You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00070 Feb 2004

> Sandhyavandhanam has been prescribed by the sastras and emperuman
himself declares that "shruthi smriti mamai Agya...AgyA chebhi mama
drOhi mama bhakthai.. na vaishnavA:" So we have no right to feel the
orders of emperuman to be boring and leave them. Our acharyas give
us only an exemption when it clashes with visEsha dharmam
(bhagavat/bhAgavata kainkaryam). Are all of us always involved in
kainkaryam? Then sandhi need not be done. But we do lot of lowkika
jobs then why leave the sastric rituals with fake excuses.

Dear Ms Sumithra,

u r right in saying that we are all in lowkika jobs. Also it is tru
that SrI rAmAnuja and varavara were the best examples of vedic
ascetics, much better than the Rushis of prev yugas. however, most of
their time was spent in the primary anushtAnam of propagating the
aruLiccheyals of AlwArs. If we lowkikas spend time in rituals, what
about following the sampradAyam?

It is true that Lord says:
Sruti smurti mamaiva AgnA.. etc. But what do the SAstras say about a
bhAgavata? Anyone who is not averse to paying obeisance to Him is a
bhAgavata (Periya Thirumozhi .. kadanmallai pASurams). then where is
the expectation by God for us to do something?

Also why should we take the SlOka quoted by you terms of rituals? why
not in terms of morals and good conduct (which has more relevance in
terms of bhAgavata kainkaryam - a primary anushtAnam)?

>If we are true followers of Swamy Ramanuja then we should follow his
>anushtanam. Swamy who had such great paripakam could have easily
>left doing
>sandhya vandhanam and concentrated in azhvar paasurams alone but he
>didnt do
>that.

As I said primary anushtAnam is adherence to Alwars' aruLichheyals
(again not ritualistically chanting "naharam aruL purindhu..", "neri
vASal thAnEyAy ninrAnai.." etc. without practising the meaning
therein). Sri Bhattar says that a Srivaishnava should live like a
hen, where he indicates that one has to primarily concentrate on the
quintessence of all Sastras i.e. the prabandham (which itself is the
primary Sastra).

also it is for emberumAn to put us in any kanikaryam He wants
(samuchitA vrtti .. as said in ashtaSlOkI). So one need not feel he
is going against Sastras if he does not to sandhyA. our God does not
have any expectation from us and no practice can be an
exception, right! at the same time, one can do it as a kainkaryam.

> There should be only a change in attitude while doing them.
>Srivaishnavas, should do sandhya vandhanam as a kainkaryam to
>emperuman (following his words gives him happiness) and for not any
>other result. At this point remember Sri Pillai ulagariyan's
>sutra "karmamum kainkaryaththilE pugum".

Sri PiLLai lOkAchArya says "karma can also join kainkaryam
(karmamum...)".

> Doing sandhya vandhanam will not achieve Srivaishnavas any results
>as they have to do it only as a kainkaryam to emperuman but not
>doing will surely create unhappiness in emperuman's minds as we are
>disregarding his words.

As I said, He does not have any expectaion from us so does not become
unhappy. Also we are not disregarding His words (ref. "naharam aruL
purindhu..." is His AgnA).

Our AchAryas say (in commentaries) we have to do anything we do for
His happiness. Then does it not become an effort on our part and
contradict their own words that He is the upAya? To this, what I heard
is, like a slave who tries to please his master, we should also do
whatever we do in the mood of pleasing Him. We should not think
whatever we are doing is for our pleasure. That is what our AchAryas
mean.

> "Avan manam kanni pOga nAm kAranamAgalAmA?" >Srivaishnavas need not
>do anything he will grant moksha by his >nirheduka krupai but can we
>just sit without going kainkaryam for >his happiness? We can spend
>our time (kAlashEpam) primely with >bhagavat/bhAgavata vishayam but
>how much time will it take to do all >the daily routines prescribed
>by our sastras for our varnAshrama.

To do all the daily routines will certainly take a lot of time.
definitely sandhyAvandanam does not take much time.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Vishnu

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia