

> Ganesha as a primordial diety was later added on with many stories
(Puranams) which does not have
> approval from Vedantic scholors.
>
> Regards
> KM Narayanan