You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00040 Feb 2004

Sri:

Respected SriVaishnavAs,

Many fora, many discussions on this topic. I want to encapsulate them all in a
single mail. According to Sri Vaishnavism, the 10 AvatArAs of Lord Sriman
Narayana are:

1) Matsya
2) kUrma
3) VarAhA
4) Nrsimha
5) vAmanA
6) parasurAmA
7) rAmA
8) balarAmA
9) KrSnA
10) KalkI.

Has balarAmA been glorified by the AzhwArs or the AzAryAs??

And one more, the poet Jayadeva calls Buddha as an avataara, but our AzhwArs
tear Buddha and his philosophy to pieces. Is the Buddha referred by JayadeEvA
the same as "Adhi Buddha" or does Jayadeva glorify Gautama Buddha himself?? And
what is the stand of our Sampradayam with respect to Buddha??

Dasan,
Kidambi Soundararajan.