You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00074 Feb 2004

AchArya Hrdhyam suthram 224
The Sixth Ten Contd.
What can be my grievance- hassle-free- Who Else can be my Lord?.
"vurugAmal varithadhum naNNi vaNanga palithavAREA sabrugamAga sakrutha
karaNEyamenRu -purANa paurANigar thyAjyAmsam Akkina......"

vARum?
That thiru-voi-mozhi extensively talks about the deed of em-perumAn.Was AzhwAer
able to cherish these deeds without any hassles? No. The talk of the Lord's
deeds made his mind to melt time and again, thus disturbing the enjoyment
repeatedly. Aftter having invoked Him as the means"nAgaNai misai nam-pirAn
charaNEA charaN namakku enRu" 5-10-11, AzhwAr was able to chrish and relish His
deeds happily and proclaims in the "kuravai Aichiyar" thiru voi mozhi (6-4) " I
have worshipped the Lord Almighty. What grievance can I have?" "Who else can be
my Lord?"

What are to be left out completely while surrendering. The list is long '
father, mother, wife, relatives, friends, teachers, wealth etc, all type of
dharmam-s, all type of goals, kaivalyam-soul's one enjoyment ' are to be left
out.
Where this is spelt out? In the ninth purANam bhavishyadh purANam.This was
adopted by Sri bhAshyakArar in 'Gadhyam' where those which have to be
relinquished while surrendering is precisely mentioned. Hence, the author
states --purANa paurANigar thyAjyAmsam Akkina'.

pAsuram-s: Was AzhwAr able to cherish the Lord's deeds in the "piRandhavARum"
thiru -voi-mozhi. NO. Why? he started melting on thinking of the deeds.

"niRandhan vUdu pukku enadhu Aviyai ninRu ninRu vurukki vuNginRa" thiru voi
mozhi 5-10-1;--->Oh! Lord, YOur deeds pierce into me and melts and eats me.

"paiyavE nilayum vandhu en nenjai vurukkungaLEA" -thiru voi mozhi 5-10-3-->
"Lord krishNA! your deeds are slowly melting me"

"vUdu pukku enadhAviyai vurukki vuNdiduginRa" --> thiru voi mozhi 5-10-10-- The
Lord's deeds pierces into Azhwar and melts the soul.

Due to this state of affairs, AzhwAr was not able to cheirsh the Lord's deeds
in a hassle-free manner.

However, this problem was sorted out in "kuravai Aichiyar" thiru voi mozhi 6-4.
azhwAr was able to enjoy and declare that " Who else can be my Lord. I have
worshipped Him"

"enna kuRai enakkEA/namakkEa' 6-4-1--> I am able to experience and relish His
deeds. Absolutely no grievance for Him.

AzhwAr thus was able to enjoy the Lord's deeds and auspicious qualities at all
times and declares
" Who else can be my Lord" "enakkAr piRar nAyakarEA" -- 6-4-10

What are the deeds experienced by AzhwAr
kuravai kOthal, gOvardhana giri, kALiyan, etc. etc. etc. (utpada maRRum
pala)--6-4-1--enna kuRai-Can there be any grievance for me?
Lord's flute music, taking carfe of the cows, nappinnai pirAtti, etc. etc. etc.
etc. ( maRRum pala)-enakku evvulagam nigarEA-- can any world be equal to me?
6-4-2;

vanqusihing the wrestlers, kuvalaiyApEtam, --what can be my pain? --enakkenna
nOvadhuvEA?--6-4-3;

vuralOdum kattuNdal, bhUthanA nirasanam, sakatAsuran ---enakku enn ini
vEANduvadhEa?-- what else can I want? 6--4-4;

entering the Aik kulam in the darkness, demolishing kamsan, ---enakku enna igal
vuLadhEa?-- Is there any opposition to me? -- 6-4-5;

bhakAsura vadham, kurundhosithal, etc. etc. etc. (maRRum pala) -- >enakku enna
manap parippEa- is there any desire left out? 6-4-6;

I have enjoyed all the deeds of the Lord ---Can there be anyone equal to me--->
enakk iniyAr nigar in nEL nilathEA--6-4-7;
vAnAsura vadham, etc. etc. etc.vutpada maRRum pala, vAmanan---what can be my
grief-- enakku enna kalakkam vuNdEA? -6-4-8;

I have talked about the Great Lord who is the controller of all these worlds--
> is there anybody par with me? --> mARu vuLadhO immaN misaiyEA?--6-4-9;

I have worshipped Lord krishNA who has conducted the battle of bhAratham -->
Can there be any other Lord to me--enakku Ar piRAr nAyakarEa? 6-4-10

enna kuRai namakkEA?

(to be continued)
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Home Page