You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00076 Feb 2004

SrimathE rAmAnujaya Namaha,

Dear Sri Vishnu,

You are right emperuman doesn't expect anything from us. Only this fact has
stopped mandhi bhuddis like adiyen from doing anything properly. Adiyen has the
lowest of the lowest anushtanam ('neesanEn niraivondrumilEn' but emperuman does
shower his grace on me too 'enkan pAsam vaiththa param sudar jOdhi'). But this
doesn't add any fame as we are setting an wrong example for the generations to
come. That is why atleast by words adiyen insisted the necessity of following
our acharya's anushtanams (practically adiyen follows zero and hence has/is
doing the maximum apacharams possible but atleast feels for adiyen's
incapability and each moment begs the pardon from bhagavan and our acharyas for
the same). Only when we get the ultimate qualification of "sarva dharmAn
parithyajya" we can leave everything (here remember we should leave everything
not do one thing which we like to do and leave that which is difficult or
boring to do). But even if we leave now it is not going to affect us in anyway
since we have the strength of our acharyas who will take us straight to the
divine feet of emperuman ("jnAna anushtAnamivai nandrAgavE udaiyanAna guruvai
adaindhakkAl thEnAr kamala thirumAmagal kozhunan thAnE vaikundam tarum"). As a
Srivaishnavite it is enough if we just get immersed in the arulicheyals of
azhvars and acharyas and spend our time (kalashepam) with bhagavat/bhagavata
kainkaryam. In that case, we should refrain ourselves from doing rituals like
ayushhomam, marriage homams, gruhapravesa homams etc also (if you are willing
to do such homams then we have to satisfy the basic qualification for the same.
Sastras say that one who has left sandhi is not eligible for any of these
rituals. so we either leave all these or do them with the necessary
qualification else it doesn't serve the purpose atall and it is sheer waste of
time). Actually we have to purify our new homes only with the padhadhooli of a
bhagavata and cherish the same like periya nambigal. How many of us arrange for
recitation of 4000 paasurams and grand dhadheeyArAdhanam to bhagavatas atleast
for all so called auspicious occasions in our life? (actually only such a
recitation and bhagavata kainkaryam is auspicious occasions in our life). Let
us stop discussing whether we have do sandhi or not and concentrate on more
constructive subjects (bhagavat anubhavams). It is no harm in us spending 15 to
30 mts in a day for doing sandhi as a kainkaryam to emperuman and then spending
our day with bhagavat/bhagavata kainkaryams. Nothing is for our pleasure
everything is only for his happiness ("padiyAi kidandhu vun pavalavAi kAnbEnE")

All mistakes are due to adiyen's ignorance so please forgive them.

Alwar empermAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam
Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan