You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00047 Feb 2004

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
Dear Soundar,
As per AcArya Hrdayam,Buddha is one avatAram. I can't
quote the sutra off-handedly like Sri Padmanabhan. I can refer and
tell you tomorrow. Balarama is not an avatAram for us(among the
10),if I'm right! Even in Srimad bhAgavatham,buddha is mentioned as
one among the ten incarnations. I don't know what remarks Sri
Jayadeva passed.

AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, vimalkumar ranganathan
<panardasan@xxxx> wrote:
> Sri:
>
> Respected SriVaishnavAs,
>
> Many fora, many discussions on this topic. I want to encapsulate
them all in a single mail. According to Sri Vaishnavism, the 10
AvatArAs of Lord Sriman Narayana are:

> 1) Matsya
> 2) kUrma
> 3) VarAhA
> 4) Nrsimha
> 5) vAmanA
> 6) parasurAmA
> 7) rAmA
> 8) balarAmA
> 9) KrSnA
> 10) KalkI.
>
> Has balarAmA been glorified by the AzhwArs or the AzAryAs??
>
> And one more, the poet Jayadeva calls Buddha as an avataara, but
our AzhwArs tear Buddha and his philosophy to pieces. Is the Buddha
referred by JayadeEvA the same as "Adhi Buddha" or does Jayadeva
glorify Gautama Buddha himself?? And what is the stand of our
Sampradayam with respect to Buddha??