You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00051 Feb 2004

Asmad Gurubhyo Namaha
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Shriman Soundararajan,
I am sharing what I know on this subject. I apologize in case of
mistakes.

Some avathaaraas are not much glorified by Azhwars. Those are
Matsya, Koorma, Parasurama, Balarama and Kalki. Periyazhwar did
summarize all these dasaavataras though:
"Thenudaya meenamaai, aamayaai, enamaai, ariyaai, kuralaai,
moondruruviraamanaai, kannanaai, kalkiyai mudippan kovil..."

Parasurama has been in fact depicted as an angry person from whom
Shri Rama grabbed the Dhanus and along with it his anger & thapas.
As Parasurama and Balarama are more of aavesa avathaarams, they
aren't glorified to much extent. But there are references to these
in quite a few pasurams of azhwars.

Choodikkoduttha chudarkkodi says, "Baladevarkkor
keezhkkandrai", "semporkazhal adi selva baladeva" etc.

Thiru Arangatthamudhanaar (author of Ramanusa Nootrandhadhi) says:
"Kokkula mannarai moovezhukaal, orr koor mazhuvaal, pokkiya devanai
pottrum punidhan" i.e Ramanuja worshipped that lord who destroyed 21
generations of the kshatriyas with a sharp axe - Parasurama.

Regarding buddha, few of our scholars say that it was Shriman
Narayana who came as him to spread the naasthika matham to maintain
a balance. I am not sure whether this is authentic. Even if this is
true, it is definitely not a part of the 10 avataarams. It would be
more of a side track like Hayagreeva, Hamsa avataarams.

I am sure other learned scholars might come up with more information.

Sarva aparaadhaan kshamasva

Azhwaar Emperumaanaar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam

adiyen,
Ramanuja Dasan

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, vimalkumar ranganathan
<panardasan@xxxx> wrote:
> Sri:
>
> Respected SriVaishnavAs,
>
> Many fora, many discussions on this topic. I want to encapsulate
them all in a single mail. According to Sri Vaishnavism, the 10
AvatArAs of Lord Sriman Narayana are:

> 1) Matsya
> 2) kUrma
> 3) VarAhA
> 4) Nrsimha
> 5) vAmanA
> 6) parasurAmA
> 7) rAmA
> 8) balarAmA
> 9) KrSnA
> 10) KalkI.
>
> Has balarAmA been glorified by the AzhwArs or the AzAryAs??
>
> And one more, the poet Jayadeva calls Buddha as an avataara, but
our AzhwArs tear Buddha and his philosophy to pieces. Is the Buddha
referred by JayadeEvA the same as "Adhi Buddha" or does Jayadeva
glorify Gautama Buddha himself?? And what is the stand of our
Sampradayam with respect to Buddha??